Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: An adventurer has wandered near your fortress!  (Read 1996 times)

The Mad Engineer

• Bay Watcher
  • Tock.
    • View Profile
Re: An adventurer has wandered near your fortress!
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2010, 07:31:30 pm »

Just make sure he doesn't start building a trail of leather items or corpses from your booze stockpile to the nearest tree, and you should be fine.

Darkond2100

• Bay Watcher
  • Intrepid Groundhog
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2010, 07:42:56 pm »

Uris McLegendaryAdventurer has been made into a statue of the highest quality. WTF, when did this happen?
 Sounds like an easy button to me. Or you could put him in a cage and make him part of a trap.

Just make sure he doesn't start building a trail of leather items or corpses from your booze stockpile to the nearest tree, and you should be fine.
Does that work in Adventure Mode? I never knew about that.
your hoard, your dwarves, and your fortress.
I prefer Hoard, Horde, and Hovel...

Cardinal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2010, 10:30:21 pm »

It looks like a lot of the other links were about persistence and being able to just "let your adventurer go into the wild" and maybe he'll show up later, which is also a very tasty idea.  I think it'd be relatively easy to treat Adventurers as a whole spectrum from goofy (low-level adventurer) to Terrifying to Megabeast.  Naturally, they all have TRAPAVOID (I checked).
Engraved is an image of a Human and a video game. The Human is making a plaintive gesture.

bluephoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2010, 02:28:30 am »

I think the idea of a random adventurer(party) visiting your fortress is pretty interresting he could be quiet a nice "random event".

HatfieldCW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2010, 05:34:40 pm »

Adventurers can't handle traps.  One microcline mechanism, one pine cage, one bottled sociopath.
I brake for stumble bumblings

Cardinal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2010, 06:12:34 pm »

Adventurers can't handle traps.  One microcline mechanism, one pine cage, one bottled sociopath.

You've clearly never played Adventure mode, as all of my adventurers don't even notice traps, so obviously they're blessed with TRAPAVOID.  They've also got BUILDINGDESTROYER, I've used that one, too.
Engraved is an image of a Human and a video game. The Human is making a plaintive gesture.

HatfieldCW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2010, 06:27:45 pm »

You've clearly never played Adventure mode, as all of my adventurers don't even notice traps, so obviously they're blessed with TRAPAVOID.  They've also got BUILDINGDESTROYER, I've used that one, too.

Oho!  Such conclusion-jumping!  You're clearly never looked through the init file.  There's an option in there that's defaulted to remove all traps from adventure mode because it would be totally weak for your uberdestroyer to get stuck in a cage that he's got no way to see, disarm or escape, or crushed by a rock, or skewered on spikes, or whatever.  In fortress mode, though, it's all up and running and those poor little guys wouldn't stand a chance against my turtle-style kung fu.

Cardinal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2010, 06:47:49 pm »

Oho!  Such conclusion-jumping!  You're clearly never looked through the init file.  There's an option in there that's defaulted to remove all traps from adventure mode because it would be totally weak for your uberdestroyer to get stuck in a cage that he's got no way to see, disarm or escape, or crushed by a rock, or skewered on spikes, or whatever.  In fortress mode, though, it's all up and running and those poor little guys wouldn't stand a chance against my turtle-style kung fu.

Oh HO HO, since the adventurer has never been implemented, then it's all tabula rasa, and I say that the TRAPAVOID BUILDINGDESTROYER precedent is too well-established to ignore, and I like jumping to conclusions because it keeps me in shape.

In all seriousness, the less effective cage traps are, the better in my mind.  The complete uberness of a pine cage bothers me to no end.  I mean, I'm glad I've caught all these megabeasts but "Losing is fun" right?  If I was a dragon, I'd totally smash my way out of a pine cage, and so I think all adventurers should have some Indiana Jones DNA and keep the TRAPAVOID.

HatfieldCW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2010, 10:08:32 pm »

Oh HO HO, since the adventurer has never been implemented, then it's all tabula rasa, and I say that the TRAPAVOID BUILDINGDESTROYER precedent is too well-established to ignore, and I like jumping to conclusions because it keeps me in shape.

Ho-ho-ho, Green Giant.  Tabula Rasa sucked, and I completely agree about the pine cage thing.  Totally lame.  Of course, adventurers are by and large game-breakingly inconsistent.  Ideally, the new Titans would be tasked with insane whimsy and incredible power, allowing a more canon megabeast class to fulfill the role of the adventurer, which is really just a high-density packet of metagaming that menaces with spikes of nothing to lose.

Actually, an adventurer that's generated with vanilla DF specs would be a pretty fair inclusion.  Give him the [trAPAVOID] and [BUILDINGDESTROYER] tags to accommodate the vagaries of adventure mode, but limit him to the best manufactured goods present in the world that your fort inhabits and give him skills that don't exceed 22 or so in any category and he'd be a fierce competitor, but nothing a half-dozen elite marksdwarves couldn't eventually shoot in the neck.  Heck, most of my adventurers get killed by lampreys before they even try to genocide any civilizations.

