Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Getting rid of bad professions  (Read 1884 times)

Nogford

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Getting rid of bad professions
« on: January 08, 2010, 01:17:53 pm »

I really dislike how much time is spent cycling past all the (currently) useless professions like Lye Maker, Potash Maker and Fish Dissector. Would it nto be possible to combine several of them (for example, making Alchemist a profession encompassing Lye, Potash, Pearlash etc. manufacturing) or at least temporarily remove them until their related features are further developed?
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 01:23:31 pm by Nogford »

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Getting rid of bad professions
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2010, 01:45:12 pm »

Clearly you've never tried to have a soap or clear glass industry before. Useless is relative.

Soap will be more important in the next version. As for improvements in the labor sorting, many have been suggested (generally including putting labors the dwarf has skills in at the top). It'll probably have to wait until the UI overhaul, though, which means you'd better get used to the status quo.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2010, 01:56:02 pm »

Derakon, im fairly certain thats not how your supposed to respond to suggestions.
You dont have any control over how the game develops or any idea witch direction it will take, just where toady thinks he will go from here.

At any rate, i kinda like this idea. Half these jobs have absolutely no realistic use, and the rest are pretty much empty. So i support the job merging solution or some other idea someone comes up with.
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2010, 02:01:43 pm »

Derakon, im fairly certain thats not how your supposed to respond to suggestions.
You dont have any control over how the game develops or any idea witch direction it will take, just where toady thinks he will go from here.

What exactly did he do wrong? Soap is more important in the next version, and a UI overhaul is planned somewhere in the future.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2010, 02:41:29 pm »

Removing the labors altogether isn't feasible. It'd reduce the amount of control you have over your dwarves

The skill list should be sorted by order of the unit's highest skill. I'd personally also reduce the the ranks of menial labor skills to 8 and list them separate from "real" skills

• Dabbling
  • Novice
  • Adequate
  • Competent
  • Skilled
  • Adept
  • Master

I'm not sure what the point of dabbling skills are. They should disappear over time if not trained

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2010, 03:55:44 pm »

I believe that the labour screen is being shortened in the next release.

alfie275

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2010, 05:13:28 pm »

We need more expanding menus like:
Code: [Select]
Stone
Wood
Glass
Building
Food
Diplomatic

Could expand to:
Code: [Select]
Stone
Mining
Masonry
Stone detailing
Wood
Glass
Building
Masonry
Carpentry
Architecture
Food
Diplomatic
I do LP of videogames!
See here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrAlfie275

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2010, 06:00:42 pm »

Stuff

What exactly did he do wrong? Soap is more important in the next version, and a UI overhaul is planned somewhere in the future.

He didnt really get the point, it was that there are alot of uselss labors right now, even though soap is going to be important, it still doesent really encompass what the OP is trying to say.

Yeah the UI overhaul wasnt one of my issues with that.
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

Arrkhal

• Bay Watcher
  • Who modded in these flying killer attack babies???
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2010, 06:20:46 pm »

I'd say the main thing is that immigrants should have more realistic, "organic" skill mixes, rather than the old 2 to 1 or 1 in 3 formula now.  It should be very unlikely to find someone who only knows how to dissect extracts out of fish, and can't do anything else at all.
In development: Arrkhal's Material and Weapon balance
Please test and let me know what still needs fixing.  And get these freakin' babies offa me!

Entropy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2010, 09:14:40 am »

Actually, I think a nested menu would be great for that.
Perhaps break it out by profession (all crafts under one sub-menu, all farming under another, etc).
That would help a little.

Scrolling through pages of jobs due to junk like 'fish dissector' is a bit useless.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2010, 10:33:41 am »

I'd say the main thing is that immigrants should have more realistic, "organic" skill mixes, rather than the old 2 to 1 or 1 in 3 formula now.  It should be very unlikely to find someone who only knows how to dissect extracts out of fish, and can't do anything else at all.

The worst part is that there's both a fish cleaner and a fish dissector profession, when realistically they're basically the same thing.

And then there's Threshing vs. Milling.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 10:36:23 am by Draco18s »

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2010, 05:28:30 pm »

need more proffessions really... for more control over the dwarves...
but there is some stupid stuff thats doubled.
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2010, 05:53:34 pm »

I think a lot of it is just superfluous in it's current incarnation. Soap-making is pretty useless right now, but not intended to be forever.

Other "bad" professions (fish-dissection?)...well, we don't really have a good understanding of how important these jobs are, within dwarf society, do we?

Considering Carp, Fish dissectors might be every bit as important to dwarfs as priests, or even fire fighters. Not important to us, ofcourse, but a very respectable profession for them.

It would be nice to know if it really was, but that's part of the experience of the game: to decide for yourself what has meaning, and what doesn't.

I for one rather like the dabbling skill level. It's quirky, and not terribly important, but it clearly separates who's got serious knowledge, and who's just playing around. I think it might become a little more vital once teaching other dwarfs comes in.

Skill levels, overall, could use a little updating, but I'd rather see them expanded than contracted. Certain high levels of skill might, for instance, give boosts to the overall skill of any dwarfs working in the same shop as the High Master, because of that one's great knowledge and insight, while other "skill" levels (such as a peasant achieving Legendary from an artifact mood, for instance) could instead be used to denote respect, personal confidence, and political position within their respective trades, but have little reflection on that dwarf's mastery of every single aspect of their profession, or ability to teach/help others.
For they would be your masters.

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2010, 06:22:12 pm »

I, for one, get irritated when I get immigrants with professions like:
  • potash maker
  • lye maker
  • milker
  • miller
  • thresher
  • fish dissector
  • fish cleaner
  • animal trainer
Et cetera. I usually just end up teaching them all to be something useful like engravers or masons or planters/growers, but then the useful skill ends up at the bottom of the list after their worthless profession and then a bunch of social skills which I have no use for them to have, as they are not my broker. It's mostly just annoying, I mean, is it really that much to ask that I get someone who isn't a glorified peasant?
Yes. Clearly a bug that ought to be fixed in the future, but exploit it in the meantime.

Aescula: *snerk*  Just thought of a picture I saw a long tome ago...
Darth Guy: A long, long tome ago, in a library far, far away?

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2010, 06:27:44 pm »

He didnt really get the point, it was that there are alot of uselss labors right now, even though soap is going to be important, it still doesent really encompass what the OP is trying to say.

Yes it did.

The OP was complaining that there are useless professions in DF. He responded by mentioning how those jobs may (and in some cases will) become more important in the future.

I'm pretty sure the labor menu is getting overhauled for the next version anyway, which takes care of half the problem.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==
Pages: [1] 2