Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: The Stephen King Discussion Thread [Spoilers abound]  (Read 8189 times)

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
Re: The Stephen King Discussion Thread [Spoilers abound]
« Reply #75 on: May 21, 2010, 11:18:24 am »

The only thing that annoyed me in the later books of the Dark Tower series was the many plot threads that simply got culled. For example,

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Do not doubt the might of the poisonous horse.

Okay, I was kinda disappointed too.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 21, 2010, 11:26:53 am »

Haven't read/seen Carrie, and though I've heard it's a good movie, the premise has never sold me. A girl gets psychic powers and uses them to kill everyone at her prom? I guess if I knew more than that I'd be more interested. And I don't know of Firestarter.
Firestarter is surprisingly similar to the summary you just gave. Only replace girl with young girl, everybody with scientists trying to harness her powers, and psychic powers with pyrokinetic powers that surpass the sun itself.

I have yet to watch the movie.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 21, 2010, 11:28:56 am »

Haven't read/seen Carrie, and though I've heard it's a good movie, the premise has never sold me. A girl gets psychic powers and uses them to kill everyone at her prom? I guess if I knew more than that I'd be more interested. And I don't know of Firestarter.
Firestarter is surprisingly similar to the summary you just gave. Only replace girl with young girl, everybody with scientists trying to harness her powers, and psychic powers with pyrokinetic powers that surpass the sun itself.

I have yet to watch the movie.

According to SCIENCE, she could crack the earth open with her powers. Alpha level psyker, I'm thinking. :P
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 21, 2010, 01:31:49 pm »

The only thing that annoyed me in the later books of the Dark Tower series was the many plot threads that simply got culled. For example,

Do not doubt the might of the poisonous horse.

Okay, I was kinda disappointed too.

Mordred serves the purpose of

So I guess that in the overall King Mythos, he's vitally important. But in a way that John Wilkes Booth was important to Lincoln's presidency.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 21, 2010, 02:23:01 pm »

There is that, but you'd expect so much more from the way he was played up.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 21, 2010, 03:09:19 pm »

The one thing I disliked about Under the Dome was that I had thought that the book was caused by

Instead, it was

Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 21, 2010, 03:17:11 pm »

Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 21, 2010, 04:09:38 pm »

To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Little

• Bay Watcher
  • IN SOVIET RUSSIA, LITTLE IS YOU!
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 21, 2010, 11:01:02 pm »

Blizzard is managed by dark sorcerers, and probably have enough money to bail-out the federal government.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 23, 2010, 06:24:19 am »

I started with The Dark Tower series. They were awesome, except the main enemies
I'd guess he just wanted to wrap it up and move on. Then I read The Stand. I liked The Stand, except for having "magic" involved. Why couldn't the Walking Dude have been just a power hungry demagogue like a Hitler 2.0 instead of a mystical someone who can kill with his mind? I suppose the mind reading is so there is a reason people who aren't especially evil but more cowardly would follow him wholeheartedly despite his evil ways, but why not just have them at gunpoint or otherwise under his power? It would have served the same purpose if he had been more normal with more guns and tricks and less magic. Maybe he would have had another biological weapon that triggered when he died, and one that he can use to execute people along with the guns. That way King wouldn't have had to resort to
while at the same time requiring the same
to wipe out the bio weapons he was carrying around. Also, he was pretty dumb to be

Also, I was severely disappointed in the end,
I bet a lot of people thought that was cool, but to me it was a super weak ending.

The scene that affected me most was the live execution's on television. That would have sucked big time.

Anyone ever seen the movie version of the stand? It seemed pretty terrible, so I had to turn it before I even got to see the Walking Dude.

EDIT: Yes, I know the Walking Dude is really
and that's why he has magic and how it all fits in with the Dark Tower. Does it ever explain what the hell he really is though? Is he a demon like in The Stand or is he just a guy who picked up some magic while serving the Crimson King, or are there more than one Randall Flagg causing trouble in different worlds?
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 06:36:35 am by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 23, 2010, 06:29:41 am »

I heard it was pretty good. I've seen about ten minutes of it, it looked okay.

Also, King has this obsession with the battle between Good and Evil, which is fair enough, he is a horror writer, and I think the Stand was his over-the-top moment involving them most Good and Evil things he could think of when he was still sorta finding his feet.

Doesn't change anything, I'm just trying to get inside his head.

EDIT: ^ In the Stand, he is basically Satan and I think the idea is that no matter what universe he's in, he's the absolute embodiment of evil.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 07:15:07 am by Jackrabbit »

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 23, 2010, 07:06:27 am »

Flagg makes a lot more sense if you've read Eyes of the Dragon.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 23, 2010, 11:18:06 am »

Yeah, King seems to have marked Flagg, The Gunslinger, and (to a degree) Pennywise as the three who will show up in some form in almost every story he writes. I personaly think that
No Gods, No Masters.

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 23, 2010, 11:51:46 am »

I really enjoyed the Dark Tower series, especially since after having read a few connected novels (Salem's Lot, The Stand, etc) I was able to catch all the references. I guess that some of the plot threads' and characters' abrupt/anticlimactic endings were due to the sheer size of the Dark Tower universe. The series was written off-and-on over a period of 22 years, so maybe he lost inspiration for the other lines/characters over time and felt he had to trim them out quickly to tie up loose ends.

Huesoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Like yeah dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 23, 2010, 02:21:01 pm »

Randall Flagg is:

BOTTLED MESSAGE BE AFLOAT
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7