I'd certainly support the inclusion of what amounts to emergent megabeasts, very powerful characters that can arise after the world has been generated and still have an impact on the game world.  I don't know if anyone here frequents GameDev.net, but there's a regular poster there who goes by the moniker "Wavinator", and he seems to be channeling a lot of DF principles into a more abstract sci-fi context.  He wrote a bit about the generation and disposition of significant AI figures in a dynamic world a while back.

Cardinal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2010, 12:35:29 pm »

the adventurer, which is really just a high-density packet of metagaming that menaces with spikes of nothing to lose.

Urist McMommy has just birthed a Masterpiece!

Post the links to the emergent stuff, I'd love to read it.  If Toady wants, he can put a few more events into the hopper to create other emergent megabeasts--people sell their souls or use arcane magic to become liches, a cat wrestling with a snake ends up falling in a pool of magic and becomes Mad Cat, the drops of blood from a dying god become the Hectionaires or Wyverns or a giant Pillsbury Dough Boy, it happens all the time.  I can see that Toady wants to have a real sense of eras from a high fantasy past to a more historical world where all those fantasy elements recede into myth, so he can make the Emergent Fluxes fade with time, to, or be created at world creation and destroyable, so that when your adventurer finally defeats the World-Spawned Morgoth, then maybe the Emergent Sauron takes over, but he's not nearly so powerful and even though he uses his fell magicks to create 9 Megabeast Henchmen (or more, I always wondered if the Mouth of Sauron was actually capable of more evil than he ever performed) but once he's killed, then you've simultaneously defeated a great evil but also removed some more of the legendary magic from the world.

Adventurers are the easiest spectrum opponent to envision (a novice adventurer isn't even as dangerous as a few zombie carp whereas a legendary adventurer who just came by from strangling to death an entire village may prove more difficult than a Titan) but there's all manner of created or trained to powerful opponents.  That's one of the reasons why I like the named creatures who've killed your dwarf (I wonder, should they get attribute bonuses with those names?).

PhilbertFlange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2010, 12:32:33 pm »

I like the idea of the adventurer coming into town and asking for quests. You could use this to get rare items that are normally not traded (Urist McMayor: Your quest is to retrieve 10 mermaid bones.).

The easier an item is to get, the more likely the adventurer will return (and become stronger). The harder an item is (say a sword used in a historical battle) the less likely it will be that the adventurer will return. Stronger adventurers would also show up more often as your fortress grows.
When life gives you lemons, you make lemonade.

When Dwarf Fortress gives you lemons, you mod them to have [DAMBLOCK:80][FLIER][FIREBREATH].

Safe-Keeper

• Bay Watcher
  • "Situation normal; all ****ed up"
    • View Profile
    • FS Mod tester
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2010, 04:05:33 pm »

I swear, if an adventurer appears on my map, wielding nothing except 3 pages of vomit, I'm going to preemtively abandon, and save myself the trauma.
If he was to approach my fort, he'd probably be put off by the children running around wearing nothing but a thick layer of various body fluids and a smile.

Unless he's into that sort of thing.
"Sieging humans brought some war polar bears, and one of them started a camp fire. Highly trained!" --Today One accidentally introduces the panserbjørn into Dwarf Fortress lore

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2010, 05:23:40 pm »

Now you know why the leaders of civilisation give quests to go off to far places to kill megabeasts or animals...
To get them the hell away from their town!
Thats why they dont give them a reward!

Should be able to do that...

like something in the manager screen, except your fort leader talks to him and you can select a few predetermine dwords.
And depending on the skill of the adventuerer and the amount of people allowed to go with him (make it so you can send some of your military as help)and the skill of the followers and their equipment increases the chance of them succeeding in the quest you sent them...

e.g.
Sent a wondering adventurer on a quest to kill the local goblin king.
if you send him by himself, and if he doesnt have a high ambush level then he doesnt have a great chance of succeeding...
But if you sent an adventurer with a party of your military dwarves all not having ambushing skills and just raw power and weapon/shield/armor skills, then they would basically do what a player adventurer does...
Absolute carnage in the town trying to kill them all...
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

Ze Spy

• Bay Watcher
  • I was your beginning - so shall I be...your end.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2010, 01:15:48 am »

wait , use trap to kill adventurers? you don't know if they are helpful or not , you don't want to crush a poor friendly adventurer who wants a random quest , do ya?

Cardinal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2010, 11:50:31 am »

Your dwarves should have an unhappy thought on seeing an adventurer.

Unless, of course, he's a wise old wizard and he tells one of your malcontent axe lords that he found a secret entrance into his grandfather's dark fortress, now occupied by a dragon, and that he knows where to find a top-rate burgler (Legendary Ambusher?).
Pages: 1 [2]