Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: So I breached the HFS...  (Read 2003 times)

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
So I breached the HFS...
« on: January 08, 2010, 03:33:45 pm »

I got tired with the current fortress, due to its lack of water, food, and the imminent release of a new version. So, I decided to end it in a bloody mess by breaching the HFS. Problem is, I didn't end it.

From a population of ~85, I'm down to 14. 6 of them are Champion Guardsmen, and the reason my fort still stands is because one of my Royal Guards earned himself the appellation of Clownslayer by singlehandedly dropping 13 of'm, including the Ringmaster. Unfortunately, because they are all champions I cannot reassign them from guard duty.

3 of the survivors are nobles: The Dungeonmaster, the Hammerer, and the Philosopher. In large part, they spend their time changing the prices of goods nobody can buy.

The final 5 survivors are children. One of those children is still a baby, and the principle offhand weapon of the Captain of the Guard. They spend their time cavorting and capering with the baby elephants who were released from the elephant breeding pen by the Ringmaster. They also gathered the last harvest, but since nobody is alive to plant more food the fields lie fallow.

Most of the elaborate traps I had established were either destroyed or discharged in the Great Clown Escape. I noticed halfway through that a herd of Zombie Elephants had blundered through the traps at the front gate, and the only thing keeping more from coming is a thin red line of Weapon Traps by the north gate. The southern gate has a single loaded cage trap remaining.

Elves just came, and to secure my food and booze supplies I seized all their goods. Another fortress guardsman fell by foiling a goblin ambush. He currently rots outside, which is a touch better than rotting inside with all the other corpses.

The only person doing any work is the DM, who is rather determinedly smelting iron at the sole surviving smelter. What with the dwarven economy being in effect, the accounts of the children are rapidly becoming drained, as they are orphans one and all. With no butcher, my critters are breeding out of control, and young horses, mules, kittens, and elephants wander the halls aimlessly.

One child, who lost a rather large family to the Clowns, repeatedly tantrums in the statue garden/graveyards spread at intervals around the fort. Many masterworks have been destroyed, and aged dwarf bones spill into the corridors.

Surprise, surprise, my horrifying deathtrap of a fortress failed to attract new immigrants. On the plus side, my FPS hasn't been this good in a long time. I'm rather interested to see how long my automated defences and randomly wandering guards can hold off the inevitable. I was besieged by goblins last fall. If they come again, it could well be the final nail in the =Kaolinite coffin=

Fun times!

Mraedis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: So I breached the HFS...
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2010, 03:49:45 pm »

You can make it!
GENERATION 30:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2010, 03:54:14 pm »

I approve of this!

That should be a new challenge. Keep a fort running with only champions, nobles, and children.

Raneman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2010, 03:54:55 pm »

Are you using the IT mod, or is that lingo?

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2010, 04:06:32 pm »

Are you using the IT mod, or is that lingo?

Straight vanilla DF right there.

First time breaching the HFS too. I really did not expect to survive this, as this fort isn't particularly well concieved. No river or brook or anything, and all the water dried up before the well got more than a splash, and hasn't been back in any great numbers since. A broken bone means death, and about half the total fatalities on the map are due to training injuries or something equally stupid.

The Captain of the Guard was elected Mayor, and shortly thereafter gave birth to a baby boy. Spring has been uneventful otherwise. Since everybody spends their time socializing, not much else is going on right now.

milaga

• Bay Watcher
  • No Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2010, 04:55:46 pm »

Nice. Can't wait to hear what becomes of this cursed fort.
Thanks for that...  now I have the image of Urist McBooger walking up to me with a creepy smile and asking me if I want a "dwarven shower".

small lawe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2010, 05:25:29 pm »

At least you managed to beat the pits, I got slaughtered by my lack of preperations. . .
In the end I managed to kill 1 demon just after the film ends and lose 88 dwarves, was very Fun.

http://www.mkv25.net/dfma/viewmovie.php?view_movieid=1704
http://www.mkv25.net/dfma/movie-1705-hfstheend

Anyway tell us how it goes.

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2010, 11:20:09 pm »

I think I was over-prepared the first time I breached the HFS. Took only one casualty(A weaver who decided to collect silk from the bottomless pit, which was en-route to the HFS), and slaughtered all the clowns. Made armor from their bones, and equipped my champions in it. Not that it's very effective, but it looks cool. I'm working on making an HFS mod because of that now. The current ringleader is an average clown, and I have all sorts of beasties from various myths filling the ranks. Not sure if I should just make the HFS super-dangerous, or make the clowns their own civilization.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 09:57:41 am by RandomNumberGenerator »
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

Earth Striker Lurin

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's Go to Work...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2010, 12:12:12 pm »

it's been 2 days!  Any progress monk?
"So I looked to the left of me, looked to the right of me, raised the giant's severed arm above my head and said 'Let's go to work...'"   -- Lurin Diamondfist relating the time he had to mine without a pick axe.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2010, 10:20:52 pm »

it's been 2 days!  Any progress monk?

