Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Getting rid of bad professions  (Read 1883 times)

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
Re: Getting rid of bad professions
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2010, 06:39:05 pm »

I view those professions as encouragement to draft them into the military. If I have to let them go, I know they can atleast hypothetically find such jobs in the Mountainhome. 

I also make use, sometimes extensive use, of Fish Cleaner and Animal Trainer, and quite often find that I desperately need a thresher, to quickly make some plant fibre cloth for a mood.

Miller/Thresher might perhaps be combined.

The "milker" profession might better be expanded into some kind of "shepherd" profession, which would additionally deal with keeping your domestic animals safe and sound. Possibly merge animal care into that?

Same thing with fish dissection and small animal dissection, possibly also tanning. They could all fall under the aegis of Taxidermist.

Lye might concievably become more important when we get food preservation, as it's also used extensively for that. Lye making could also easily be combined with potash making, and even wood burning/charcoal making, since all three substances are derived from wood ash.

Combining certain tasks under the header of a single Profession would hopefully be done in a manner that still allowed control. Each Profession might allow for several concise skills to be built within it, each improving separately, at different and various levels, while still raising the overall experience of that dwarf.

I have to say that I don't think the game is necessarily going to give greater and greater degrees of direct control over our dwarfs, and on forever. I know more control is planned, with burrows and the like, and I'm very excited about that, but I suspect eventually a plateau for that will be reached, beyond which it will become more and more about your individual dwarfs and their personalities, quirks, and tastes.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 06:43:19 pm by SirHoneyBadger »
For they would be your masters.

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2010, 06:48:52 pm »

I view those professions as encouragement to draft them into the military. If I have to let them go, I know they can atleast hypothetically find such jobs in the Mountainhome.
Let them go? Like, send them back? How do I do that?

I also make use, sometimes extensive use, of Fish Cleaner and Animal Trainer, and quite often find that I desperately need a thresher, to quickly make some plant fibre cloth for a mood.
All my fishers die young, so I have little need for fish cleaners. Likewise, I very seldom get stray dogs with my immigrants, so I have little use for animal trainers or Kennels.

I agree, but I have never had a use for either of those professions, as plump helmets do not seem to require milling or threshing, and I haven't any spare growers to waste on less useful crop.

The "milker" profession might better be expanded into some kind of "shepherd" profession, which would additionally deal with keeping your domestic animals safe and sound. Possibly merge animal care into that?
Alternatively, possibly make cows and camels milkable?

Lye might concievably become more important when we get food preservation, as it's also used extensively for that. Lye making could also easily be combined with potash making, and even wood burning/charcoal making, since all three substances are derived from wood ash.
I have to admit, I have no idea what lye or potash is (or what, if anything, they are useful for), but wouldn't crushed Rock Salt be better for food preservation?[/quote]
Yes. Clearly a bug that ought to be fixed in the future, but exploit it in the meantime.

Aescula: *snerk*  Just thought of a picture I saw a long tome ago...
Darth Guy: A long, long tome ago, in a library far, far away?

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2010, 06:48:59 pm »

I don't agree with combining so many different labors.

Labors are supposed to represent separate types of tasks with slightly different skillsets.

Shoving wood into a furnace is not quite the same (at all) as leeching lye from it. Speaking of which, lye already will be more important in the next version, since soap will be.

Really, I think the issues are as follows:

• For some labors, skill level doesn't matter enough. Butchery is instantaneous, tasks at workshops never actually fail, there's no quality or any other output variation involved when it comes to things like smelting, lye-making, wood-burning, etc. This should obviously change in some way.
  • Browsing the skill/labor listings for a dwarf is kind of irritating. This might already be at least partially taken care of for the next version.
  • Immigrants have too few skills and at too low a level for it to matter. Combine this with point #1 and lyemakers essentially become peasants.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2010, 07:13:45 pm »

Let them go? Like, send them back? How do I do that?

All my fishers die young, so I have little need for fish cleaners. Likewise, I very seldom get stray dogs with my immigrants, so I have little use for animal trainers or Kennels.

I agree, but I have never had a use for either of those professions, as plump helmets do not seem to require milling or threshing, and I haven't any spare growers to waste on less useful crop.

Alternatively, possibly make cows and camels milkable?

I have to admit, I have no idea what lye or potash is (or what, if anything, they are useful for), but wouldn't crushed Rock Salt be better for food preservation?
[/quote]

Letting them go from the military is what I meant, sorry.

As for the rest, they're subject to the way you yourself personally play. Nothing wrong with that, but it isn't that helpful for the topic itself, since we all play in different ways. For instance, I always grow every crop I can get my hands on, and regularly bring dogs with me on embark.

G-Flex: It's not combining many different labours. They would each still remain distinct. They could, however, all fall under a single Profession header, which would hopefully cut down on confusion, and some of the other complaints offered here.

I think that step might also actually make it easier to accept new skills into the game, since you're just expanding on what a butcher, say, or a clothier, can already do, making those Professions more interesting and useful, rather than inflicting a bunch of "lacemakers" or "meat smokers" on us.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2010, 07:55:08 pm »

G-Flex: It's not combining many different labours. They would each still remain distinct. They could, however, all fall under a single Profession header, which would hopefully cut down on confusion, and some of the other complaints offered here.

We already have professions, although some could use being broken up more, I guess. And yeah, I already identified the problem of things not being grouped together or structured well.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2010, 07:56:28 pm »

I think you're right, G-Flex. Better structuring I think would be key here.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2010, 08:58:28 pm »

I for one rather like the dabbling skill level. It's quirky, and not terribly important, but it clearly separates who's got serious knowledge, and who's just playing around. I think it might become a little more vital once teaching other dwarfs comes in.

Being grabbed in the wrist by a wayward goblin and immediately wresting yourself free and fleeing shouldn't make you dabbling in anything. As is, it's just spam in your skill list that never gets cleared even if the dwarf never fights anything ever again.

It needs to do something. If nothing else, affect thoughts. Having done something once before might remove hesitations somewhat etc

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2010, 09:24:18 pm »

It's not perfect, that's for sure. From what I've read, though, the new version should impose skill rust. That may correct the problem here.
Pages: 1 [2]