Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 731 732 [733] 734 735 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2817677 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #10980 on: August 02, 2012, 08:50:29 am »

Ah, nothing quite like the feeling of spending a free afternoon setting up a new game. I'm falling back into my old RP-intensive habits, but at least I haven't started giving individual names to my freighters yet.
I tried using Designer Mode to give individual names to my civilian freighters.  :-\
I do wish you could specify default naming conventions for your civvies.

As far as the laser range thing, consider that the top researchable FC range is 170,000km. That's for 50% accuracy. So max range is double that, or 340,000km. If you're willing to bulk up your FC, you could extend that x4, to 1,320,000km. And if the FC is a PDC-only design, you get an additional 50% bonus to max range, so you're looking at a theoretical max targeting range of 1,980,000km. With a 50% threshold of 990,000km. And that's in addition to the "attenuated damage" thing people have mentioned. So yeah, there's definitely a utility to having beams with crazy long range.

EDIT: Game seems to respect the speed of light (roughly). Beam weapons are limited to 1.5Mkm range because that's roughly the distance of 5 light-seconds (and the smallest possible combat increment is 5 seconds). It's respected elsewhere in the game as well.

Even with an overthrusted photonic fighter engine and stripped down to minimum weight (command module, tiny fuel tank, fighter engineering space), the fastest fighter I can design is 270,000km/s (just a hair over 0.9c).

And in missile design, there appears to be a speed cap of 300,000 km/s. Technically that's faster than light-speed (299,792.45 km/s) but Steve appears to be rounding for simplicity, as the max beam weapon range of 1.5Mkm in a 5s burst also works out to 300,000 km/s.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 10:17:34 am by RedKing »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
  • Changing avatar text since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #10981 on: August 02, 2012, 10:29:38 am »

Built a jumpgate, sent Cargo TG to deliver infrastructure to soon-be-colonized planet, found out that jump gates are one-way.

well fuck, at least it's not too far from Earth

Is it normal for Black Holes to have a lot of jump points? Because I have surveyed two 'rings' of survey locations, and I already have discovered 8 new JPs.

Also, any cheap, reliable and fair laser design for early game? I kinda have one, but don't feel it's right, just take a look

Code: [Select]
12cm C2 Visible Light Laser
Damage Output 4     Rate of Fire: 10 seconds     Range Modifier: 2
Max Range 80,000 km     Laser Size: 4 HS    Laser HTK: 2
Power Requirement: 4    Power Recharge per 5 Secs: 2
Cost: 8    Crew: 40
Materials Required: 1.6x Duranium  1.6x Boronide  4.8x Corundium

Development Cost for Project: 80RP

I think that's, like, the first laser you can design in game.

EDIT: I managed to design some very simple missiles, launchers and magazines, and get an early-tech Missile... that's the problem - how to make a Fighter class ship an actual fighter? Either way, I got this design:

Furious class Fighter-bomber    750 tons     74 Crew     117.2 BP      TCS 15  TH 120  EM 0
8000 km/s     Armour 1-7     Shields 0-0     Sensors 1/1/0/0     Damage Control Rating 1     PPV 2
Maint Life 15.47 Years     MSP 98    AFR 4%    IFR 0.1%    1YR 1    5YR 12    Max Repair 32 MSP
Magazine 34   

GB Ion Engine E80 (1)    Power 120    Fuel Use 800%    Signature 120    Armour 0    Exp 15%
Fuel Capacity 10,000 Litres    Range 3.0 billion km   (4 days at full power)

Size 1 Missile Launcher (2)    Missile Size 1    Rate of Fire 15
Missile Fire Control FC25-R20 (1)     Range 25.7m km    Resolution 20

This design is classed as a Military Vessel for maintenance purposes

« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 11:49:18 am by FritzPL »

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #10982 on: August 02, 2012, 12:20:03 pm »

Wouldn't giving it a fighter engine make it a fighter design?

