Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 714 715 [716] 717 718 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2817122 times)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #10725 on: July 09, 2012, 05:56:54 pm »

Of course, that's an additional level of micromanagement that you may not wish to do :P
Up to you, really.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10726 on: July 09, 2012, 06:04:08 pm »

Everything but player race and maybe meritocracy has some penalties, though I'm not sure if they just affect the initial setup or not. I think some governments can have an impact on your translation skill?
Bit late on this, but IIRC High Imperial Monarchy is the best possible government type, as it gives:
+10 Diplomacy
+5 Determination
+10 Expansionism
+10 Trading
+10 Militancy

and doesn't add any xenophobia.

But yes, you're going to want to find a good ratio of FC:Weapons. It'll differ based on what they are; I typically use a 1FC:4Turret ratio for PD Gauss and lasers, 1FC:6Launcher for missiles, 1FC:2Turret/Mount for offensive EW, and so on. You can also get by with fewer FCs if you don't mind doing a lot of micromanaging and doing a hotseat-style rotation, sort of like "Link Laser #1-4 to FC; fire; link Laser #5-8 to FC; fire; etc.".

Darn spaceninjas.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10727 on: July 09, 2012, 06:56:53 pm »

But why wouldn't I want xenophobia? Humanity Uber Alles! All hail the Imperium of Mankind! :P

That said, the rotating weaponry for the laser FC sound like a pretty good idea actually. If you simply assign them to the FC on separate ticks and keep them firing non stop as soon as they reload you might not even have to unassign the cooling down lasers.
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #10728 on: July 09, 2012, 07:04:48 pm »

But why wouldn't I want xenophobia? Humanity Uber Alles! All hail the Imperium of Mankind! :P

That said, the rotating weaponry for the laser FC sound like a pretty good idea actually. If you simply assign them to the FC on separate ticks and keep them firing non stop as soon as they reload you might not even have to unassign the cooling down lasers.

I can't recall off the top of my head if it will let you fire while some of the assigned weapons are recharging. If it does that would simplify things a bit as once the cycle of weapons are assigned then as long as you kept firing the cycle would continue without needing reassignments.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10729 on: July 09, 2012, 09:42:59 pm »

I can't recall off the top of my head if it will let you fire while some of the assigned weapons are recharging. If it does that would simplify things a bit as once the cycle of weapons are assigned then as long as you kept firing the cycle would continue without needing reassignments.

It should; EW weapons aren't really "reloading", they're recharging their capacitors. The capacitors on the unfired weapons would still be filled, and FCs can fire every 5-second tick. Of course, what you'd be doing would be removing the assignment of the recharging weapons and assigning the unfired ones. So you'd remove (as per the example) Lasers #1-4 from the fire control as well as adding Lasers #5-8. If you had, say, three sets of lasers with 10 second recharge times, you could cycle through them continuously as long as your reactors and FC were intact.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10730 on: July 10, 2012, 03:01:19 am »

More FC is fun thou, you can keep firing while your a floating, worthless space husk!

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #10731 on: July 10, 2012, 04:17:59 am »

it is more redundant a ship with duplicate system or two ships?  :P

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
« Reply #10732 on: July 10, 2012, 04:56:34 am »

Alright I got survey ship going to survey 5 next system bodies and ordered it to refuel if it gets to 30% fuel. Next then I need those ships that get the automines to some roid. :)

So the goverment types do affect the player? I thought they affected just the NPR AI, like aggressivity and so on.
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #10733 on: July 10, 2012, 05:21:22 am »

As we've discussed slightly up-thread, the government types effect you initial start conditions and once the game is going effects the cultural modifiers that apply primarily to diplomatic relations with other factions.

For your asteroid miner, make sure that you create a colony on the asteroid that you are going to mine, they will only place mined materials directly into a colony stockpile. After that you can use massdrivers/freighters to move the minerals to their destination.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10734 on: July 10, 2012, 06:13:04 am »

Make a mother ship that docks onto metroids, drops a few auto-miners and a mass launcher off, plus a few men. Let your new flying weapon station go to town on alien planets you don't like. Who doesn't love overly pricy and complicated weapon systems.

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10735 on: July 10, 2012, 06:48:07 am »

Make a mother ship that docks onto metroids, drops a few auto-miners and a mass launcher off, plus a few men. Let your new flying weapon station go to town on alien planets you don't like. Who doesn't love overly pricy and complicated weapon systems.
Shouldn't you call Samus if you have metroids in your game? :P
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

vaaern

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10736 on: July 10, 2012, 09:16:33 am »

Damn, how do you even start to play this game? Is it worth it to even start with it? (=very confused after starting it up)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #10737 on: July 10, 2012, 09:17:23 am »

Tutorials

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
« Reply #10738 on: July 10, 2012, 09:19:56 am »

For your asteroid miner, make sure that you create a colony on the asteroid that you are going to mine, they will only place mined materials directly into a colony stockpile. After that you can use massdrivers/freighters to move the minerals to their destination.
I found suitable roid in geological survey report and pressed create colony, can I now mine the asteroid and transport the minerals with massdrivers or freighters?

Damn, how do you even start to play this game? Is it worth it to even start with it? (=very confused after starting it up)
Well if you learn it you can boast to your friends that you can play Excel Wars. :P
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10739 on: July 10, 2012, 09:22:15 am »

Yep, mine away.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.
Pages: 1 ... 714 715 [716] 717 718 ... 1347