Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 722 723 [724] 725 726 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2817392 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #10845 on: July 26, 2012, 11:49:08 am »

Yep. When you have materials which largely ignore physics, who cares about iron?

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10846 on: July 26, 2012, 12:25:49 pm »

You also have to remember that Aurora is first and foremost a ship combat simulator, not an economic sim. Steve isn't Tarn. He isn't particularly interested into making it into some unified grand 4X game the way that DF is evolving into a megasimulator. Which isn't to say that he won't add more detailed economics at some point but his primary focus will always be space combat.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #10847 on: July 26, 2012, 12:42:48 pm »

there is another issue with semi realistic minerals, is that technology advancement tend to work on a bucketload of different minerals.

it is just much more convenient to have 'explodium' which works for all missiles and 'fuelonium' that goes into every conceivable engine  :P

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10848 on: July 26, 2012, 01:05:34 pm »

....actually, I kind of wish they were named like that. I have a hard time remembering what gets used for what, other than duranium (everything), neutronium (armor and ground troops) and mercassium (life support and research labs). Oh, and Uridium is for jumpdrives, iirc.

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10849 on: July 26, 2012, 01:54:13 pm »

Does someone have a good planet pack for this game? My actual selection is limited.
I've got my own, custom pack made with a lot of Lunar Cell planets and images from real life moons, and so on. It's a bit of a random smattering. Still, if you're interested, I can upload it.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #10850 on: July 26, 2012, 02:09:12 pm »

....actually, I kind of wish they were named like that. I have a hard time remembering what gets used for what, other than duranium (everything), neutronium (armor and ground troops) and mercassium (life support and research labs). Oh, and Uridium is for jumpdrives, iirc.
This, and "explodium" and "fuelanium" just sounds hilarious.
"everythingium"?

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #10851 on: July 26, 2012, 02:13:49 pm »

"everythingium"?
"eponymium"? From Eponymous, 'to give a name'. Perhaps a substance which can become anything?

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10852 on: July 26, 2012, 03:06:43 pm »

"everythingium"?

Duranium = Buildium
Neutronium = Armorium
Corbomite = Electronicum
Tritanium = Missileine
Boronide = Terraformium
Sorium = Jumpdrivium, or Fuelanium
Uridium = Shootinatum (fire controls/sensors)
Corundium = Pewpewlaserium (energy weapons)
Mercassium = Researchium
Vendarite = Fighterium
Gallicite = Makeemmovium (engines)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #10853 on: July 26, 2012, 03:18:47 pm »

i approve of Pewpewlaserium.
How can we fabricate this metal?

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

vaaern

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10854 on: July 26, 2012, 05:42:21 pm »

Raaah, I finally got this thing working the way it should. Though now I'm so confused  :o I followed the tutorials but still have no clue on how to mine, find jump points (and make gates, made a ship with the module but it's AFR is 20500 something :(), the fire control and other weapon design is even more confusing and I have a sorium harvester but no clue on how to use it.

Also several of my ships are just staying at a certain planet with message "sp needed:244".

HELP?

PS: also reading NATO vs Soviets (after action report), this sounds so cool, but is it really worth it? I'm trying distant worlds too.

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile
« Reply #10855 on: July 26, 2012, 05:49:01 pm »

Does someone have a good planet pack for this game? My actual selection is limited.
I've got my own, custom pack made with a lot of Lunar Cell planets and images from real life moons, and so on. It's a bit of a random smattering. Still, if you're interested, I can upload it.
Please do!

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10856 on: July 26, 2012, 05:58:33 pm »

have no clue on how to mine,
Well, you've got mines on Earth that should be already mining. The basic procedure is to have ships with geological survey sensors survey planets, moons, comets and asteroids to find the minerals; and then to put automatic mines or ships with asteroid mining modules (they can do comets too) on the body and dig up the minerals. You'll need freighters or mass drivers to deliver them back to earth or wherever your industrial center is.

find jump points (and make gates, made a ship with the module but it's AFR is 20500 something :(),
You have to build ships with gravitational survey sensors and then they survey places around a star to find jump points, similar to how geo-survey ships find minerals. The jump gate construction module is huge and expensive, so you need to place it in a ship with civilian engines and all other components, because civilian vessels don't require maintenance.

Also several of my ships are just staying at a certain planet with message "sp needed:244".
That would be survey points. You've ordered the ships to perform a geological survey, but if they don't have geological sensors, they won't make any progress.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10857 on: July 26, 2012, 06:05:28 pm »

Raaah, I finally got this thing working the way it should. Though now I'm so confused  :o I followed the tutorials but still have no clue on how to mine, find jump points (and make gates, made a ship with the module but it's AFR is 20500 something :(), the fire control and other weapon design is even more confusing and I have a sorium harvester but no clue on how to use it.

HELP?

PS: also reading NATO vs Soviets (after action report), this sounds so cool, but is it really worth it? I'm trying distant worlds too.

1. Build mines (or automines for locations where you don't want to support a population); ship where they're needed. There was an explanation of cargo movement a few pages back.

2. Build a ship with one or more gravsurvey modules, give it permanent orders to survey the nearest survey point. (Design a ship with a JG construction module and no military parts. You likely added military engines or something; commercial shipping doesn't suffer breakdowns.)

3. Move it to a gas giant with Sorium deposits and it should start automatically collecting it. Note that you'll need fuel tanks to hold the refined Sorium and tankers to move it to your colonies.

4. "SP Needed: #" indicates the number of survey points the vessel needs to complete the geosurvey of that system body. With the base geosurvey module, you gain 1 SP per hour per module.

5. Luna, yes it is.

Darn space-ninjas are at it again. Or would it be space-ninja?

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10858 on: July 26, 2012, 06:18:00 pm »

Please do!
Okay, time to fire up my Mediafire account. I'll upload my entire folder, including the original vanilla pictures, because I'm lazy. But they shouldn't be too big.

http://www.mediafire.com/?igcpzxtabt4ldfb

Note, I'm sure I've replaced plenty of the crappy planet pictures entirely, and changed the color tone of others, so you might want to move the original files if you want to keep the crappy planets or the original color tones.

Special notes:
Some images may be of lower quality, but all should be good enough to not be unusable.
a11-a20 and a22-a24 are images from real life moons. But it's up to you to find out for which if you care to search.
a21 is an image of Ceres.
astDe is an image of Demos, astPh is an image of Phobos.
b20 is an image of Mercury.
Images g10 and g11 are copies of gg10 and gg11, because of a bug where trying to chose gg10 and gg11 would say that it can't find "g10" or "g11".
ha4-6 are recolors of ha1-3.
M37-40 were found by someone else on the Aurora forums.
As far as I know there are no viruses in this file. Yay.

Also, I take no responsibility and blah blah blah go have fun.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile
« Reply #10859 on: July 26, 2012, 10:19:51 pm »

Very nice pack Tarran, thanks!
Pages: 1 ... 722 723 [724] 725 726 ... 1347