Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2815459 times)

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #1125 on: January 31, 2010, 08:14:14 pm »

Oh no, I meant it in the broad sense - your battle fleet can light up the enemies for your fast attack group. As long as any ship under your control has detected an enemy ship with the active sensors, any ship under your control can shoot at them.

I just meant that any fleet that's operating alone - as in no other ships nearby - needs an active sensor.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1126 on: January 31, 2010, 08:32:50 pm »

How do i tell how far my deep space tracking system reaches?

Also it says i need jump drive efficiency tech to make jump drives, but in my research tab I can research jump drive efficiency 3......doesn't that mean i already have 1 and 2 and can make jump drives?

Also, does a jump gate construction ship need cargo for the resources it needs to build the jump gate?

Also, would it be a good idea to use radiation missiles against ships, or save those for planets?
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 08:42:30 pm by Micro102 »

Paul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1127 on: January 31, 2010, 08:42:57 pm »

Go to the system map screen (F3), sensors tab, then check "Show Passive Sensor Ranges." After that you adjust the slider bar to the strength you're checking range against (the sensors on planets are EM and Thermal, so you have to check their range vs a target strength).

Jump efficiency 3 is the first efficiency tech, you have to research it before making jump engines.

And they don't need resources - you just need the module and the time. It used to take resources, but I think the creator removed it because it was deemed too much micro management to ship resources to every jump gate construction site.

-edit- I think radiation missiles are just for killing population. They do less damage, so probably wouldn't be good against ships. I'm not sure if they can kill the ship's crew or not, but I have never seen any radiation rating for ships so I don't think it's effective against ships.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 08:48:13 pm by Paul »
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1128 on: January 31, 2010, 08:57:50 pm »

How do i match passive sensor strength with range?

Can i build active sensors on planets, or are those just for PDC's?

What's up with wealth?  have more expenditures then income, but i can't find a total...what does it even do?
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 09:00:22 pm by Micro102 »

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #1129 on: January 31, 2010, 08:57:57 pm »

Well, you could build a ship mountable system, fast OB it into existance, try it out and report back. A ship with no crew can't operate.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #1130 on: January 31, 2010, 08:59:28 pm »

Well, sense PDC are on colonies, then they would have have one. You'll need to go into the PDC TG, and turn one on.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #1131 on: January 31, 2010, 09:00:41 pm »

Well, sense PDC are on colonies, then they would have have one. You'll need to go into the PDC TG, and turn one on.

The game doesn't really penalize you for building a prototype ship. Just dont make an unsure ship the bulk of your fleet.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1132 on: January 31, 2010, 09:03:19 pm »

No i mean can i just drop some sort of active sensor onto a planet, or do i need to build a PDC first? I'm contemplating making fast attack groups only defend my planets and need to know.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1133 on: January 31, 2010, 09:16:23 pm »

You have to have it on something like a PDC.

You could build a really big active sensor and put it on a PDC to scan the surrounding area.

Haha, I just looked and at my sensor tech (80) I could build an active sensor with resolution 80 (4000 ton ships) that would detect them out to a range of 3.2 billion km. Thats not even close to the potential range of the passive sensors on planets, but it's pretty far.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1134 on: January 31, 2010, 09:28:19 pm »

My PDC isn't coming up in the class design. I may have obsoleted it, where can i un-obsolete it?

Paul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1135 on: January 31, 2010, 09:45:42 pm »

Go to the class design window. Bottom right of that is a box "Hide Obsolete." Uncheck it and it should show up in the list, unless you deleted it.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1136 on: January 31, 2010, 09:49:39 pm »

Yeah it was already unchecked, i must of deleted it because it sucked...when I deleted it I didn't realize that changing the design would change all the ships even if built.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #1137 on: January 31, 2010, 10:03:03 pm »

What's up with wealth?  have more expenditures then income, but i can't find a total...what does it even do?

What does wealth do any other game?

On the menu that let you see the research, shipyard stuff, there a tab marked wealth it'll give you an expenditure and income of last month. It'll show what your most expensive items are.

You can encourage civvie trade, buy researching expanding the civie econ. You can build commercial space ports, which will also reduce un/load for ships. You can build financial centers, and like anything else, you'll need triple digit to get any real production out of it. Once you get around two hundred, fully manned, they be the second most contribution to your econ, beside taxes.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1138 on: January 31, 2010, 10:18:07 pm »

Yeah but what does wealth do? I don't use money to build ships, industry, or anything. I can't find how much money i saved up. Does having negative wealth slow production? Do i use it to trade with aliens?

Also, this mineral packet has been building up slowly on mars...Can i build anything that will make loading the minerals faster?

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1139 on: January 31, 2010, 10:24:02 pm »

If your wealth is negative, your production will be slowed. Further, you use your wealth to interact with the civilian economy; if you want to buy minerals from civvie mine sites, that's gonna cost you wealth. Likewise if you wish to subsidise a shipping line, it takes 1000 wealth.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 1347