Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The Tale of Daseb - UPDATE: Acute transplant rejection  (Read 2080 times)

Kinoko_Otoko

• Bay Watcher
  • Behold the saccharine visage of a fluffy wambler.
    • View Profile
The Tale of Daseb - UPDATE: Acute transplant rejection
« on: January 08, 2010, 04:50:18 pm »

So, I had a goblin ambush with a human member, a crossbowman. Of course, they stumbled into my cleverly hidden cage traps, so I currently have around twenty or so goblin prisoners, plus this one human. Well, I was setting up a drowning chamber off of my giant tower-cap farm (it has lakes and a drainage system already) and it occurred to me that this human might be a chick.

How about that, it was a chick!

So, being the gentlemanly type I am, I thought I'd use Dwarf Companion to 'reeducate' her. I switched all of her tags to match one of my dwarves, and she became a 'tame' human and is listed along with my dwarves. Upon inspecting her, I found a bizarre and tragic tale of brainwashing, badassery and horrible, horrible luck.

Here's her personal info:

Notice that she is:
~Member of the Goblin civ
~Former member of Human civ
~Former prisoner of Gobilin civ
...therefore, she must have been captured, abused and brainwashed by the goblins. Her personality makes it obvious that she's not a fighter - genuinely likes people, entirely averse to risk and excitement, creative, etc. I imagine that the goblins either truly brainwashed her or, slightly less depressingly, are threatening her family if she doesn't use her apparently awesome crossbow skills to kill for them. Crossbow skills as evidenced momentarily.
Alternatively, she might have come for revenge - I checked my champion's kill lists, and poor Giki (Daseb's husband) was apparently one of the humans who ambushed my fortress before.

She is the most decked-out person I've seen in DF yet:

You might notice a crapton of slugman, snailman and alligator stuff there. There's a reason for that:

She apparently went on a rampage in the Swamp of Crushing and made trophies out of a number of unfortunate molluscmen plus a mean-eating alligator and what can only have been its alligator henchman. I imagine that the 5 amulets she wears are all strung on a single necklace, and the 8 bracelets intertwine somehow.

Well, I went into Legends mode and looked up Daseb and her family. Things get even more messed up. I linked screens of their legends info below, but I'll summarize.

Daseb is a 26 year old female human who was abducted from her home at the tender age of 9; it took two years until she was brainwashed enough to be considered a 'normal' member of the Goblin society of the Vigorous Jackal, the Goblin group living in Stabbedghouls. At 13 (apparently having reached what Goblin society considers adulthood) she married Giki Prariescales, a male human (also 13). Giki was only one year old when he was abducted, and so is a fully indoctrinated member of Goblin society. This is evidenced in their religious beliefs; Daseb worships a number of Human gods, never having been swayed by the more violent, more demonic Goblin deity. Giki, however, is an ardent worshipper of the local demon lord.

Unfortunately, Giki had the misfortune to be sent on a raid to Greatstones, the most amazing Dwarf settlement in all the Plane of Omens, where he had the further misfortune of doing battle with Shem Trammeledlabors the Doused Decline of Crafting, one of the two legendary champions guarding the treasures of the great Dwarven stronghold.

Later that year Daseb herself, whether by or against her will, was captured at same Dwarven stronghold, leaving their only daughter Xuspgas Cobrafiend to be raised by goblins - coincidentally 9 years old at the time of seperation from both of her parents. Daughter of two different cultures, she worships all the same dieties as her mother plus the local Goblin demon lord. Will she grow into an embittered, Dwarf-hating warrior, to crusade for revenge for her parent's (presumed) deaths? Will there be a joyous reunion between the two when the diabolical Dwarven cage traps inevitably imprison Xuspgas? Only time will tell...

A closer inspection of the deities worshipped by Daseb tells a story of misery and misplaced hope. She is...

A worshipper of Bowu: Male human associated with torture and misery.
An ardent worshipper of Ano: Male human, love.
A worshipper of  Rushan Blossomlens the Hugs of Yarn: Female human deity of fertility, music, dance, festivals, revelry, song and poetry.
A faithful worshipper of Ase Dawnedblossom: Female human deity of rebirth.

We can deduce an unhealthy obsession with the idea of a male figure of some kind dishing out pain and suffering, possibly on the goblins who have made her lead such a miserable existence. Perhaps she fantasizes about a nearly-forgotten father figure coming to rescue her? Or more likely a lover of some kind, as evidenced by her worship of a masculine deity of love. This could be indicative of a lack of affection from her long-time husband.
Then we have the feminine deity of all things bright and cheery, completely out of place in a Goblin culture. This probably is due to a desire to live the kind of carefree, creative life that suits her personality.
And finally, we have the deity of rebirth. She probably considers her abduction and indoctrination into Goblin culture as a rebirth of sorts, and may wish for a subsequent 'rebirth' into yet another culture as an escape.

