Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Personal Gardens  (Read 1793 times)

Chthonic

• Bay Watcher
  • Whispers subterrene.
    • View Profile
Personal Gardens
« on: January 08, 2010, 02:29:30 pm »

Small farm plots should be designable as "owned by x dwarf" in the same way that statue gardens and so forth are.  If a dwarf is of a gardening bent ("enjoys being outdoors") or likes fisherberries and the like, the dwarf could spend his/her breaks and other spare time planting his garden to personal taste without necessarily having the farming labor enabled or being a designated planter.

When the economy gets going (and Toady makes it functional) dwarves might buy and sell seeds or produce.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: Personal Gardens
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2010, 02:35:04 pm »

I really like that idea. Perhaps allow farm plots to be designated as available for dwarves to claim, the same way bedrooms are now?
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Geb

• Bay Watcher
  • I have lost my spoon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2010, 06:29:57 pm »

Alongside functional gardens, I'd like to see decorative ones as well. It could be done using the same farm plot building by adding a plant that doesn't wither so rapidly when left unharvested, and which only yields seeds for the next planting.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2010, 06:38:00 pm »

For context, gardens as a game concept have been discussed several times.  The part that hasn't come up much is the personal aspect.

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2010, 07:11:13 pm »

Oh god, more stuff for nobles to tantrum over. Why? WHY??
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

lucusLoC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2010, 08:32:38 pm »

a mechanic for owned workshops has also been discussed before, though it never realy got into recreational aspects. i think i will update my previous thread.

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=40667.0
Quantum dumps are proof of "memory" being a perfectly normal dimension in DF. ~Gazz

Felblood

• Bay Watcher
  • No, you don't.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2010, 07:50:04 am »

I think the recreational aspect of gardens is the most important part of this suggestion.

It has benefits for players of a wide variety of profiles.

Hobbies make dwarves more interesting for storytelling. They say that Sun Tsu retired to grow cabbages in his garden, and refused a summons from the emperor, because it would disrupt his gardening time. I don't know if that's true, but it makes for a great story, which is of great interest to many players.

Players who just want heir dwarves to be busy little worker ants, that never tire or complain, will be happy to see another way to make dwarves productive, even during their leisure time.

A dwarf should consider the distance to his garden, and the distance from his garden to his bed, before he decides to garden on a given day. We don't want him passing out on the way home, because he decided to plant some berries after work.
The path through the wilderness is rarely direct. Reaching the destination is useless,
if you don't learn the lessons of the dessert.
--but you do have to keep walking.

Safe-Keeper

• Bay Watcher
  • "Situation normal; all ****ed up"
    • View Profile
    • FS Mod tester
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2010, 08:26:31 am »

Oh god, more stuff for nobles to tantrum over. Why? WHY??
Watching a noble tantrum and pelt some unfortunate liaison with potatoes would be a sight for gods ;D.

Better yet, picture a tantrum spiral in a vegetable garden, a food fight gone Dwarf Fortress.

Hobbies make dwarves more interesting for storytelling. They say that Sun Tsu retired to grow cabbages in his garden, and refused a summons from the emperor, because it would disrupt his gardening time.
Sounds very much like a DF moment...

Alongside functional gardens, I'd like to see decorative ones as well. It could be done using the same farm plot building by adding a plant that doesn't wither so rapidly when left unharvested, and which only yields seeds for the next planting.
I like this. I don't exactly see dwarves plant flower beds, but it should be something you should come across in adventurer mode or when embarking at some human site.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 08:28:47 am by Safe-Keeper »
"Sieging humans brought some war polar bears, and one of them started a camp fire. Highly trained!" --Today One accidentally introduces the panserbjørn into Dwarf Fortress lore

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2010, 02:31:36 pm »

It seems to me that it'd make sense for these to be workable/visible in the worldmap; I.E. fields of flowers with little red *'s everywhere.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Felblood

• Bay Watcher
  • No, you don't.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2010, 07:35:47 pm »

If the player wants to engage in a little landscaping around the trade depot, I don't see why a mixture of statues and flower beds wouldn't be acceptable.

Plus, some flowers might be useful for extracting poisons or medicines.

I'm not saying that I'm ready to embrace the idea of dwarven florists shops, that sell overpriced gifts to lovestruck dwarven nobles, but It wouldn't have to be so boldly whimsical.
The path through the wilderness is rarely direct. Reaching the destination is useless,
if you don't learn the lessons of the dessert.
--but you do have to keep walking.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2010, 01:24:50 am »

I like this idea.  Makes Hanging Gardens type megastructures all that more interesting to look at once completed.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2010, 07:21:44 am »

Would all dwarves like this or just the ones that like to work outdoors?

Useless plants like flowers should get priority over another plump helmet farm. If the game somehow supported it, vines are pretty dwarfy. That is, outdoor vines. The concept of an underground vine is pretty dumb if you think about it

Grower should probably be renamed Gardener

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2010, 03:48:14 pm »

I like the idea. Towns and Buildings look to me a bit dead.

Planting pots of any size (or sandbafs as improvised plantpots) could count as a "minigarden" in and on Building so that a dwarf that likes gardening can do it even if he is in a damn ice-desert or a green(glass)-house.

"Personalated gardens" could also have use for Farmers in ADV-mode so the Ai can distinguish between the fields of farmer Urist and farmer Bomrek.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2010, 07:58:50 pm »

I like it.

And definitly have some of the flowers be able to have things extracted from them... prehaps finally a cure for those damn cave spider bites.
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!