Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: The Stephen King Discussion Thread [Spoilers abound]  (Read 8183 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: The Stephen King Discussion Thread [Spoilers abound]
« Reply #60 on: May 21, 2010, 12:57:02 am »

Oh hey, rails! *throws thread on them and pushes*

So I just found out that The Langoliers (the movie) is on Youtube, and after seeing the horrible special effects failure that are the CG'd monsters I am going to watch it with intent to laugh myself silly. If anyone wants to join me: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1KYwmmKskM

Plot alteration and fuzzy doom balls aside, I thought the movie adaption of The Langoliers was decent. As was the 7 fucking hours long movie of The Stand. They still had to cut a good deal out, but damn.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 21, 2010, 01:12:42 am »

The miniseries? I haven't seen that one yet.

So I just found out that The Langoliers (the movie) is on Youtube, and after seeing the horrible special effects failure that are the CG'd monsters I am going to watch it with intent to laugh myself silly. If anyone wants to join me: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1KYwmmKskM

Aww, but I liked the langoliers.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 21, 2010, 01:29:39 am »

Well, I loved the short story. Right now movie-wise they're just entering the airport. The movie's pretty evidently a product of the 90s, but overall I'm enjoying it save for the five minute stretches of people repeating "What's going on here?" The inhumane amounts of earnestness Dinah has is a bit silly though. The intent to laugh is mostly for the langoliers, which haven't appeared in the movie yet.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 21, 2010, 01:33:26 am »

Dinah's earnest?

She's supposed to be serene! And vaguely creepy!

The toaster scene should come out funny, though.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 21, 2010, 02:35:38 am »

Toomey is such a ham :P Actually, most of these actors are being pretty hammy. Just past the toaster bit, getting a bit impatient to finally see the titular clock roaches.

Also, relevant link: "The collected work of Stephen King, ultra-condensed."
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 02:43:23 am by Retro »

Vester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 21, 2010, 03:37:19 am »

That sums up almost every one of his books.

Although it could be fixed:

"It was a nice day...................... AND THEN FLAGG CAME!"

"It was a nice day...................... AND THEN AN EVIL CLOWN CAME!"

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 21, 2010, 03:45:00 am »

"It was a nice day...................... AND THEN AN OLD BLACK JANITOR CAME!"
 "It was a nice day...................... AND THEN SLEEP WENT AWAY!"
 "It was a nice day...................... AND THEN THE GOVERNMENT CAME FOR YOUR DAUGHTER!"
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 21, 2010, 04:23:09 am »

Just finished watching "It was a nice day......................... AND THEN YOU ARE ON PLANE WHERE ARE EVERYONE." Ending was absurdly cheesy, but still had a good time watching it. Of the King-adapted movies I've seen, I rank it second behind The Green Mile. Though to my knowledge I've only seen three.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 21, 2010, 05:27:31 am »

Have you seen The Shawshank Redemption, The Shining, Carrie, or Firestarter?

Shawshank is still the absolute best, according to everyone I've heard about it from, but I haven't seen it myself.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 21, 2010, 05:49:39 am »

Forgot about Shawshank Redemption! Yeah, it's a fabulous movie. Thoroughly enjoyable. That'd make my King films list... Shawshank, Green Mile, Langoliers, Shining. But Shawshank's the only one I'd watch twice. The Shining movie I thought was just silly because as horror movies almost always do, they completely ignore any explanation for anything. Plus I liked the ending of the novel a lot more. Plus a whole bunch of other things, most notably casting. I should probably stop before I blather on; I'm a bit of a cinemaphile :\

Haven't read/seen Carrie, and though I've heard it's a good movie, the premise has never sold me. A girl gets psychic powers and uses them to kill everyone at her prom? I guess if I knew more than that I'd be more interested. And I don't know of Firestarter.

Thoughts on Dreamcatcher? I thought it declined pretty early after the cabin in the woods stuff, but the assweasel stuff got it off to a good start.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 21, 2010, 06:49:04 am »

The one thing I disliked about Under the Dome was that I had thought that the book was caused by

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Instead, it was
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 21, 2010, 08:44:29 am »

Have you seen The Shawshank Redemption, The Shining, Carrie, or Firestarter?

Shawshank is still the absolute best, according to everyone I've heard about it from, but I haven't seen it myself.

I finished that movie grinning till I thought my face would hurt and telling everyone to watch it.

I have never been brought to that state by a movie before. It's brilliant.

Huesoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Like yeah dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 21, 2010, 10:29:20 am »

Anybody else annoyed about:

BOTTLED MESSAGE BE AFLOAT

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 21, 2010, 10:34:01 am »

The only thing that annoyed me in the later books of the Dark Tower series was the many plot threads that simply got culled. For example,

On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Huesoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Like yeah dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 21, 2010, 10:53:22 am »

Oh god yes, Mordred was badass and a more interesting character than jake.
BOTTLED MESSAGE BE AFLOAT
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7