Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Obsidian Cliff - Good embark site?  (Read 898 times)

Pasakoye

• Bay Watcher
  • c is for SCAMPS
    • View Profile
Obsidian Cliff - Good embark site?
« on: January 09, 2010, 06:17:55 pm »

I found so far my best embark site. It is an obsidian cliff(pretty much) and has 1 open area on its mountain In between the top and bottom levels. It has a lot of dolomite on the bottom, a brook, trees. The only thing I see that is missing is sand =(.

I want to share it with you guys but I need help how do I get the map info to you guys.

I think this is it.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I cant remember embark size.
I'll try to post pics.

Edit:

6x7 site, could be less. It may not have everything but it has a nice open place for defense.

Edit2:
Ok here is the map Visualized.
The red unreadable text, just says there is magma there, pretty far  down not that tall. The unreadable text in blue says there is a underground river
, but as you can see It's not very long, It is 1 z level below the open cliff area. It goes straight into a pit which hits the bottom z level, so floodgates can direct water into there and you could also throw trash in.

So Magma Top Right of map, Infinite Water/Pit Bottom Right, Brook Left of map. A lot of Obsidian and Dolomite.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 08:19:35 pm by Pasakoye »
I play as elves.
What the f*ck is wrong with you?
DF doesn't have a learning curve. It has a sheer cliff face. And you have to climb it with nothing but a keyboard.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
Re: Obsidian Cliff - Good embark site? (I need help)
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2010, 06:23:32 pm »

Try genning the world again, finding the site again, and screencapping the embark screen to show us where it is.

Alternatively, a set of finder parameters that will definitely result in the site (try it first) are useful.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

XSI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2010, 07:13:02 pm »

That looks promising, but is there magma? I can't imagine setting up any dwarven fortress without magma.

Besides, it's a good mountain range, I'll need magma to keep me busy, there won't be undead or dangerous animals to keep me busy(Except maybe a lone unicorn)
What kind of statues are your masons making, that you think they have "maximum exposure"?
(Full frontal ones, apparently.  With very short beards.) 

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2010, 10:10:48 pm »

That looks promising, but is there magma? I can't imagine setting up any dwarven fortress without magma.

Besides, it's a good mountain range, I'll need magma to keep me busy, there won't be undead or dangerous animals to keep me busy(Except maybe a lone unicorn)

I can. What I can't imagine is setting up any sort of metalworking or glassmaking industry without magma... though said fortress might not be very dwarven. (Yeah, you can use trees, which I have done before, but it was a PITA.)
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

TheDJ17

• Bay Watcher
  • [SWAG]
    • View Profile
Re: Obsidian Cliff - Good embark site?
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2010, 10:22:03 pm »

Originally I read PITA as PETA, same thing really.
The spinning =<*Free Form Jazz*>= strikes the Poster in all the senses, ya' dig, utterly blowing the mind!
The Status Quo has been struck down!