Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 748 749 [750] 751 752 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2818289 times)

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #11235 on: August 16, 2012, 12:50:30 am »

I found a rather amusing list of possible ship names, but am unsure of how to turn it into a theme. In advance, I've removed all spaces and other punctuation. Selecting "add ship names" doesn't seem to do anything, but the other option is to add an entire new theme, for which I lack files, but like the defaults for commanders/system names.
Please don't let textbooks invade Bay12.
The Conquistadors only have the faintest idea of what the modern world is like when they are greeted by two hostile WWI Veterans riding on a giant potato; Welcome to 2016.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11236 on: August 16, 2012, 12:54:26 am »

Remember that themes will only give you class names rather than names for individual ships (apart from [class name] ### and such). As for actually making a theme, I've never done so, but I seem to recall that it was pretty simple. Should be instructions on the official forums/wiki if nothing else.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11237 on: August 16, 2012, 01:21:15 am »

The themes are pretty cool. I just have serious issues when the game auto-names the systems based on the theme. You're supposed to be able to change it in the galactic map but whenever I do it it just reverts back to my race theme.

Especially since I like the elemental theme and it names every system hydrogen and helium and nothing else.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #11238 on: August 16, 2012, 04:47:28 am »

Renaming systems should be done on the system details screen for it to stick.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #11239 on: August 16, 2012, 04:50:26 am »

The next system you discover will have the name of the one your renamed though, so once you rename a system you will have to rename them all.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 05:46:11 am by Dutchling »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11240 on: August 16, 2012, 11:04:37 am »

Or you could just pick a theme that doesn't give annoying names.  :P

Bleh. Found the real source of my slowdown: a binary system with an ongoing 3-way battle between an NPR, Invaders, and a pair of Swarm Queens. At the moment, it looks like the Invaders are busy bombarding the NPR's worlds; I'm not sure if the Queens are still alive, as the last I saw of them was one of them sitting on a massive pile of wrecks. I'm debating deleting the system altogether, as I don't really need any Invader salvage and I want to get on with the game, but it'd be an interesting battle if I ever get a fleet out there, and the system itself is sort of neat.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 06:41:36 pm by Flying Dice »

3. Run Resize Enable

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #11241 on: August 16, 2012, 06:43:57 pm »

Okay, this is kind of annoying. Whenever I increment time, it goes forward a seemingly random amount and stops. There's no annoucments in the log to suggest why, just the number of seconds in the increment.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11242 on: August 16, 2012, 06:57:51 pm »

That's new. Perhaps you should report it on the official forums?
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11243 on: August 16, 2012, 06:59:27 pm »

I get that occasionally, but it usually doesn't last very long. (1ish week of game time) Are you certain that it isn't simply events which cause interrupts? Fleets completing orders, among other things, will automatically end a tick.

3. Run Resize Enable

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11244 on: August 16, 2012, 07:01:09 pm »

A fleet completing orders will usually leave an announcement, though. Something like "GeoSurv 005 has completed orders."
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11245 on: August 16, 2012, 07:02:57 pm »

Ah, misread your post, ignore my previous one.

Maybe some NPRs are detecting one another or you? I seem to remember sensor updates stopping time.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #11246 on: August 16, 2012, 07:04:18 pm »

That's possible, I suppose, although I don't have very many fleets running around, and most of the ones I do have are on the same kind of automated cargo loops or survey setups that never caused this before. There's absolutely nothing in the event log, though. Been going on for almost a year now.

Those were all supposed to be 30-day increments.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11247 on: August 16, 2012, 07:09:13 pm »

Do you have SM mode on, by any chance? If not, close the event window, turn it on, and try running another turn. I seem to recall that having SM mode enabled would tell you why turns were being interrupted.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11248 on: August 16, 2012, 07:12:37 pm »

All I can think of is repeated sensor contacts, as I've noticed that those don't always show up on the events ticker or the Events window. Other than that, I don't know. If it was NPRs fighting, you'd have a bunch of 5-second turns, and if it was the infinite-pursuit loop, they'd all be 1-day turns.

In my own news, I just lost a scout because apparently an activated R1 AS with a 6m km range can't detect Swarm Soldiers at 20k km. -___-

3. Run Resize Enable

Another

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11249 on: August 16, 2012, 07:23:47 pm »

It was most likely just Soldiers moving towards the scout and the game did not automatically readjust the sub-pulse length and they closed the last gap in one time jump without sensors ever getting a chance to see them at intermediate distances.

It is possible to code for more accurate intercepts without causing almost any additional slowdown but that was apparently not done.
Pages: 1 ... 748 749 [750] 751 752 ... 1347