Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Town Destroyed By Carp Help  (Read 1536 times)

Loyal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rogueish looks]
    • View Profile
Re: Town Destroyed By Carp Help
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2010, 01:42:40 pm »

Because you never know when you'll find yourself involuntarily in the water.

Plus, depending on the body of water, swimming can be a shortcut. I always set out with 2 points in swimming.

Comrade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2010, 01:52:30 pm »

Also, i found a lake with slopes and i swam around a bit and im still wondering what level do i have to be to be able to getup from water not using a slope or is that not possible?

XSI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2010, 03:37:37 pm »

Also, i found a lake with slopes and i swam around a bit and im still wondering what level do i have to be to be able to getup from water not using a slope or is that not possible?

Novice swimmer, by using alt+movement while standing near an edge you can climb out of the water. This is why it's a good idea to put points in swimming.
What kind of statues are your masons making, that you think they have "maximum exposure"?
(Full frontal ones, apparently.  With very short beards.) 

valcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Experience rivers.
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2010, 04:00:17 pm »

Yep, I always put 2 into swim.  I've experienced too many rivers not to.

The only other thing you can do really is to make a fort in fortress mode and dig out some ramps going down into a pond, and take every adventurer you make to train there, because naturally occurring slopes into water are pretty rare.
Still doing Let's Plays, still got a gold toof. 

Adventure Mode:  The Movie!

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2010, 04:06:19 pm »

Also i can't even press escape on my death
40d16 issue. You have to press escape JUST when you died. If you press space to see the remaining log or something like that you're basically stuck.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2010, 04:52:30 pm »

Yeah, inhabited rivers near a town are bad, especially since they can attack people walking along the bank.  All it takes is one punk kid peeing in the river and suddenly an alligator gar grabs him.  Then the frenzy starts and the whole river is red.  It's quite a sight, I wish I could see it more often.
Shoes...

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2010, 05:20:48 pm »

Yep, I always put 2 into swim.  I've experienced too many rivers not to.

The only other thing you can do really is to make a fort in fortress mode and dig out some ramps going down into a pond, and take every adventurer you make to train there, because naturally occurring slopes into water are pretty rare.

I've actually used it to fight wolves as a bowman/crossbowman type adventurer. Jump into the river, get across, and snipe those puppies.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."
Pages: 1 [2]