Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: AIR SHIP FLEET!  (Read 1233 times)

DwarfOfDefeat

• Bay Watcher
  • Reproduces through Mitosis
    • View Profile
AIR SHIP FLEET!
« on: January 09, 2010, 11:36:20 am »

yayz for airship fleet! but now i just need to be instructed how to make em.
i have the bodies figured out i just need to figure out how to make a ballon to make them float...
"Your mother was a hamster and your father smelled of elder berries!

Safe-Keeper

• Bay Watcher
  • "Situation normal; all ****ed up"
    • View Profile
    • FS Mod tester
Re: AIR SHIP FLEET!
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2010, 11:53:54 am »

You can't, unfortunately. If everything worked like in reality, you'd be able to make at least a hot air balloon with the goods you have at your disposal, but you can't make things fly at present :-\ .

You can, however, cheat by building constructions such as air ships on supports or whatever, and then maybe mod the tilesets so that supports are invisible. But that's the closest you get, regrettably.
"Sieging humans brought some war polar bears, and one of them started a camp fire. Highly trained!" --Today One accidentally introduces the panserbjørn into Dwarf Fortress lore

RedWick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2010, 12:33:42 pm »

Or you could turn off cave-ins.  IIRC, that would cause constructions that weren't attached to the ground to not collapse.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2010, 12:47:17 pm »

I'm in the process of making one. You can take notes from it. I'm using CAVE-INS: OFF with mine.

Mine is steam powered with propellers keeping this boat in the sky.

Provided I'm not working today, I might get more work done on it.

DwarfOfDefeat

• Bay Watcher
  • Reproduces through Mitosis
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2010, 01:00:00 pm »

i shall be your student :D
"Your mother was a hamster and your father smelled of elder berries!

!

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2010, 06:44:24 pm »

Make a bridge (by digging, not designating/building). Dig out both ends. Enjoy your microsecond of flight.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2010, 08:39:20 pm »

That's the beauty of my design. Using 2 3x10 bridges (drawing up the thinner directions), it allows maximum distance between ship and shore so that you can view exclusively the ship in air (provided sky tiles); making the illusion of flight easier to pull.

Of course, installing it is a challenge (more like time consuming). First, build a solid bridge that spans the distance, then build a bridge that fits in the area, apply mechanisms, and break down the supports.

You can see some of that going on with my construction between 2 seasons in the earlier days.

Safe-Keeper

• Bay Watcher
  • "Situation normal; all ****ed up"
    • View Profile
    • FS Mod tester
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2010, 12:42:18 pm »

I'm in the process of making one. You can take notes from it. I'm using CAVE-INS: OFF with mine.
:facepalm: Silly me, so much for my ability to think outside the box ;D.

Makes me want to make my own airship. Maybe I'll get to it when I'm done with my current fort. Who knows.

Oh, and post screenies of your ship once it's underway!
"Sieging humans brought some war polar bears, and one of them started a camp fire. Highly trained!" --Today One accidentally introduces the panserbjørn into Dwarf Fortress lore

Opirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2010, 01:59:43 pm »

Maybe I'll include MinedStockades in the airship fleet, or my second fort run by "The Banner of Ale."
Don't go drowning your boss for telling you to work.

damn nobles management.
Minedstockades

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2010, 04:51:20 pm »

:facepalm: Silly me, so much for my ability to think outside the box ;D .

Makes me want to make my own airship. Maybe I'll get to it when I'm done with my current fort. Who knows.

Oh, and post screenies of your ship once it's underway!
Not to sound rude, but if you actually read the chapters, there are maps included that show the progress of the fort and ship as time passes.

Links are in the OP of the project. My signature is a link to the project, and I have the time tracked in the sig as well.