Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 730 731 [732] 733 734 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2817661 times)

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #10965 on: August 01, 2012, 11:13:58 am »

When I turn on the Galactic map there's a bunch of 76 errors, 'Path not found: 'Flags\''. I have a set flag for my empire, but it shows up for Kapetyns Star Swarm instead of me.

I had this problem for a while, I think it was fixed after I did a reinstall.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
  • Changing avatar text since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #10966 on: August 01, 2012, 01:54:03 pm »

How to keep saves over reinstalls?

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10967 on: August 01, 2012, 01:58:02 pm »

If you need to replace the database file, you can't. If you're reinstalling the same version or a compatible fix, you only need to copy Aurora.exe over the old version and you should be good to go.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10968 on: August 01, 2012, 04:23:07 pm »

Ah, nothing quite like the feeling of spending a free afternoon setting up a new game. I'm falling back into my old RP-intensive habits, but at least I haven't started giving individual names to my freighters yet.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10969 on: August 01, 2012, 06:47:24 pm »

I seem to have forgotten to download something. It seems that my folder lacks any flags, or nearly all images. What did I miss?
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10970 on: August 01, 2012, 06:54:41 pm »

I assume you forgot step 3. I haven't tried out the latest full install, but the images in the last full install were located in the update zip, so I assume it's the same situation here.

3) Unzip AuroraUpdate554.zip into the same directory (usually C:\Program Files\Aurora but check to make sure!) and answer yes to overwriting Aurora.exe and Stevefire.mdb.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10971 on: August 01, 2012, 07:02:54 pm »

I assume you forgot step 3. I haven't tried out the latest full install, but the images in the last full install were located in the update zip, so I assume it's the same situation here.

3) Unzip AuroraUpdate554.zip into the same directory (usually C:\Program Files\Aurora but check to make sure!) and answer yes to overwriting Aurora.exe and Stevefire.mdb.
Ah, yes, that was it, thanks.

Edit: Just realized one thing: A standard  max size FAC engine will make a faster ship than a max sized fighter. So, it seems unless you make fighters very small their only advantage is to be easy to make.

Sidenote: Other than needing to give it a bridge et all, is there really any issues with having a FAC bigger than 1000 tons?
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 10:44:57 pm by Felius »
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10972 on: August 02, 2012, 12:25:51 am »

Ah, yes, that was it, thanks.

Edit: Just realized one thing: A standard  max size FAC engine will make a faster ship than a max sized fighter. So, it seems unless you make fighters very small their only advantage is to be easy to make.

Sidenote: Other than needing to give it a bridge et all, is there really any issues with having a FAC bigger than 1000 tons?

Its slower that's about it.

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10973 on: August 02, 2012, 01:43:05 am »

Generally fighters under 250 tons will outpace FAC. However, to make a viable missile fighter at that size requires quite a bit of research to get box missile launchers.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10974 on: August 02, 2012, 02:27:16 am »

Biggest problem i have with aurora?
I have a tendency to restart after not playing for a few weeks.
Something just seems daunting about getting back into it when theres so many things i need to recheck, besides iv'e only played for a few years so restarting isn't a big problem, i just wonder how lost i would be after a hiatus from a long term game.
I think i'll try to modify my playing style so thiongs are less confusing after return.
Or maybe keep a note somewhere telling me wtf is needed, etc.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #10975 on: August 02, 2012, 04:42:34 am »

When restarting an old Aurora game, it's best to get in the mindset that you're discovering a whole new civilization that you're being asked to govern, and let your memories of what you had done before come back gradually.

So, it seems unless you make fighters very small their only advantage is to be easy to make.

Yeah, but in a standard game you start out with fighter factories, and I can't stand for any of my installations to remain dormant.  So I crank out crappy fighters and crappy missiles just so the my workers can remain busy.  They're both expendable, so I'll use them eventually.

...Unless I design something that just doesn't work, like fire control that doesn't actually fire the weapons, or something.  Eh, they'll still make good decoys: Something to die so my better ships don't.

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10976 on: August 02, 2012, 06:17:47 am »

When restarting an old Aurora game, it's best to get in the mindset that you're discovering a whole new civilization that you're being asked to govern, and let your memories of what you had done before come back gradually.

So, it seems unless you make fighters very small their only advantage is to be easy to make.

Yeah, but in a standard game you start out with fighter factories, and I can't stand for any of my installations to remain dormant.  So I crank out crappy fighters and crappy missiles just so the my workers can remain busy.  They're both expendable, so I'll use them eventually.

...Unless I design something that just doesn't work, like fire control that doesn't actually fire the weapons, or something.  Eh, they'll still make good decoys: Something to die so my better ships don't.

That actually gives me a bit of an idea for jump point assault. Using lots of fighters as ablative armor for the rest of the ships and cleaning a bit the enemy's end of the JP might work cheaply, specially if the enemy goes for a meson based beam defense.

And changing subjects, speaking of beams: Some late game high tech beam weaponry have range in the millions of km. Does it have any purpose, considering there's a pretty hard limit to the fire control range?

Trorbes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10977 on: August 02, 2012, 08:29:28 am »

Most beam weapons suffer damage dropoff over distance,  so a long-range beam should be more powerful at its limit than a shorter one.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 08:40:45 am by Trorbes »

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #10978 on: August 02, 2012, 08:32:29 am »

I do this too. They are also useful for crew training. I've right now ten useless 2kt corvettes that are used for that. They have 6 launchers too so in the event of a fight can provide good saturation if a modern ship with proper actives is on the scene

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #10979 on: August 02, 2012, 08:36:35 am »

And changing subjects, speaking of beams: Some late game high tech beam weaponry have range in the millions of km. Does it have any purpose, considering there's a pretty hard limit to the fire control range?

Increasing the weapons base max range makes quite a difference. Consider the two following otherwise identical lasers, with the increment for the damage values set at 140,000km, so the final increment is at the weapons max targetable range.
Code: [Select]
80cm Infrared Laser        Range 1,400,000km  12  6  4  3  2  2  1  1  1  1
80cm Far Gamma Ray Laser   Range 1,400,000km 143 72 48 35 28 24 20 18 16 14
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Pages: 1 ... 730 731 [732] 733 734 ... 1347