Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Cycloneaxes - A port town [community]  (Read 4268 times)

Stas

• Bay Watcher
  • Procrastination
    • View Profile
Re: Cycloneaxes - A port town [community]
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2010, 06:12:07 pm »

Really cool.

No I'm not psychic. I just know that this is dwarf fortress. and the most stupidly awesome and inexplicable thing is probably going to be the first thing to happen.

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
  • Khorne Flakes: Crunchy & Delicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2010, 06:15:58 pm »

I plan on expanding everything quite significantly. The port is only going slow because I'm limiting myself to using only blocks for it, and I'm trying to color-coordinate so it doesn't look retarded. I also plan on moving everything aboveground eventually, so it looks more like a human port. In the end (if I ever make it to the end), it should be pretty friggin sweet, unless all my plans fail.
Yikes, the Orcs have a nasty language.  Traditional foreplay would be right out for them; how would they ever "say my name" for one another?  No wonder Ocrs are always so bloodthirsty and violent, they're getting sub-par action.

Zades

• Bay Watcher
  • Do flying babies do blunt or gore damage?
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2010, 08:26:01 pm »

Aw yeah. Where would you guys be without my BLOCKS?

Nice story so far, Hilbo is a true hero dwarf.

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2010, 08:29:16 pm »

Yeah, you and some other dwarf were orignally peasants, but I made a masons workshop for each of you and when you aren't building part of the port, you are making blocks for it. I think you both are expert masons now, but I'm not 100% sure.

Indeed, Hilbo is a hero. Kind of a spoiler, but not that big of a deal, but the bowyer had a possession, and I was like "Ooohhh yeah, Hilbo's getting a demonic crossbow." No, that's not how it works out.

The guy made a blowgun. I was so pissed.
Yikes, the Orcs have a nasty language.  Traditional foreplay would be right out for them; how would they ever "say my name" for one another?  No wonder Ocrs are always so bloodthirsty and violent, they're getting sub-par action.

Stas

• Bay Watcher
  • Procrastination
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2010, 10:22:27 pm »

ROFL!  Oh well.... Hey Can my guy be a greedy, thieving, calculating bastard?

No I'm not psychic. I just know that this is dwarf fortress. and the most stupidly awesome and inexplicable thing is probably going to be the first thing to happen.

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2010, 10:34:10 pm »

After the humans left and we brought all our goods inside, for a month or two, life was peaceful. We all went about our daily work - which consisted mostly of making furniture for the new residential area, farming, fishing, and butchering - Wineslasher and Cerol, the other champion, sparred and Hilbo kept watch.
It was like this until sometime in early autumn Hilbo sounded the alarms that meant the orcs were here. We just did the same thing as the last orc siege, draw them in close and pick them off. However, there were 3 times as many orcs this time, so we let one of their squads through the depot so Wineslasher and Cerol could get in on the action. After the orcs realized that going into the fortress meant a gruesome death, and staying outside would eventually get a bolt in your head, they broke and ran.
Right as the last one was dissappearing into the forest, the bowyer started screaming and babbling in the language of the demons of old. It could only mean one thing. He was possessed and the demon would not leave him until it used his body as a medium for making whatever it had the need to make. We watched as he contortedly walked outside, he hissed at the light and squinted his eyes, but kept going. Once he got the the bowyers workshop, he marked it as his, grabbed some materials and started working.
I kept a close eye on him, because demonic possessions that fail cause the owners soul to be sent to hades and be tortured forever, leaving a lifeless husk above ground.

Luckily, the demon made what he wanted, and what he wanted was a.... blowgun?

I was rather dissappointed, I was hoping for a weapon that one of the champions could use.

We were hoping the dwarves would come to trade, but it was already moving into winter, and we had seen neither hide nor hair of them. They must've heard of the orc siege and not wanted to journey here in the dangerous state we were in.

It was the middle of winter, and I was going outside to check on Hilbo. I pulled my cloak closer to myself and walked over to the base of the tower. As I got there something hit me. This port needed to be made. What if the dwarves build sea-floaters before we are done? The king would be disappointed and I would probably be exiled...
Before I could do anymore worrying, Hilbo called from the tower, "More Orcs! Cap'n, Cerol, get ready! When will these bastards ever learn their lesson?"
Hil was right about them needing to learn, we had them retreating before the week was up.

It is now the 31st of Obsidian. Bi-annual inspection time. Before going down, I noticed Harvi still fishing. What was it... 4 months? 4 months straight of doing nothing but fishing, that guy's got some dedication. The first thing was the farms and bone stockpile. Waga and Ups had done a good job of expanding both. The planter, who seems to be a shut in, was planting seeds. sausage the cook was finishing up making the 30 lavish meals I ordered. We needed barrel space for booze and with his cooking skills, we were able to do that and then some. Down to the next level, the temporary living halls. 100killer, who is now a legendary engraver (he smoothed and engraved every single tile that was smoothed or engraved on his own), was putting the final touches on a masterpiece on the wall in front of the tables. He didn't really talk much, either that, or he didn't really talk all that much to me. Across the hall, Wineslasher and Cerol were sparring, testing eachothers skills. I also noticed the other two dwarves that I drafted sparring two. They were new to the fort, so I hadn't learned their names yet. In the next level, Zades and the other mason were churning out some more blocks. They seemed rather tired of it, but they'd have to get used to it. We've already used 234 blocks, and still have a long way to go. Every once in a while I saw one of them taking a break, and normally I would order the dwarf to get back to work, but they work too hard to never stop working.
And the final stop was the new residential area. Waga and ups dug it out a lot faster than I expected they would, and 100killer was taking a break from smoothing these halls to engrave the dining hall. Those three had set up this area far faster than I would have ever expected.

