Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: I don't want to play anymore....  (Read 3171 times)

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
Re: I don't want to play anymore....
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2010, 10:09:49 pm »

I'm not holding my breath for the next version.  Tarn Adams will release it when he thinks it is ready, and as far as I can tell he has made no promises.  It could be next week.  It could be two months from now.  I want it as badly as anyone else, but I'm not planning my life around it.   :D

I am having more of a problem with trying to decide what mods to play with in the current version.  I was testing that Mega mod, and ended up trying to sort things out in a mix of my own.  It's been educational to deal with other people's perceptions of the natural world.  :D
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2010, 11:03:47 pm »

I have yet to find a mod I like more than Dig Deeper. Fun metals, fun megabeasts, fun crops, and funtm enemies. Everything about Dig Deeper screams win, I love it.

Relentless Assault was fun, but the game doesn't support that kind of siege progression and anyways I'm used to an accelerated warpath from Dig Deeper. By the time the giants and treants showed their ugly faces, I had them outnumbered and outgunned. Even at size 27 they were very short lived against my champion spear and marksdwarves.

Orc mod tended to make adventure mode unplayable with wolf spider world encounters. Anyways, all accounts say they aren't as tough as Dig Deeper orcs.

Fallout mod was interesting, but really needs the next version's custom workshops to be done right. Too much done through the smelter when it needed it's own workshop.

Dark Dwarves is fun, but like Fallout really needs next version's functionality. The dark magic was fun, though very unbalanced. Since the creator hasn't posted in a while, I may update it if he doesn't come back. Would be fun to do some in depth work with the new raws.

Better Goblins are good, but I like to have multiple trading and sieging races. I need to get the no mess goblins though, the current gobs leave too much behind.

One of the best things about DF is it's customization. There's a mod for everyone. Good luck finding yours.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Arrkhal

• Bay Watcher
  • Who modded in these flying killer attack babies???
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2010, 11:25:11 pm »

Same. No sooner do I get enough booze and food going and more bedrooms carved out, here comes the next bunch.  Bah.

Just ignore the housing situation and have an epic statue garden.  My fortress grew to a bit over 60 dwarves before I finally made an apartment level with 50 beds.  The earlier immigrants had been sleeping on rock and dirt floors for about 3 years by then.  They were also happier than the new arrivals, because of the artifact statue and artifact lever in the garden, artifact cage in the zoo, and artifact chair in the dining room.  I got really lucky with my moody dwarves.  No possessions, and every single artifact is useful!
In development: Arrkhal's Material and Weapon balance
Please test and let me know what still needs fixing.  And get these freakin' babies offa me!

Hummingbird

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2010, 11:36:14 pm »

OP: I'm aware this is the Dwarf mode forum and all, but you should try switching to Adventurer mode for a while! The time commitment is considerably smaller, and it is a really nice change of pace to explore the places and histories of the worlds you're playing in.
But Elves aren't Vegetarians. They eat people.
So they are humanitarians.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2010, 11:40:11 pm »

Orc mod tended to make adventure mode unplayable with wolf spider world encounters. Anyways, all accounts say they aren't as tough as Dig Deeper orcs.

Technically, Orc mod orcs are actually slightly faster and tougher, and can avoid webs, so I think those are stronger.

One of the best things about DF is it's customization. There's a mod for everyone. Good luck finding yours.

Or even make your own...
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2010, 02:21:30 pm »

Indeed, my own is the way to go.  :)  I am not opposed to freeloading from other people's work, though.  Why should I invent 30 kinds of fantasy plants when someone else already has?  I collected mods for a couple of weeks, then began collating.  Halfway through that, I began "correcting".  I put that in quotes because I feel I am on sound ground when I correct corn (aka maize) from a root crop to a grain crop.  I am on less sound ground when I make an executive decision about the properties of mithril.  Part of the pleasure for me is doing my own research, and if in the end I rewrite many parts, so much the better for my own entertainment.

I fully expect this project to take enough time that the new version will have been released before I am content.  :D  I can then run gleefully off to test the new version, and if it has major unplayability I can go back to my project until the problems are fixed.  If it has no such problems, well, neither will I.  Instead, I can look forward the conversion of my work to the new version, after I've tried the vanilla.  :)

If all else, fails, I can do some work on my NWN PW, or even, heavensforbid, clean the house.   :D

But the point is, I'm not holding back from playing for fear of becoming too bored.  What a thought.  :o  :D

Vicid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2010, 04:39:33 pm »

Try something challenging instead of making the same fort.  I've been working on carving a huge and dangerous labyrinth to throw nobles and immigrants, for example.