Other details of note are that Daseb did battle with two other man-eating (or more likely goblin-eating) alligators in the Swamp of Crushing, and escaped both of them.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Here is a small map of the likely area of Daseb's residence.

All of the dark green on the left of the map is the Swamp of Crushing, which extends for many miles to the west and in fact occupies a significant portion of the world. The two Goblin towers (the pink things) are likely Stabbedghouls and Watchhates, the original home of Giki.

Well, perhaps she will get some of her wishes in Greatstones, where she will be stripped to her braies and chained to one of the columns in my giant dining hall, to serve as fortress Pole Dancer.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 09:17:50 pm by Kinoko_Otoko »

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
Re: The Tale of Daseb: Tragedy, Heartbreak, Torment, Brainwashing
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2010, 05:04:59 pm »

Daseb's daughter is 9 years old right?  If your fortress lasts long enough, then she might actually grow up and attack your fortress someday.  Maybe.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2010, 07:33:26 pm »

What an awesome(tragic) tale!
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2010, 08:11:01 pm »

Didn't Flarechannel already told us that off-site people don't age? So I'm afraid the kid is going to be nine years old.

Forever.

In a goblin fortress.

That's like, double horrible.

Anyway.
Tragic tale.
You know it's bad, when a random assailant that you capture has an actual backstory, a tragic history and all the good stuff that you usually get in a movie, as long as it's not made in Hollywood.

What's worse, now I can never again simply off some human or elf, or god forbid, dwarf amidst goblins without remembering this thread.

I will especially remember it from the human/elf-bone decorated skull totem.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2010, 08:46:30 pm »

Since that unfortunate daughter will never grow up, it means that you can play safely without concern that she'll be sent as cannon fodder, and her mother need not worry about her daughter's safety.

You can then go find the daughter and rescue her in adventure mode...
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2010, 08:53:04 pm »

Bonus points if you take Daseb along. Double bonus points if both her and the kid actually survive. Triple bonus points if you make it back to a city to retire in, without getting killed by a pack of wolves on the way.

DO IT. FOR THE CLOSURE. TO THIS RIDICULOUSLY SAD STORY OF PEOPLE IN A RANDOMLY GENERATED GAME.

Ahem. Sorry about that. When I get excited, I start screaming.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 08:55:40 pm by Ieb »

Kinoko_Otoko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Tale of Daseb - UPDATE: Acute transplant rejection
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2010, 09:17:29 pm »

So, I also was handed a female dwarf who, upon reeducation, became a glassmaker of all things. I had started from a save a few weeks back from the spot I wrote the previous post at. Anyway, I finally got the two (Daseb and the dwarf) reeducated and the dwarf was happily hauling things through the fortress when I started getting interruption messages (Urist McHauler cancels store item in stockpile: Interrupted by Glassmaker) followed shortly by 'Urist McGlassmaker has been struck down'. Apparently a passing dwarf had beat the newly reeducated dwarf to death.

Daseb was still in the drowning pit (I'd dumped her there for safekeeping while I reeducated her), so I assigned her to the red velvet rope I had set up in the dining hall, thinking since she displayed as 'Tame' they might not bother her. Urist McButcher, Murderer (custom profession name, hehe) successfully hauled her all the way up to the dining hall and chained her up.

But it was not to be. A couple minutes later I get 'Urist McFatass cancels Eat: Interrupted by Pole Dancer' followed by 'Daseb Nourishedclasped, Pole Dancer has been struck down'. Yet again, a random dwarf beat her to death.

Of course I'm reloading from my last save (immediately prior to reeducation) to fix it, but I'm not sure if I can; I had all the tags set identical to my own dwarves, and the civilization hex was the same. The only thing I can think of is to try the 'tame & steal' function in Dwarf Companion... I'm guessing the other dwarves saw these two as enemies because they were still members of the other civ somehow. They both still read as members of the goblin civ in their descriptions.

Also, it should be noted that while I was fiddling with her soldier settings trying to deactivate her from the military so she could work (unsuccessfully), she for some reason shed all her clothing and armor, retaining only her bracelets, amulets, earrings and the bloodstains on her feet. I thought this should be noted because it is hot.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 09:20:01 pm by Kinoko_Otoko »

Cardinal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2010, 09:31:16 pm »

Wow, what a spectacular, emergent storyline.  Maybe in the future Toady will allow chained prisoners to talk to your dwarves, so that a skilled persuader (or liar or consoler) can do what you've done with Dwarf Companion.
Engraved is an image of a Human and a video game. The Human is making a plaintive gesture.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2010, 12:19:26 am »

Anyway.
Tragic tale.
You know it's bad, when a random assailant that you capture has an actual backstory, a tragic history and all the good stuff that you usually get in a movie, as long as it's not made in Hollywood.

What's worse, now I can never again simply off some human or elf, or god forbid, dwarf amidst goblins without remembering this thread.