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #10983 on: August 02, 2012, 12:39:31 pm »

For it to be classed as a fighter, it has to use a fighter engine and be 500 tons or less in mass.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #10984 on: August 02, 2012, 12:54:59 pm »

''Yo mama is so fat, she isn't even classified as a fighter!''

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10985 on: August 02, 2012, 01:13:19 pm »

Well, based on the "GB" in the engine name, I'm assuming that's a FAC engine. Never going to be a fighter with that.

Is it normal for Black Holes to have a lot of jump points? Because I have surveyed two 'rings' of survey locations, and I already have discovered 8 new JPs.

Not normal, but then the number of jump points in a system is semi-random. It's not normal for any system to have a ton of JPs, but you will find that about 5-10% of systems will be "hubs" with lots of JPs. I think 12 or 13 is the most I've ever seen in one system. Having a Black Hole "hub" certainly would be interesting...

Also, any cheap, reliable and fair laser design for early game? I kinda have one, but don't feel it's right, just take a look

12cm C2 Visible Light Laser
Damage Output 4     Rate of Fire: 10 seconds     Range Modifier: 2
Max Range 80,000 km     Laser Size: 4 HS    Laser HTK: 2
Power Requirement: 4    Power Recharge per 5 Secs: 2
Cost: 8    Crew: 40
Materials Required: 1.6x Duranium  1.6x Boronide  4.8x Corundium

Development Cost for Project: 80RP

I think that's, like, the first laser you can design in game.
Meh, that's about right. I'd research Capacitor Rate 3 as soon as feasible, and then design a 10cm laser with Cap 3, so you can have a rapid-fire (5 sec recharge) laser for point-defense stuff.

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10986 on: August 02, 2012, 01:15:21 pm »

That's a lot of "stuff" just to carry 2 size 1 missile launchers - I am guessing from the fire control resolution that these are supposed to be anti-FAC FACs?   I think you really want a bigger sized missile - size 2 or 3 to have a big enough warhead to do any kind of damage to an enemy FAC, probably even size 4 if you're hoping to get by with 1-2 missile hits to destroy each enemy FAC.   This design will be way less effective per BP/resource than a larger ship with more missile launchers too - on that you could afford to put a few anti-ship resolution fire controls and it could at least do double duty as anti-FAC/anti-ship, plus have a lot more launchers per BP spent.  (On the minus side it will be slower - getting even 3500 km/s with ion engines is spending a lot of space on engnes)

This is the problem with low tech FAC/fighter designs - it takes a LOT of research points to get all you want: the engines, small size components and especially the reduced sized launchers (ESPECIALLY box launchers) that lets you give a decently big punch to a hangar based ship.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10987 on: August 02, 2012, 01:50:23 pm »

Yeah, I've found fighters to be mostly ineffective at lower tech levels. They do have a couple of non-combat uses, however:

1. As a sponge for soaking up all those extra officers, giving them experience and resulting in a skilled officer pool to draw from when you start building up your 'real' navy.

2. A cheap and cost-effective way to provide "Protection" value to colonies. Colonies hate to feel undefended. Stationing a couple of squadrons of fighters (with a cheap PDC aerdrome base) makes them feel loved, even if they'd be meat to the grinder if any real aliens showed up. And in a pinch, they could probably take out (or at least seriously cripple) any errant scout or noncombat vessel from an alien civ that wanders by. To minimize logistics, I usually make such "Colonial Fighters" ammoless, relying purely on lasers or gauss cannons.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10988 on: August 02, 2012, 04:04:10 pm »

I tend to do the same thing with my early frigates and FACs; once they become hopelessly obsolete, they get put into permanent guard/officer holding duty. That, or I crew them with terrible officers and use them to absorb missile fire.

