Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: The Stephen King Discussion Thread [Spoilers abound]  (Read 8188 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: The Stephen King Discussion Thread [Spoilers abound]
« Reply #45 on: May 19, 2010, 10:57:01 pm »

Lovecraft uses horror that you have to think at for a bit untill your brain gives in and lets you see the horror. Lovecraft lived at a time where the true vastness of our universe was first being looked at. Lovecraft derived his horror from the idea that we don't matter. Everything we have done here on our precious Earth, ever? Inconsequntial. Worthless. Meaningless. We are only kept from madness from our own prideful illusions. We are weak, and could never compeate with something so above us it could get to Earth. We would be destroyed, and the destroyer wouldn't even care or know.

It's worth noting that Stephen King loved Lovecraft works, and claims them as his prime motivator to write.

It is also worth noting that Lovecraft loved cats: http://www.scribd.com/doc/8238288/HPLovecraft-Cats-and-Dogs
The man gets props for that alone.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 20, 2010, 07:55:22 am »

+1 props for loving cats, -74 for being a crazy racist.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 20, 2010, 07:58:29 am »

It was the 20s, it was okay back there.

Racism was like the old tolerant amirite.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 20, 2010, 08:12:36 am »

For a second there I was like

"CORRECT SPELLING!! AND, ARMOK HAS AN EX-GIRLFRIEND!?"

And then, "Oh, never mind, Grakelin's just wearing his face."

He was crazy racist, rather than just regular racist. When you're regular racist, you're a white guy who thinks the other races are beneath him. When you're crazy racist, you express this belief by writing cosmic horror stories, and also by ranting about it to your jewish wife.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 20, 2010, 11:58:18 am »

It could be that Lovecraft was more of a true misanthrope than a racist. The guy realy seemed to just hate everyone. You do have to consider that he spent his younger years spewing antsemitic comments, and then proptly married a jew.  In The Mountains Of Madness Lovecraft halfway attempts to create sympathy for the Elder Things due to the rebellion of the slaves they created, the Shaggoth. But then both races attempt to murderize the humans, and be evil mysterious motive wise. Lovecraft might have wanted to be a racist so his racist friends would think he was cool, but the guy just didn't seem like he fully belived some of the things he wrote.

My personal theory: Lovecraft was inconsistant about these things because he had enough insight to know he could fuck with future generations.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 07:18:45 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 20, 2010, 06:42:56 pm »

The bad guy in Schindler's List loved a Jew, too.
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 20, 2010, 07:05:43 pm »

The bad guy in Schindler's List loved a Jew, too.
You mean the guy with the rifle? I don't think sleeping with a person is the same as loving them, particularly if their life is in your hands and you have few qualms about killing.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 20, 2010, 07:29:25 pm »

You must have missed the deeper layers of that movie.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 20, 2010, 07:38:41 pm »

You must have missed the obvious. This statement doesn't really have a point as I didn't point out any evidence, simply accused you of not understanding.

Not to mention the ultimate decision of that guy to continue killing makes me think any contradictory message was somewhat lost.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 20, 2010, 07:42:41 pm »

Ralph Fienne's character falls in love with his maid, leading him into self-loathing at himself for being weak enough to have feelings for Jewish scum. He still believes that Jewish people are beneath him, despite his feelings for his maid. This culminates in the scene where he throws her around the cellar. He, of course, continues murdering Jews because of his extreme faith in his ideology. Go watch the movie again. Come back with some valid points instead of admitting to trolling next time, kthxbai.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 20, 2010, 11:28:09 pm »

What is it with you and throwing that word around? Duke is not and probably won't ever be a troll. Chill.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 20, 2010, 11:29:32 pm »

You must have missed the obvious. This statement doesn't really have a point as I didn't point out any evidence, simply accused you of not understanding.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 20, 2010, 11:32:43 pm »

I will admit I did reply with hostility. And I do hope that statement was made on reflection of my posts and not my record, as I am just as susceptible to getting riled up as anybody else. But I really don't think pointing out why your post came off as unhelpful could be considered trolling.

I will admit it has been like four years since I've watched the movie and that particular meaning may have gone over my head or simply escaped my memories, but the points were all as valid as I remembered them.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 20, 2010, 11:35:35 pm »

It was made on the assumption that troll = intentionally trying to piss someone off. I didn't see that.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 21, 2010, 12:10:15 am »

Oh hey, rails! *throws thread on them and pushes*

So I just found out that The Langoliers (the movie) is on Youtube, and after seeing the horrible special effects failure that are the CG'd monsters I am going to watch it with intent to laugh myself silly. If anyone wants to join me: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1KYwmmKskM
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7