Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 746 747 [748] 749 750 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2818251 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #11205 on: August 13, 2012, 07:58:50 pm »

That went rather well. Took down four Invader warships with only 13 losses from my FAC distraction force and none at all from my real warships. Well, that and around 7000 missiles, but a good 2/3 of those were S1 SBMs designed to saturate enemy PD, which the invaders have very little of. In any case, I made a clean getaway with a good selection of loot: 1 Absorption shield, 11 plasma torpedo launchers, 18 inertial confinement drives, 6 active sensors, 2 ECM-6, 2 ECCM-6, 1 C-ECCM-5, one each of STR-24 thermal and EM sensors, and a few thousand tons of minerals. That, and some RP towards armor and turret tracking speed. Delicious, sweet research, the best reward in all the cosmos.  :)

It is rather satisfying hitting something with a wave of missiles so large that it takes fifteen minutes to process a 5 second turn.

Bleh, trying to remember the RP cost for the initial plasma torp techs.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 10:46:10 pm by Flying Dice »

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11206 on: August 14, 2012, 12:26:36 am »

It is rather satisfying hitting something with a wave of missiles so large that it takes fifteen minutes to process a 5 second turn.
I have a new goal in life.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11207 on: August 14, 2012, 01:52:43 am »

I have a new goal in life.

Bonus points for hitting their fleet from every side. Surround and conquer.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11208 on: August 14, 2012, 08:57:52 am »

Just be warned it takes a LOT of ground units to occupy each planet - something like 25 or 30 garrison battalions each just to occupy, on top of a few divisions of combat + replacement troops to do the capturing, so start cranking em out early.   And it does take a few years of occupation to assimilate the populations, but the added facilities and taxes are DAMN sweet...
Not to mention having a ready stock of population for those less-than-optimal planets. I'm currently doing a game where my main race is extremophilic, with a base oxygen level of 0.68, base temp of 65 C and base gravity of about 2.5. Needless to say, not much is habitable for them.

For RP reasons, I'm also eschewing terraforming completely. Instead, their plan is to find and subjugate various NPR races, then genetically engineer them to tailor them to specific planets. Only wrinkle so far is that I haven't found any NPRs other than Precursors and Swarm.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11209 on: August 14, 2012, 11:20:15 am »

Dam....I'm still having trouble not running out of resources.... How do you guys get the materials for this stuff.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #11210 on: August 14, 2012, 12:13:08 pm »

Dam....I'm still having trouble not running out of resources.... How do you guys get the materials for this stuff.

Geosurvey team on everything(planets and moons)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11211 on: August 14, 2012, 12:25:05 pm »

That, and that after fully surveying around a dozen systems or so, I've usually found a 10m+ ton source of every mineral.

3. Run Resize Enable

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #11212 on: August 14, 2012, 01:09:10 pm »

The homeworld minerals thing gives a seriously low number of minerals for earth compared to what the RNG would give a world of the same size. Thousands instead of millions. In the next version the geo survey team thing is being changed to make a new random mineral generation for the world on all minerals, giving the higher of the current and the new gen numbers.

This will probably mean that surveying Earth will usually generate millions of various minerals, since that's what the random mineral generation for a world Earth's size would do. Should be interesting to see how the new surveying works out.

I'm not sure how he's implementing it, but if he's not keeping data on how much has already been mined from the world and just using current mineral numbers it sounds like it would be better to mine a planet or asteroid to the point of being nearly devoid of minerals before surveying it with a team, since if it finds a new source of a mineral it would replace the old number whether or not you mined it out already.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11213 on: August 14, 2012, 01:21:05 pm »

The homeworld minerals thing gives a seriously low number of minerals for earth compared to what the RNG would give a world of the same size. Thousands instead of millions. In the next version the geo survey team thing is being changed to make a new random mineral generation for the world on all minerals, giving the higher of the current and the new gen numbers.

This will probably mean that surveying Earth will usually generate millions of various minerals, since that's what the random mineral generation for a world Earth's size would do. Should be interesting to see how the new surveying works out.

I'm not sure how he's implementing it, but if he's not keeping data on how much has already been mined from the world and just using current mineral numbers it sounds like it would be better to mine a planet or asteroid to the point of being nearly devoid of minerals before surveying it with a team, since if it finds a new source of a mineral it would replace the old number whether or not you mined it out already.
If the team finds something that already exists it add to the original number.

Also: The home world mineral situation is that way to incentive expansion, instead of the player just building more (auto) mines forever in it.
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11214 on: August 14, 2012, 01:37:05 pm »

If the team finds something that already exists it add to the original number.

Also: The home world mineral situation is that way to incentive expansion, instead of the player just building more (auto) mines forever in it.

I'm talking about what's coming up in the next version (5.7). In addition to all the changes to engines and crew and the Sol system and such, he's revamping the survey mechanic.

If the check is successful a new mineral generation check takes place for that body. This check is identical to the one performed when the system was originally generated, except the chance for each individual mineral to be generated is 25% of normal...
For example, assume a planet currently has:

Duranium: 100,000 at 0.8
Neutronium 50,000 at 0.6
Tritanium: 25,000 at 0.7

The team makes a successful survey completion roll and a new mineral generation check is performed.
A deposit of 30,000 tons of Gallicite is generated. There is no existing Gallicite deposit so that new deposit is added to the planet.
A deposit of 160,000 tons of Duranium at 0.7 accessibility is generated. The existing deposit is changed to 160,000 and retains the existing 0.8 accessibility
A deposit of 20,000 tons of accessibility 0.9 Neitronium is generated, The existing deposit remains at 50,000 tons and the accessibility is increased to 0.9.
No new Tritanium deposit is found so that remains as it is.

This stands to reason that Earth will tend to generate millions of certain new minerals when you do a survey in 5.7, since it's doing the standard mineral generation for Earth with the chance of finding each one reduced to 25% of what it would normally be. Doing a mineral gen for Earth by regenning the system usually results in deposits of millions of minerals in most or sometimes even all of the categories, so a survey of Earth would likely find at least one huge deposit of millions of minerals when you do the survey - and might find a bunch of them depending on your luck.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11215 on: August 14, 2012, 01:47:43 pm »

Stands to reason too...it can be assumed that your species has been steadily consuming all the resources of your planet of the last few thousands years of pre-TN civilization (even if they couldn't use them, they might have been consumed as part of conventional ores and whatnot)

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11216 on: August 14, 2012, 02:04:46 pm »

Except that the TN minerals are supposed to be in the core. There isn't any lore reason for the home worlds to have such crappy minerals, it's just a gameplay thing supposedly to encourage you to explore (and cripple NPRs so that they suffer a quick mineral crash and are absolutely never a threat to you, woo).

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11217 on: August 14, 2012, 02:11:16 pm »

I've always preferred a technobabble explanation that puts T/Ns in "hyperspace" (or the Celestial Planes, choose your flavor, etc.); mining facilities are actually opening rifts partially out of the universe in order to mine T/N minerals.

3. Run Resize Enable

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11218 on: August 14, 2012, 04:08:21 pm »

I always think of them as "space-age" alloys that we only recently perfected the ability to create. Instead of mining rare Unobtanium, you're mining the requisite elements/compounds needed to make the alloy.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11219 on: August 14, 2012, 05:35:31 pm »

That works as well, and isn't really any more or less nonsensical. After all, as most of us have probably joked as well, they could just as easily be called things like "Fuelonium", "Everythingium", "Electronium", "Researchium", "Fighterite", and so on. When you're breaking physics, the exact way in which you do so doesn't matter very much.

3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 746 747 [748] 749 750 ... 1347