I will especially remember it from the human/elf-bone decorated skull totem.

You misspelled awesome. Only in DF will your enemies have tragic backstories that aren't scripted. Only DF can dynamically generate stories that awesome. And having dev_now, it will only get better.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

arghy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2010, 02:27:41 am »

So, I also was handed a female dwarf who, upon reeducation, became a glassmaker of all things. I had started from a save a few weeks back from the spot I wrote the previous post at. Anyway, I finally got the two (Daseb and the dwarf) reeducated and the dwarf was happily hauling things through the fortress when I started getting interruption messages (Urist McHauler cancels store item in stockpile: Interrupted by Glassmaker) followed shortly by 'Urist McGlassmaker has been struck down'. Apparently a passing dwarf had beat the newly reeducated dwarf to death.

Daseb was still in the drowning pit (I'd dumped her there for safekeeping while I reeducated her), so I assigned her to the red velvet rope I had set up in the dining hall, thinking since she displayed as 'Tame' they might not bother her. Urist McButcher, Murderer (custom profession name, hehe) successfully hauled her all the way up to the dining hall and chained her up.

But it was not to be. A couple minutes later I get 'Urist McFatass cancels Eat: Interrupted by Pole Dancer' followed by 'Daseb Nourishedclasped, Pole Dancer has been struck down'. Yet again, a random dwarf beat her to death.

Of course I'm reloading from my last save (immediately prior to reeducation) to fix it, but I'm not sure if I can; I had all the tags set identical to my own dwarves, and the civilization hex was the same. The only thing I can think of is to try the 'tame & steal' function in Dwarf Companion... I'm guessing the other dwarves saw these two as enemies because they were still members of the other civ somehow. They both still read as members of the goblin civ in their descriptions.

Also, it should be noted that while I was fiddling with her soldier settings trying to deactivate her from the military so she could work (unsuccessfully), she for some reason shed all her clothing and armor, retaining only her bracelets, amulets, earrings and the bloodstains on her feet. I thought this should be noted because it is hot.
Put her on a raised platform with gold/plat/silver chains--why do you think strippers are always on raised platforms? those business men have a habit of striking them down.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2010, 07:04:12 am »

Problem: intelligent members of your civ require food, water, and sleep.

Solution: mod them out for humans. The glassmaker is probably screwed though. Hermit?
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Kinoko_Otoko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2010, 09:09:04 am »

I'm actually fairly certain this had nothing to do with food, given the interruption messages and the 'struck down' message (surely starvation would give a different message than struck down?)

Oh, nevermind, I get you. If the tame/steal function in DC doesn't work I'll just keep her in a cage built into the dining hall until I can get it to work (or whatever).
« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 09:10:57 am by Kinoko_Otoko »

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2010, 09:52:34 pm »

Critters who have ever killed one of your Dwarves are never trustworthy even if you tame them and they show as tame.  Maybe the same thing holds true for re-patriated captives from the goblins?
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Arrkhal

• Bay Watcher
  • Who modded in these flying killer attack babies???
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2010, 10:07:33 pm »

Histories in DF are absolutely awesome.

The other night I had a dwarf civ comprised of a mere 10 individuals; a married couple and their children.  Turns out that civ had conquered a very weak elf civ, only to gain the ire of a much more powerful one.  The dwarves were utterly destroyed other than children, on a seemingly yearly basis.  They got desperate enough to choose an Elf queen, trying to go the Cacame Awemedinade route.  While she proved to be a True Dwarf to the end, she died.  It was 2 dwarves and 1 elf at that point, against an invading elf army numbering 129 elves.  The dwarves died without inflicting any casualties whatsoever, whereas Imepe the elf tore out the druid's left eye with her bare hands, killed 4 other elves, and wounded and mutilated a dozen others before succumbing to an elven bowman.  I like to picture her saying something like "you see, choosing me for your queen was a wise choice!  I know all the vulnerabilities of the elves!  Watch, and I will show you their greatest weakness!" before gouging out the druid's eye.  Epic.

The following year, two dwarf children reached age 12, and were finally able to fight, the dwarven king and his future wife.  They killed 59 elves, their very first battle, and were married later that year, still age 12.  The king was orphaned at age 1 as an infant, his parents slaughtered by the elves; his wife lost her mother at age 1, and her father at age 3.  But they got some small measure of vengeance in the end; they killed over 500 elves between the two of them, over the course of 130 years of war.

I embarked as that civ, and... I have no idea where all these stupid milkers and soapers and fish dissectors and lyemakers came from!
« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 10:12:38 pm by Arrkhal »
In development: Arrkhal's Material and Weapon balance
Please test and let me know what still needs fixing.  And get these freakin' babies offa me!

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2010, 10:09:56 pm »

They are dangerous ONLY if they kill a member of you civilization ON YOUR MAP.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned
Pages: [1] 2