Incidentally, got my first generation of combat vessels up in my new game. I went for something a bit different this time around.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I've got a carrier TG composition of a pair of the CVLs supported by one each of the supply vessels, scout cruisers, and TJs; the carriers, cruiser, and TJ pop in-system; the CVLs get a bit away from the point and kill their drives while the cruiser runs recon and the TJ provides overwatch. The pair of 8-fighter squadrons have enough speed and punch to knock out most small groups of enemies and if worst comes to worst, the CVLs can hide and wait for reinforcements. Basically the design relies completely on speed and stealth, which will help once I get better engine tech and good enough stealth tech for proper stealthed sensor frigates. In a pinch, the support ship could even use the replacement fighter it carries to finish off a damaged ship. And of course there are the required frigate squadrons with a 3:1 missile:PD composition.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #10989 on: August 02, 2012, 04:13:14 pm »

Just so you know: code tags inside spoiler tags make the whole thing nigh unreadable.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10990 on: August 02, 2012, 04:13:37 pm »

Reminds me a bit of my early Terran Alliance designs -- pocket carriers w/ 1 squadron each, ferrying rail-mounted missile fighters.

But I detest having to deal with the whole logistics train of colliers, tankers, jump tenders, etc. so my carriers had jumpdrives and were the centerpiece of the battle squadron. They'd bring along 4 missile boats, and acted as the tanker/collier for the fighters. The missile boats didn't have a collier, so their combat duration was pretty limited, about 20-30 salvos IIRC.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10991 on: August 02, 2012, 04:19:15 pm »

Just so you know: code tags inside spoiler tags make the whole thing nigh unreadable.
That's why I left in the useless "Military Vessel blah blah" line: to take the brunt of the horizontal scroll-lines. Unless you're talking about something else, because apart from that it is always fine for me.

Reminds me a bit of my early Terran Alliance designs -- pocket carriers w/ 1 squadron each, ferrying rail-mounted missile fighters.

But I detest having to deal with the whole logistics train of colliers, tankers, jump tenders, etc. so my carriers had jumpdrives and were the centerpiece of the battle squadron. They'd bring along 4 missile boats, and acted as the tanker/collier for the fighters. The missile boats didn't have a collier, so their combat duration was pretty limited, about 20-30 salvos IIRC.

Yeah, self-sufficiency is a thing for civs with decent tech; I tend to shift to that sort of design philosophy as soon as it isn't prohibitively BP-intensive because of the annoyance of dealing with fleet support. As it is, a real fleet carrier with JD, 4ish squadrons, massive magazines, PD suite, sensor suite, etc. would take about 4-5 times as much tonnage as my largest milyard can handle and would be horribly inefficient.  :P

3. Run Resize Enable

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10992 on: August 02, 2012, 05:28:45 pm »

Tried a new nebula-start game last night. Didn't look closely before I started. Level 19 Nebula. 1 level of armor for every 131 km/s.

Dang, yo. Even my freighters have 17 points of armor. Sadly, the DB seems to be bugged all to hell and back (new installation on home machine). Would have enjoyed seeing how my scouts and whatnot would fare outside the nebula, given they'd be armored like a battleship.
How do you go about starting in a nebula? It sounds interesting.
Please don't let textbooks invade Bay12.
The Conquistadors only have the faintest idea of what the modern world is like when they are greeted by two hostile WWI Veterans riding on a giant potato; Welcome to 2016.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10993 on: August 02, 2012, 05:35:01 pm »

Choose the "Create a Spacemaster Empire" option when you start a new game. Then you have to use the buttons on the bottom of the System Window (F9) to generate new systems (I think there's a separate button for nebula generation) until you generate a system with a habitable planet. I think the only real requirement is an oxygen containing atmosphere. Then you plop a new species down on that planet, add homeworld minerals, switch over to your new race, exit SM mode and play!

I was sparse on a few of the details, but you should be able to figure it out.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10994 on: August 02, 2012, 06:18:29 pm »

I'm trying to recall if we're able to make methane-breathing species in SM mode yet. I'm almost certain it was supposed to be added at some point, though I'm unsure if it was in the future or the past.

3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 731 732 [733] 734 735 ... 1347