Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Friendly Megabeasts  (Read 2115 times)

Raneman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Friendly Megabeasts
« on: January 08, 2010, 03:26:43 pm »

Megabeasts weren't always evil in lore... What about intelligent friendly megabeasts?

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Friendly Megabeasts
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2010, 03:33:11 pm »

You mean... A friendly... dragon?  :o
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

Raneman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2010, 03:37:28 pm »

No,no, more like Titans and intelligent creatures. Mythological creatures that are friendly usually can speak and whatnot.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2010, 03:41:06 pm »

Intelligent, peaceful megabeasts are already possible in the current DF, just they aren't in the vanilla version.

I heard of an Ancient Vampire megabeast being elected as the mayor of someone's fort recently...
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Raneman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2010, 03:42:14 pm »

Intelligent, peaceful megabeasts are already possible in the current DF, just they aren't in the vanilla version.

I heard of an Ancient Vampire megabeast being elected as the mayor of someone's fort recently...

Well then, can we have some vanilla ones, then?

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2010, 03:43:57 pm »

I thought I read that friendly (or at least good) random Titans and Forgotten Beasts are generated in the next version. I might be wrong, though, as usual.

The issue is whether or not there'd be any reason for such creatures to exist in practical gameplay terms, especially in Fortress mode. Something like this will almost certainly come about - due to the obvious potential significance in Adventurer mode - but implementing them in Fortress mode might be a bit harder.

What happens? Does some random colossus appear saying "Oh, I was just passing through, wondering if I could help with the hauling or administation or fish cleaning or whatever" and goes through your weird quantum fort entrance to go and hang around in the meeting hall?

Here's another idea: Active diplomatic relations with the resident megabeasts. Consider that a cyclops can live in a cave directly surrounded by several towns and not get hunted down - it makes me think that they have something going on. The nuances of the process involved could rely on the specific personality of the megabeast, and/or possibly with a liason noble set by the player who'd undertake the meetings.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2010, 04:47:46 pm »

Tributes, for example?

Like, the Cyclops receives a number of sheep a year from the human towns, and in return doesn't kick their houses over. Maybe he even fights for them when threatened?

I don't remember if there were any cyclopes like that in the greek myths, but I'll bet giants from germanic ones would spring for something like that.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2010, 05:23:22 pm »

Yeah, that sort of thing. Of course, that would all depend on how well the liaison identifies with, or understands the concept of, giving tributes, whether or not the megabeast is willing to communicate or just attacks anyone in sight who isn't carrying a pile of food in its direction, and such. It's reasonable because that's the way everything else is going, and personalities in general just ache for expansion (not like they're not extremely detailed already).

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2010, 05:38:03 pm »

Well there are generally two areas to explore in this thread.

1) Megabeast relationships: The ability for megabeasts, especially intelligent ones, to form affiliations with other entities thus producing the chance
2) Benevolent Megabeasts (or just friendly ones): Either the ability for megabeasts to develop this personality or for megabeasts with this personality to arise. Benevolent Megabeast's have goals that do not include destruction.

Of course you can even go further and include any sort of megabeast behavior that doesn't just go out to destroying things. so
1) Megabeast Goals: A megabeast may have specific goals that doesn't nessisarily lead to destruction. While Cerberous defended the gate of the underworld from both the living trying to get in (and the dead getting out) it was a very ferocious beast.
2) God, Power, artifact, and Civilisation Affiliated Creatures: The megabeast could be naturally affiliated with certain entities in the game. Perhaps the Dragon is sworn to whomever holds the Crown of Dragons, perhaps the Hydra is an extension of a Demon's Ego, maybe that Bronze Collosus was created by the Forge God as a punishment on the world. The Megabeast's actions would be entwined with what its connection is towards.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2010, 12:39:41 am »

No,no, more like Titans and intelligent creatures. Mythological creatures that are friendly usually can speak and whatnot.

You know, I like the idea of sentient dragon (cough, see avatar), especially in the context of ruling over civs.  Especially through puppet kings.

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2010, 12:49:34 am »

We already have demons commanding the ranks of goblins.  Why not give megabeasts the same pleasure?  After all, titans and cyclopses aren't feral beings who just run around and attack things for fun or hunger, and dragons aren't necessarily either.  Hydras, more likely, but not always.
I've never tried it and there's a good chance it could make them freak out.
Do it.
Severedcoils - the Baron Consort accumulation challenge
Severedcoils II: The Reckoning - a DnD 5e Adventure set in the world of Severedcoils

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2010, 01:12:14 am »

We already have demons commanding the ranks of goblins.  Why not give megabeasts the same pleasure?  After all, titans and cyclopses aren't feral beings who just run around and attack things for fun or hunger, and dragons aren't necessarily either.  Hydras, more likely, but not always.
Already in next version, if they're [INTELLIGENT_LEARNS] and [POWER]. (Not sure which MBs have that combination, but Toady had it as goal to have it not be the exclusive provenance of demonkind.)
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2010, 01:41:42 am »

Besides, being a power-class creature and being a megabeast are two entirely different things - they're not mutually exclusive by any means, but in the current version there aren't any power-class megabeasts, and there aren't any megabeast powers.

What I'm trying to say is that it's not just in the next version, it's already there, in a sense, as long as one is not adverse to modding.

Toastergargletop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2010, 02:50:03 am »

so i've tried adding the [power] token to the mega beasts, it didn't give me any civs led by mega beasts.  now i'm thinking that i need to do something with spheres to get this to happen.  anyone have any other ideas?

Ze Spy

• Bay Watcher
  • I was your beginning - so shall I be...your end.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2010, 03:21:41 am »

[CAN_LEARN]

without that , they can't get skills , which means they will never ever be the mayor/ruler/whatever of a civ
Pages: [1] 2 3