Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: So uhm. Orcs. A little help. :o  (Read 3855 times)

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: So uhm. Orcs. A little help. :o
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2010, 08:14:10 pm »

Martin, what tileset are you using?

And thanks for the ideas, guys.

Using my own. It's a mishmash of everyone else's tilesets, with a bunch of my stuff in there. The biggest thing is the new font, antialiased against black and the much lower contrast background tiles such as floor, stockpiles, etc. I'm updating it for transparent PNG for the next version.

http://dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Tileset_repository#Martin

Kavalion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2010, 08:18:47 pm »

Orcs don't retreat, not like gobbos.

Hmm, perhaps my mod is different.  I just have the orc mod without dig deeper.

In that case, good training is probably going to be necessary to shoot every orc dead.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2010, 08:42:34 pm »

Orcs don't retreat, not like gobbos. A single squad will pretty much march in until the last one drops.

That isn't really true.

NOFEAR and the other tags prevent them from panicking if they see dozens of them die beforehand, or if the squad leader is killed, but if you take out most of a squad, the last couple of orcs will probably high tail it out of there, and if you rout all but one squad, the last one will withdraw without entering combat.

I've used the latter tactic to great effect when only one squad of orcs was made of ranged units, by annihilating everyone else and forcing the last squad of bowmen to retreat without putting my melee units at risk.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2010, 09:19:40 pm »

I've found that gobbo usually bug out as soon as the leader goes down. I've never seen orcs do that. And I've plowed through enough orcs that if 5 squads show up, at a minimum 3 are coming into my fortress no matter what, and often 4 are. And that 5th one usually has to think a few minutes before bugging out. On a 5x5 map, I've managed to get Morul to wipe out every orc from a 5 squad siege without trapping any and with none escaping.

There's no way 5 squads of gobbos would do that.

Earth Striker Lurin

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's Go to Work...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2010, 11:13:02 am »

so morul is using adamantine?

That guy is scary :)

I have a three drawbridge trap for my orc avon salesmen when they get to the door.  They'll get a sinking feeling on the naming bridge...

Called the naming bridge because unwanted migrants go there to be named.  Most of them choose the name "AAAAHHHHHHhhhhhh!!!" before they go splork.
"So I looked to the left of me, looked to the right of me, raised the giant's severed arm above my head and said 'Let's go to work...'"   -- Lurin Diamondfist relating the time he had to mine without a pick axe.

PhilbertFlange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2010, 11:24:56 am »

I'm experimenting with upright spikes, but dwarves are stupid and unreliable, and decide they want to take a drink JUST when I need them to throttle that lever like no tomorrow.

My advice for this is to make a control room with the levers you need pulled for a specific trap in it (one room per trap). Have an unassigned bed, and small booze/food stockpiles in a secondary room barred by a locked door. When you need the trap levers to be pulled, draft 2 or more dwarves into the military, and station them in the room.

Once in the room, lock the outer door, and unlock the door to the bed and food/booze. After that, undraft the squad.

The fact that you have more than one dwarf will let you pull the lever(s) without the one dwarf deciding to drink, eat, sleep or go on break if they were alone. The bed and food/booze will let them eat drink and sleep without getting bad thoughts from being unable to access their rooms or the main stockpiles.

Example:
Code: [Select]
  ###########
  D    D    #
  # L  #ff  #
  #    #dd B#
  ###########

D = Door
L = Lever
ff = Food
dd = Drinks
B = Bed
When life gives you lemons, you make lemonade.

When Dwarf Fortress gives you lemons, you mod them to have [DAMBLOCK:80][FLIER][FIREBREATH].

Canadark

• Bay Watcher
  • meet me in the mead hall
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2010, 11:26:51 am »

I've never been able to survive with dig deeper without turtling for at least one siege.
You all do know that we everytime we gen a world in DF, a new universe is created somewhere, and everytime we delete a save we kill a whole world?
Aye, we are Armok, god of blood, evil, villager gutting, fortress building, legend making and elf thongs.

Lost Requiem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Fur Affinity
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2010, 01:04:56 pm »

Orcs don't retreat, not like gobbos. A single squad will pretty much march in until the last one drops.

That said, a single champion marksdwarf behind a fortification can come pretty close to stopping a squad in its tracks. Two certainly can, if you can keep them on station.

because Orcs are manly like that.

If you can't fight them, then best to prevent them from reaching your fortress at all. Erect walls in a small area around your fortress, barricading yourself in a small area you can use to make a more effective countermeasure. After making the wall, build a hallway to a wall you'll deconstruct to make an entryway, and then build traps lining the hallway. Stonefall traps work, but you can also use spikes or, if you're balsy, maybe cages. After the traps are set, draft the woodcutter and/or miner, make sure they have a weapon, and station them far away from the hallway. Finally, designate the wall for removal, and then tell your dwarves to hide inside except for the soldiers. Have the orcs march into the traps to soften them up, and if they make it past, send in your soldiers to finish the job. Marksdwarfs are your best bet, but axedwarves do the job just as well. The miner should be strong enough from his mining to be able to take on the orcs for a while.
Lost's sanctuary for Lolis.
Quest Complete! 41/31

Phen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2010, 02:53:42 pm »

At least you got orcs. I used the Dig Deeper mod, too, pumped to see some action... And then nothing. Five years in, no sieges. I havn't used Legends before, but as far as I can tell the orc sites havn't died down, they're just not coming. :I

arghy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2010, 03:30:22 pm »

Yeah i've been playing with orc mod for nearly a year now and the first thing i learned was you need to get a drawbridge done before the first season ends. You can also build a catapult very far back so the operator doesnt get spooked and lob your excess stone at the orcs waiting at the drawbridge to save ammo.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2010, 06:12:38 pm »

At least you got orcs. I used the Dig Deeper mod, too, pumped to see some action... And then nothing. Five years in, no sieges. I havn't used Legends before, but as far as I can tell the orc sites havn't died down, they're just not coming. :I

Can they access your site? If they haven't showed for five years, they can't reach it.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Phen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2010, 08:20:01 pm »

The traders can get here, so... But only dwarven ones. I just don't want to subject myself to building a fortress up again and again while I wait to see if there'll be any orcs at all. :/

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2010, 08:36:00 pm »

Did you chack to see if your civ bordered the orcs before you mebarked?
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Phen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2010, 09:06:21 pm »

I have no idea how to do that. I can look at biomes and such, but... Also used the feature finder to get the spot.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2010, 09:56:27 pm »

You hit TAB once you find your site. That lets you choose a dwarven civilization, view the slopes, and see whayt races can reach your site.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4