Supplies are dumped down there on occasion and everyone is armed and has the hunting task.  ;)

Wirevix

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammered Elf Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2010, 04:45:43 pm »

I've been taking advantage of the last stretch of time before the next release to try and build my first megaproject fort, Dragonangel.  So far, not much luck.  I need to remember which ~ symbol means exposed magma, and which ~ means hidden magma, to possibly prevent so many masons from being incinerated by fire imps while they try to wall in the opening.

Ideally it'll eventually at least somewhat resemble a dragon emerging from a moat of magma.  Realistically it'll probably look like some sort of lumpy worm, given my poor 2D-3D spacial recognition skills, but I can dream.
In other news, the trees in my game can have invisible sex.

Pasakoye

• Bay Watcher
  • c is for SCAMPS
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2010, 04:47:41 pm »

Remember this game is still considered alpha, most major updates will probably break all saves, but they, like the newest one, help improve the game. Until the core game is complete you should expect starting over. Consider it Fun.
I play as elves.
What the f*ck is wrong with you?
DF doesn't have a learning curve. It has a sheer cliff face. And you have to climb it with nothing but a keyboard.

Stas

• Bay Watcher
  • Procrastination
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2010, 05:06:06 pm »

One thing I love about DF is the Fun factor. I mean, you could get your entire fortress butt-rapped by clowns. But who cares? You can just go on and make another one. And then get tentacle-rapped by other types of clowns.

I'm just saying, DF has such a good replayability level(?) that losing a save is not much of a big deal.

No I'm not psychic. I just know that this is dwarf fortress. and the most stupidly awesome and inexplicable thing is probably going to be the first thing to happen.

Yagrum Bagarn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2010, 05:18:20 pm »

Save-breaking updates are the best kind.  The way Toady approaches updates, save breakers will often significantly change the game and how we play it.  Look at all the mind boggling new features coming out.  I've read multiple times that this will be the most fundamental change to the game since z-levels were added. 

In a way, the DF coming out won't be the same game we've all played.  Forget everything you know about DF; in a few weeks we'll all be Dabbling Gamers again.

Armok, I'm excited.
DF gives "Last Living Dwarf" a whole new meaning.

.gif credit (and thanks) to Whitney

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2010, 06:30:41 pm »

I've been taking advantage of the last stretch of time before the next release to try and build my first megaproject fort, Dragonangel.  So far, not much luck.  I need to remember which ~ symbol means exposed magma, and which ~ means hidden magma, to possibly prevent so many masons from being incinerated by fire imps while they try to wall in the opening.

Ideally it'll eventually at least somewhat resemble a dragon emerging from a moat of magma.  Realistically it'll probably look like some sort of lumpy worm, given my poor 2D-3D spacial recognition skills, but I can dream.

There is no seperate symbol for an underground magma source. A pipe is two tildes, a pool is one. The only way to tell if a magma source is underground or not apart from actually embarking, is to not have show all magma pipes and pools. IIRC, the underground ones will not show up anymore, whereas the aboveground ones will remain visible from the embark screen. combining this with a good memory of where that pipe is, or the finder feature to locate a pipe.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2010, 09:41:22 pm »

Also, magma pipes in mountain terrain are more likely to be either hidden or at least have a caldera.  Magma pipes in non-mountain terrain are usually exposed and flat all around.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2010, 11:23:16 pm »

Technically, Orc mod orcs are actually slightly faster and tougher, and can avoid webs, so I think those are stronger.

Interesting. I wonder how that compares with the Crucible Steel weapons in Dig Deeper. Wish we had the arena mode from the next version, I'm curious as to which is stronger now.

Also, magma pipes in mountain terrain are more likely to be either hidden or at least have a caldera.  Magma pipes in non-mountain terrain are usually exposed and flat all around.

Magma pipes in non-mountain terrain are usually, in my experience, covered. Maybe 1 in 4 are exposed, and those are a bitch to deal with, but most of them you have to dig down into.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Kyronea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2010, 05:54:29 am »

Does anyone else feel a little bit hesitant to play Dwarf Fortress much for fear that they'll get bored of it before the update arrives?
Not exactly, but I am holding off starting on a new fortress until the new version comes out, so that I can just go ahead with it rather than getting annoyed at having to wait till I'm bored with my current one to play the new version.
I have a woodcutter walking around who cancels his jobs and passes out every once and a while because he lost 3 of his 8 lungs
Pages: 1 [2] 3