Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Cycloneaxes - A port town [community]  (Read 4273 times)

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cycloneaxes - A port town [community]
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2010, 03:09:54 am »

I'll take a dwarf, :) seems interesting.

Name: Harvi
Profession: fisherdwarf, with some carpentry on the side.(or vice versa if the migrant waves give you such)
The research assistant couldn't experiment with plants because he hadn't botany
Don't expect a bonsai tree to grow the miniature planting it.
Trust your calculator. It's something to count on.
Pencils could be made with erasers at both ends, but what would be the point?

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
  • Khorne Flakes: Crunchy & Delicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2010, 03:28:11 am »

fisherdwarf

Thank god. Finally, a dwarf that can actually make food!
Yikes, the Orcs have a nasty language.  Traditional foreplay would be right out for them; how would they ever "say my name" for one another?  No wonder Ocrs are always so bloodthirsty and violent, they're getting sub-par action.

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2010, 04:10:02 am »

Alright, here is the story of the dwarfs journey, like I promised
-------
Nine months.
They had been on the sea-floater for nine months. Storms riddled our journey constantly. We, being dwarves, were never used to storms at sea. There were many times we feared for our lives. As we tried to grip onto anything that was nailed down while the waves violently knocked us about. Often times our stomachs rejected what was in them and we were forced to endure the burning sensation in our throats as our food was flung out of our bodies.

When we finally arrived at the human port, and unloaded our supplies onto the dock, the sounds and smells coming from the nearby marketplace assaulted our weakened senses, and our breakfasts were hurled into the water.

While we recovering from our final vomitting, a human with a doubtful look on his face came walking towards us.
He said to us, "Welcome to our town, friendly dwarves. The mayor has decided to supply you with a wagon and horses, to make your travels easier. If you would please follow me to it."

We grabbed all of our supplies and walked a little ways to the wagon. It didn't look very well built, but it was of human craftsmanship, so that was to be expected.

"In the wagon you will find a detailed map of the surrounding area and it has the site your king selected marked on it. Me and a few others will come to trade with you in two summers. Peace be with you."

I turned to the others and said "Alright, let's pack this stuff up into the wagon and head off, shall we?"
All the other dwarves started working on it, but Wineslasher muttered something about packing his boot up my arse before he got to work.
When we were all finished, I hopped up front, grabbed the reigns, and we headed off.

About 3 days out, we saw the most bizzare creature. It was about 4 dwarfs tall and probably 8 dwarfs lined head to toe long. The beast had a gray, thick hide, and huge, white, curved and pointed... things... potruding from it's face. At first it just stared at us while our wagon was passing by, but then, all of a sudden it charged straight at us. It made a great sound like sounded like the trumpets of the ancients. It was only 30 yards away when Hilbo fired his crossbow and struck it straight in the eye. It shook it's head while it was running, causing it to hit a great tree and set it off balance. The thing then tripped over a log and crashed to the ground. I had whipped the reigns hard enough to cause the horses to run at faster a pace then I ever knew a horse could pull a wagon.
We checked the map again, and it said Beware of Ellifantz.
Yikes, the Orcs have a nasty language.  Traditional foreplay would be right out for them; how would they ever "say my name" for one another?  No wonder Ocrs are always so bloodthirsty and violent, they're getting sub-par action.

hillburra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2010, 04:43:27 am »

As if let macaques steal my sweet hunting gear, especially my nordic gold crossbow that apparently slays Ellifantz :(

I demand that I be allowed to fashion myself a new bow from the bones of the macaque that was killed. Or whatever other material is available but equally filled with revengeful intent.
'b' is different than 'x' and a Bed doesn't hold back magma as well as a Floodgate no matter how fast you type.

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2010, 04:46:34 am »

I demand that I be allowed to fashion myself a new bow from the bones of the macaque that was killed. Or whatever other material is available but equally filled with revengeful intent.

Yeah, I was pretty pissed when they made off with your shit, but everyone was drinking/eating and my guy was only able to get up there when the last one was getting away, and he didn't have anything.

Incidentally, you have already made your own turtle bone crossbow, and 250 wooden bolts. I'll give more informationin the next update, which will be sometime on saturday most likely.

Edit: I have all the update material right now, but I am too tired to write anything.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 05:23:03 am by Beanchubbs »

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2010, 06:31:28 am »

Whoa, this filled in fast.
I want a dwarf too. Did Humerus survive the last fort?
If no, I'll take a clothesmaker. Dyed cloth only, though. He/she should be picky.

