Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: The Stephen King Discussion Thread [Spoilers abound]  (Read 8210 times)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: The Stephen King Discussion Thread [Spoilers abound]
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2010, 02:55:55 am »

It's funny, because I can't bring myself to finish a Lovecraft novel. I just... don't like it? I'm not sure what my aversion is. I can sure as hell respect what he's brought to horror, because how could you not?

Respect, Lovecraft. Respect.
Lovecraft's "horror" lacks a lot of horror. Personally I like him because he basically defined a lot of tropes that modern scifi uses along with having interesting ideas and situations. Both his problem and his defining characteristic is that he's very dry and scientific in his prose, describing things like a professor describing a captured specimen. Some like it, some don't. I'd suggest that you read Brian Lumley if you want something good in the same universe but with a more readable style. 

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2010, 03:30:25 am »

It's funny, because I can't bring myself to finish a Lovecraft novel. I just... don't like it? I'm not sure what my aversion is. I can sure as hell respect what he's brought to horror, because how could you not?

Respect, Lovecraft. Respect.
Lovecraft's "horror" lacks a lot of horror. Personally I like him because he basically defined a lot of tropes that modern scifi uses along with having interesting ideas and situations. Both his problem and his defining characteristic is that he's very dry and scientific in his prose, describing things like a professor describing a captured specimen. Some like it, some don't. I'd suggest that you read Brian Lumley if you want something good in the same universe but with a more readable style. 

Funnily enough, the whole "dry prose" thing is why I love everything from that era.

"Well, chap, today I invented a flying-machine!"
"Well!"
"Yes. Now, what shall we have for tea?"
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2010, 03:31:41 am »

Watercress sandwiches. It's always watercress sandwiches.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2010, 03:50:08 am »

Watercress sandwiches. It's always watercress sandwiches.
That sounds as appealing as eating a sandwhich made of clover trimmings stuck between two loaves of bread.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 03:55:15 am by Duke 2.0 »
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2010, 03:53:56 am »

It's the British. Why do you sound surprised?

Spoiler: disclamer (click to show/hide)

Vester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2010, 04:35:21 am »

It's the British. Why do you sound surprised?

Spoiler: disclamer (click to show/hide)

White cobbler on a half-stale rye loaf.

YES.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2010, 05:50:02 am »

I've read probably 5-10 King books. I liked most of them, although a few I got tired with his repetitive pacing and techniques, but I can still list The Shining as the only book that's actually scared me. I don't remember what room it was, but the one that Danny finds himself drawn to... when he finally goes in there, I actually had to put the book down for a day or so :P The movie was pretty terrible IMO, though admittedly I did read the book first. Not scary and didn't bother to explain the background behind anything, so I found it to just be another cheap wannabe horror movie.

I also really loved The Green Mile. Now that I think about it, I found the movie adaptation of that to be kind of slow and over-sentimental. Perhaps King's work just doesn't benefit from a cinema perspective.

Oh, and I rather enjoyed The Langoliers as well.

Huesoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Like yeah dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2010, 04:13:54 pm »

All the Dark Tower books and The Stand. He should hire ghost writers to write his endings because they are god awful.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

What about the one in Dandelo?
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 05:18:12 pm by Huesoo »
BOTTLED MESSAGE BE AFLOAT

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 18, 2010, 04:31:16 pm »

I liked The Stand's Deus Ex Machina. I mean, it's pretty appropriate that

redacted123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
-
« Reply #39 on: May 18, 2010, 05:46:01 pm »

-
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 10:52:48 am by Stany »

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 18, 2010, 05:56:43 pm »

I actually really enjoyed the ending of Dark Tower. People kept telling me 'the ending sucks the ending sucks the ending sucks'. Then I got to the end where he finally walks in the tower and I was like "That's just fine by me, I think it's great that he left it a mystery". Then I finished the prologue and got to the real ending and I was like "Hey, that's actually extremely clever, why do people dislike this?"

Does anyone else think Dandelo is IT? I thought it was very clear when I read it, but another person I know doesn't seem to agree.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Vester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 18, 2010, 07:33:28 pm »

I actually really enjoyed the ending of Dark Tower. People kept telling me 'the ending sucks the ending sucks the ending sucks'. Then I got to the end where he finally walks in the tower and I was like "That's just fine by me, I think it's great that he left it a mystery". Then I finished the prologue and got to the real ending and I was like "Hey, that's actually extremely clever, why do people dislike this?"

Does anyone else think Dandelo is IT? I thought it was very clear when I read it, but another person I know doesn't seem to agree.

I still think Mr. Monday / Master Malshun is IT, so Dandelo as IT is a distinct possibility.

I liked The Stand's Deus Ex Machina. I mean, it's pretty appropriate that

My personal favorite God appearance was in Desperation.

Huesoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Like yeah dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 19, 2010, 11:09:26 am »

The

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 19, 2010, 03:22:16 pm »

My ex-girlfriend and I watched IT in May during a party. Nobody had read the book beforehand. She didn't realize there were two sides to the disc. We sat there for an hour and a half being confused as to why we weren't getting any more flashbacks to their childhoods to explain what was going on.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Huesoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Like yeah dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 19, 2010, 03:27:05 pm »

My ex-girlfriend and I watched IT in May during a party. Nobody had read the book beforehand. She didn't realize there were two sides to the disc. We sat there for an hour and a half being confused as to why we weren't getting any more flashbacks to their childhoods to explain what was going on.

Oh god, that happenend to me. I was so pissed, when I sent it back to Family Video the chick pointed out that there was 2 sides.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7