Yep! Life tends to get in the way weekends for me.

The Queen arrived in disguise, which is a new milestone for me. She also brought a new Count, his Consort, and a Tax Collector. In addition, 22 other migrants, whom I believe now have a date with the Dwarven Atom Smasher. Although its tempting to rebuild from nothing, I'm still fairly bored with the fortress. It has, however, given me the inspirtion to build up my next fort with only the starting 7 and their children. But thats another fortress.

The only migrants I shall save are the Nobility, a Swordsdwarf, and an Axedwarf, by virtue of having the balls to come to my deathtrap as frontline defenders.

When I founded Nommomuz, "Godlycrypts", I built the main entrance into the side of the mountain, near the top. About 15 tiles opposite it, to the west, is a largish outcrop of rock that I dug into and hollowed in later years. I then walled in the area to make an inner bailey. My idea was to have the soldiers barracks in the natural tower area, with marksdwarves raining death from above and my infantry sallying against any foe who breached the line of traps once they reached the inside. Due to a gross misunderstanding of how fortifications work, this lead to my marksdwarves being slaughtered en masse and a rather large, difficult space to defend. I can shut the main gates to the fortress, but enemies can path through the barracks down the stairs and straight into the residential block. Through the mayors office, incidentally. I was halfway through walling it off when the Breach happened.

Incidentally, I learned why Urist McClownkiller was so effective. When the last siege wiped out my standing army, I took the extreme measure of equipping my guardsmen with armor. When I Breached, he was already at or near legendary in Armor User, Shield User, and Wrestling. At Breach, I drafted the entire fortress in an attempt to prolong the fight, and this involved arming the fools valiant defenders as well. I'd been churning out crappy Iron Maces at the behest of my mayor, so everybody got a pair. And lemme tell you, once the tentacles start flying Macedwarf is a skill that levels FAST. He's Legendary right now.

I'm rather determined to finish off Godlycrypts in style. I have no magma, and no running water, so I'm trying for either a tantrum spiral or onslaught of foes. The nobles stay because nobody will meet their mandates, leading to legendary beatings. I'll get my food and booze by seizing all the caravans that come my way, excepting the Dwarf Caravan, which I'll trade for.

If anybody's got a more interesting way to end it, I'll thank you!

EDIT: I just remembered I have a load of gobbos caged in my arena, as well as a pair of Zombie Elephants and a Zombie Tigerman. Instead of Atomsmashing the Recruits, I believe I'll hold some gladiatorial games for my amusement!
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 10:23:41 pm by monk12 »

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2010, 03:13:15 am »

If you're wanting goblins to show up in force, then it'd be better to have at least one Craftsdwarf around to make Raw Adamantine mugs. More wealth means more goblins. If you leave some of them lying around unattended outside and three of them get carried off by kobolds, then you'll see some kobold ambushes as well.

HammerHand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2010, 11:32:09 am »

It has, however, given me the inspirtion to build up my next fort with only the starting 7 and their children. But thats another fortress.

I've tried this a couple times, but only once did it go anywhere fun.  I pumped out plenty of mugs and crafts so I could trade for goods I couldn't otherwise get, and soon found myself at the mercy of a goblin ambush.
... And then the zombie mountain goats.
... and then the berserk dwarves.
... and then more goblins.

Ah, yes.  Fun.  You're making me want to try again.  Again.  All the other times I've insisted on letting a FEW migrants in, just to stave off the in-breeding.. but I never get very far before I'm bored again.
Sooooooaaaaaap!
Tha's grreat!
Soooocks!

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2010, 12:39:08 pm »

You're gonna need someone to make food aren't you?  I doubt you can survive off of stealing from merchants for long and sooner or later a tantrum may destroy the trade depot.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2010, 01:29:27 pm »

Tentacle clowns are, perhaps, easy.

FIRE clowns, however, are not. Most of my military burned.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2010, 06:21:02 pm »

Tentacle clowns are, perhaps, easy.

FIRE clowns, however, are not. Most of my military burned.

Wasn't most of your military grizzly bears? Or am I getting your epic clown defense mixed up with someone else?
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325
Pages: [1] 2