When you can get one, tell me the gender, I'll make up the name.
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2010, 02:10:11 pm »

Did Humerus survive the last fort?

Not quite. Everyone got killed when the orcs broke through. I would have continued on if there was at least one person, but everyone died.

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2010, 03:04:21 pm »

Second update, this one should be much better.
--------
While the dwarven merchants rode off to the north with the last of our trade goods for only some food and booze, I realized something. The infamous elves would probably come soon. We needed to get a military started, and fast. The only problem was that Wineslasher and Hilbo were the only ones with prior weapons training, but Wineslasher was the farmer, and he was getting quite skilled at farming. We could not sparte him, but Hilbo was just on masonry and crafting duties, but I could easily take that on along with my brewing and treecutting on the side. I brought Hilbo into my office one day, so we could talk about this.
"Hilbo, no offense, but what you are doing right now can easily be done by any other dwarf. We're going to need you for defense if we ever plan to survive. You're quite good with a crossbow, I gather, but seeing as the monkeys took yours, you're going to have to make your own, and some bolts. Grab some bones and extra wood and get going on it. The sooner you are ready for combat, the sooner we don't have to worry about more monkeys and thieves coming in and stealing what we've worked hard to make."
A hint of a smile crossed his face as he nodded and walked out of my office. I went down to make some crafts for the next traders, and by the time I came to check on his progress, he already had a turle bone crossbow, and 10 bundles of bolts ready.
I smiled at him, gave him a thumbs up, and went back down to make some booze (despite being a dwarf, I was not very good at it. At least it was drinkable).

The rest of us were a little relieve, knowing that nothing would get past our gates without at least a little warning, and so we were able to go about life with that weight off of our chests.

It was winter now, and we could all feel it. With the cold sea breeze coming from the east, and the snow storms we could see in the west, our first winter as a fort would be coming soon.
And judging by the yells of Hilbo, our first winter as a fort wasn't going to be spent alone.
I went above ground to the archer tower he was in (which we made in late autumn) and stood next to him. There were dwarves coming... but from the west?
Hilbo said to me while looking straight at them, "They must be refugees from the mountainhalls here."
The first one in, who seemed to be a cook judging by his clothing, came running in, out of breath and panting.
"What is it? What are you dwarves doing here?"
He spoke up while he was bending over with his hands on his knees, trying to catch his breath
"Orcs.... orcs raided the mountainhalls... the gaurds held them off... a slaver party is following us though. Please, kind dwarf... let us stay here!"
How could I deny them? All they had with them was the clothes on the back, and most of that was torn up.
"Alright, Ups, Waga! Dig out some rooms for these dwarves. Stas, build some doors."
As I went to build the beds, I watched them go to the dining hall.
The cook introduced himself as sausage. There was a mason who called himself Zades, a mechanic named Derm, a fisher (thank the gods! a fisher!) named Harvi, and a few others who denied to tell me their names or proffessions. One I noticed must have been a drafted recruit to the military, judging by his equipment.

Sure enough, 3 weeks later, the orc slaver party came charging from the west, with their whips ready and snarls on their ever-ugly faces.

We were able to raise both of the bridges before they got in (luckily). Hilbo then grabbed his crossbow, and a bolt from his crossbow. He walked up onto the walls slowly, took aim, loosed the first bolt, and shot their leader straight through the stomach. He then dropped 8 more in quick succession.

At the sight of such a devastating loss, the rest of the orcs broke and fled.

Still standing on the walls, with a triumphant grin on his face, was Hilbo, the hero

Now we have enough steel weapons and armor that we can't use to buy things we can use from the traders that should be coming in half a year.

However, the death of the orcs brought on the attention of the human's sea god, and we were pelted by the rain for days.

I knew that eventually, Hilbo alone could not take the orc sieges, so I passed on Wineslasher's farming and mechanic duties to others and set him to train with the wrestler, who still hadn't told me his name.

In a few months, they were great wrestlers, and as soon as we get weapons we can use, I will assign them to take them.

We have started the port, but seeing as we want it to look nice, we are using only blocks, which Zades and one other mason are making constantly, so it is going pretty slow.
---------
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
That's our fort so far, with the beginning of the port marked. It's not much, but at least it's a start.
The dwarfs remaining right now are:
Mason - female
Furnace Operator - female
Metal crafter, who is on farming duties - female
Lye maker on fish cleaning duties - female
Elite wrestler - male
And a peasant - male

Edit: Also, sorry about the orcs looking like blobs, I'm using the Mike Mayday graphics, and that's how they turned out. I would make my own images for them, but I do not know how.

