Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: So uhm. Orcs. A little help. :o  (Read 3846 times)

Asmodeous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: So uhm. Orcs. A little help. :o
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2010, 10:17:37 pm »

Thanks again, guys. Martin's suggestion worked like a charm. Though I must say things went dreadfully awry when the switch was flipped but the drawbridge didn't raise during the fourth siege in two years....

Though 80 angry dwarfs came charging up to try to wrestle as many of the orcs as they could. Many... many dwarves gave their lives... and now everyone's too busy crying to do any work. I think I might drown them all.

In magma.
(There is a story behind this. . .)

This is an Alder Omelette. All craftsdwarfship is of highest quality. It is encircled with bands of cheese. It menaces with spikes of bacon, ham, and peppers. On the object is an image of dwarves in egg white. The dwarves are eating.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2010, 10:22:07 pm »

I've just started up a small testing fortress and I forgot I had orcs still turned on. Only 9 dwarves (immigration off) and the 2nd siege was 3 squads all on wolf spiders. Killed all but 3 using a single marksdwarf (went from no skill to high master) and 2 bridges.

I wish I had the spiders for Morul - 2x as many things to whack at each siege.

arghy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2010, 10:28:43 pm »

The best thing is the spiders are a great source of silk because unlike GCS's theres always a fresh source of them so a staked puppy maze and 6 trapped wolfspiders can provide you with enough silk to last for years!

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2010, 11:30:25 pm »

Hmm. Good idea. I'll turn off trapavoid. This was supposed to be an experimental fortress, not a combat one, after all.

Moosey

• Bay Watcher
  • [moose brute extract]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2010, 01:53:10 am »

I just started playing dig deeper too, and I had the same problem with a massive orc siege showing up in the first year.  Fortunately I had built a wall around my fort so the orcs couldn't get to my seven guys.

My solution was to build one cage trap for every orc invader listed on the Units screen, and put them along a 1-square-wide corridor.  This took several months to set up.  Finally complete, I opened up the corridor and instantly...  all the orcs gave up the siege and walked away.

Lucky they did, later I found out that cage traps don't work on orcs.

Also, is it just my game, or are all Dig Deeper orc sieges timed to coincide with elf merchants?  I keep my trade depot outside my walls, so...  well, at least I'll never want for rope reed cloth.

Also, the orcs in my game don't seem to use ranged weapons at all.  I can pick off scores of orc invaders with just a few well placed fortifications and crossbowmen.  It feels cheap, but my attempts to meet them head-on in battle have been somewhat less effective.
Backs to the wheel
There's granite to shove

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2010, 11:56:21 am »

I use orc mod rather than dig deeper, and the sieges can be set to happen in certain seasons. Orcs may be programmed to arrive in Spring.

And sieges, like traders and invaders always hit the map prior to the 15th or so of the first month of the season. Once I hit the 15th or 20th with no news, I feel comfortable sending my guys out of 2 1/2 months.

I think the timing behavior may go away in the next version which will make the game quite a bit harder when you are trying to get by with a small military. I know it was mentioned as something Toady wanting to fix.

happydog23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2010, 02:34:29 pm »

Anyone know the longest siege you've had?  I'm starting my 3rd straight year (season number 9) since they showed up... one long siege.  I have no idea why, but its driving me nuts, i want my dwarven caravan to show up.

Lost Requiem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Fur Affinity
« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2010, 02:46:48 pm »

All supply lines are cut during a siege. Best start thinking of countermeasures soon if you're dependent on imports.
Lost's sanctuary for Lolis.
Quest Complete! 41/31

happydog23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2010, 03:06:52 pm »

I'm not dependent, so much as I was waiting on the next shipment to finish setting up my siege trap system.  I'm used to waiting them out, i just didn't think it was going to take multiple years for this one to go away...

Moosey

• Bay Watcher
  • [moose brute extract]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2010, 03:44:34 pm »

I'm not dependent, so much as I was waiting on the next shipment to finish setting up my siege trap system.  I'm used to waiting them out, i just didn't think it was going to take multiple years for this one to go away...

Oddly enough, I don't think the siege forces can give up if they can't path to your guys.  If you have someone relatively useless, you can toss them outside and see if the invaders are ready go away.  Or, if you had the forethought to build a floodgate or bridge connected to a lever to separate them from you, you could flip it open for just a few seconds.
Backs to the wheel
There's granite to shove

Elvang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2010, 04:01:52 pm »

The only time I've had a siege last longer than a year (orc, terrifying goblin or otherwise) is when one or more of the squad leaders arrive unconscious from previous injuries. When that happens they'll just sit on the edge of the map milling about until I either kill the leader(s) or they wake up long enough to crawl off the map.
The Practicalities of Fire Imp Defense
Tileset fonts for dfterm/telnet
Win 0.34.11 SDL with 7 binary patched bugfixes
Quote from: They Dig
I have come here to drink booze and breach HFS... and I'm all out of booze.

happydog23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2010, 04:41:04 pm »

The only time I've had a siege last longer than a year (orc, terrifying goblin or otherwise) is when one or more of the squad leaders arrive unconscious from previous injuries. When that happens they'll just sit on the edge of the map milling about until I either kill the leader(s) or they wake up long enough to crawl off the map.

I'm gonna check that... Its gonna be a pain though because my map has a 100z mountain on it so the orcs are spread all to hell between z levels.

arghy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2010, 06:34:51 pm »

I enjoy building complex mazes to hold sieges when they take to long to go away--build a stairwell that gos like 5 Z levels below a water source then a big maze with a draw bridge at the end. Open the bridge and let them run down the stair wells and into the maze then close the door and open the floodgate drowning the entire siege.

Asmodeous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 11, 2010, 06:35:13 pm »

They will break and run if they can't path to you, I dunno if they can just give up though.

Also, Dig Deeper does not seem to care when they come. I've had them arrive right as the human caravan or dwarvan caravan arrived. (I walled the human traders in just in case the door had to be closed too long that they went berzerk. :D I let 'em out after the siege ended).

A few quirks I have noticed with Dig Deeper. Where the hell is all my coal? I've got sediment, normally that would mean I'd have coal all over, making it worth being there if there's no magma. I had maybe one lignite vein, and not a single bit of Coal. Where did it go? :/

Otherwise, the same failing of the economic rock mod seems to exist in it -- omgwtflolobsidian.

Way too much of it. ;)
(There is a story behind this. . .)

This is an Alder Omelette. All craftsdwarfship is of highest quality. It is encircled with bands of cheese. It menaces with spikes of bacon, ham, and peppers. On the object is an image of dwarves in egg white. The dwarves are eating.

Fishbulb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 11, 2010, 06:57:02 pm »

I happened to look at the Orc entity tags for Dig Deeper recently. I forget what the default setting was, but they can be set to be active in any or all of the seasons. I changed mine so they'd be inactive in autumn, because I was feeling wimpy and didn't want them interfering with Dwarf Christmas. Later, I changed my mind and set them to be inactive in spring, because I wanted to try to score a breeding pair of exotic animals from the elves.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4