Edit2: The port will also be much larger than just that section. There will be at least two 9 tile wide walkways, and I will make some extra stuff too.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 03:08:43 pm by Beanchubbs »

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2010, 03:44:00 pm »

When you can get one, tell me the gender, I'll make up the name.

I got a male.

Stas

• Bay Watcher
  • Procrastination
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2010, 04:47:44 pm »

Do i have an office? Oh and cool story.

No I'm not psychic. I just know that this is dwarf fortress. and the most stupidly awesome and inexplicable thing is probably going to be the first thing to happen.

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2010, 05:18:08 pm »

3rd update, this one was filled with good fortune.
-------
As spring rolled around, the refugees started getting anxious. Many of them were saying things about like, "Arrows from the shadows". They wouldn't quite say what they were talking about, fearing that if they said it, they would bring whatever it is upon us, but we were all assuming it was elves. I posted Hilbo on watch and had Wineslasher and his partner ready at all times.
Speaking of those two, their hand-to-hand fighting techniques were unrivaled.

I feared for Hilbo's life, even just one elven arrow could tear threw his throat and kill him.
By the time he sounded the alarm, two of the elves made it into the depot room, but only one got past that before we raised the bridges.

I couldn't watch as he exchanged fire with the elves from his perch. Wineslasher went up and killed the elf that got past, and by the time the yellings ceased, only Hilbo and Wineslasher were left.

The first thing that came to my mind when the elves were dead was how much value we could get out of their armor and weapons. I was turning into my father more and more, greedy and cold.

However, when the humans arrived, the elf clothing fetched a very nice price.What we couldn't buy with those, we bought with one orc chainmail chest piece, and we bought quite a lot. Booze, food, some cloth, wood, a few ropes, and, best of all, a Golden Cutlass, adorned with rings of superiorly crafted Giant Cactus wood, for Wineslasher. This was the first time I had something to say to him and he didn't have a jackass comment to say back.
He looked like a dwarf child that had just gotten a legendary dining room all to himself. He grabbed it in his hand, dropped his shield, and started swinging it around, looking like a true pirate.

After the trading with the humans, Hilbo shouted down from his tower.
"Bean, Orcs, coming from the South, North, and East! Three Squads!"
"We'll bring 'em in close, then you pick them off."

And that is exactly what we did. The death of 2 squads sent the third one running. A shame too, their squad leader was a local orcish leader, judging by his armament.
Oh well, 2 squads worth of armor and weapons is still 2 squads worth of armor and weapons.

The death of the orc siege brought migrants to our fort. 21 migrants to be exact. The mountainhomes of the other dwarf civilizations must be  a very bad place to live.

Along the lines of mountainhomes, I wonder how our sea-floaters are coming along. The traders from autumn said the engineers have only been able to make them sink, not float. Maybe they'll start using wood to make them eventually.
---------
I decided that we will have a very limited forging industry. We can get our weapons from orc sieges and traders, and we can trade orc armor for dwarf armor. There aren't many trees on this map, and without magma, having a forging industry would be a net loss, considering how much other things we could make with the little wood we have. Besides, we have yet to get a good armorer or weaponsmith.

@DwarfofDefeat - Wineslasher can't use a shield with a cutlass, but I assume you'd prefer the cutlass.

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2010, 05:19:07 pm »

Do i have an office?

Yeah, you've had an office since mid-spring of the first year. I'm not sure if I mentioned that though, sorry.

Stas

• Bay Watcher
  • Procrastination
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2010, 05:45:22 pm »

YES!!!YEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSS!!!! VICTORY IS SOON TO BE MINE!!!!!

Can we get some screen shots of the fortress ( above and under ground) Please.

No I'm not psychic. I just know that this is dwarf fortress. and the most stupidly awesome and inexplicable thing is probably going to be the first thing to happen.

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2010, 05:46:21 pm »

Yeah, sure, give me a second.

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2010, 06:08:06 pm »

Main part of the fort

Fortifications, first one is above the depot, second one is in the tower

This is the temporary living hall. I'm building a permanent residential area 13 z-levels down because the dwarves get bad thoughts from noise, and these will all be turned into part of the dining hall and some offices I think.

This is the afore mentioned permanent residential area plans

Now in 3D

Defenses above the depot

This is the archer tower, those who read Bearsteels will recognize this.

This is the beginning of the port, and it's still under construction

This is the whole part of the aboveground stuff in 3D
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6