We had made some nice progress, but we were going too slow. We needed to get the port done.
---------
Can't really think of a footer for this update, this'll have to do.

Edit: Nevermind, I'm sorry for the lack of pictures.

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2010, 10:35:29 pm »

ROFL!  Oh well.... Hey Can my guy be a greedy, thieving, calculating bastard?

Of course, I like it when you guys give me background or personality for your dwarves, it makes story writing easier.

100killer9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2010, 11:37:08 pm »

Well, considering I'm not actually talkative, make my guy a mute, or else someone who has a problem connecting to others (basically autistic). He only expresses himself through his art. He hates violence and tries to use work to express his distaste for it all. Of course, he'll tolerate violence to live against orcs, and is not too hating of violence towards elves. But he'd rather they be killed more painlessly.
Just out of curiosity, what DOES Dwarf Fortress smell like?
Death, Booze, and Insanity.
Ladders are absolutely essential for one reason and one reason only:

Welcome, friends to Slaves to Armok III: Snakes and Ladders.

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2010, 11:39:23 pm »

Well, considering I'm not actually talkative, make my guy a mute, or else someone who has a problem connecting to others (basically autistic). He only expresses himself through his art. He hates violence and tries to use work to express his distaste for it all. Of course, he'll tolerate violence to live against orcs, and is not too hating of violence towards elves. But he'd rather they be killed more painlessly.
Good, that's actually kind of what I thought he was like in my head at first, but then I remembered your character in Bearsteels, so I didn't want to assume anything.

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2010, 01:28:45 am »

The beginning of the spring brought a siege of orcs.
We left them alive for a little while, so the elves would be scared off. I had Hilbo pick off the leaders of the squads, then let the others deal with the rest. By this time we had to more champions, Reg and Sodel. After we slaughtered the orcs once again, the rest of the spring went by rather uneventful. I tried to talk to some of the doors who I at least knew the names of. The first one I would try was 100killer. He was one of the founders after all.
Now, I had just thought he was an un-social shut it, so while I was trying talking to him, Derm the mechanic just stared at me with a horrified look. I asked him what was wrong and he merely said to me in a quiet voice, "That man has no tongue you sick bastard! It was cut off for punishment of talking too much." I felt my face go pale and I thought Ohhhhh shiiiiittt.

With that ending my attempt to socialize with everyone, we all just went about the rest of our lives, once again. Some time in early summer, Waga the miner, started acting similar to the bowyer. The demons seemed to infest the very walls we lived in.

After a few days, he emerged from the masons workshop with a granite table of legendary quality.

Soon after the demon left his body, two of our dwarves got married! The Milker and the Gem Setter that came with the last migrant wave decided to tie the knot.

After a while, the human caravan arrived with the goods we requested and some extra stuff. It wasn't until then that I realized how much all of the orcish armor we had was worth. In just one bin, we had over 30,000 dwarfbucks worth of armor, and we had 7 bins! We bought all of their food and drink, some wood, and some cloth, with just one bin, and we gave them 15,000 bucks in profit. They'll definately be back with some more friends next year.

3 weeks after the caravan left, another couple got married! This time it was Olon (CognitiveDissonance's dwarf), the clothier, and Udib the hunter. Udib must have caught the bouquet from the last marriage.

We also increased the size of the port a little, but it is still going slow. I put another dwarf on block making duty. A rather uneventful half of a year, but what can a dwarf do?
-------
The orc sieges are getting really easy now that I have 5 champions. They need to bring more squads. There are plenty of dwarfs up for grabs right now. I'm going to spread the updates out farther now, and I will be pushing the construction of the port. Once that's done, I can start working on some other stuff.

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2010, 01:42:15 am »

If anyone has an idea or seggestion for the fort, feel free to post them.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2010, 01:47:37 am »

soap tower
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2010, 01:48:30 am »

Nice, I might just try to do that if everything else shapes up nice.

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2010, 02:59:34 am »

I would like a glass hut, suspended on a pier out over the ocean for my fisherdwarf. :) with a sloping roof, and lay pewter statues at each corner of the roof.

^.^
The research assistant couldn't experiment with plants because he hadn't botany
Don't expect a bonsai tree to grow the miniature planting it.
Trust your calculator. It's something to count on.
Pencils could be made with erasers at both ends, but what would be the point?

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 10, 2010, 03:22:06 am »

I would like a glass hut, suspended on a pier out over the ocean for my fisherdwarf. :) with a sloping roof, and lay pewter statues at each corner of the roof.

^.^

I don't know about the pewter statues, but I could manage everything else eventually. I'm almost half way done with the main port, then I'll start the extra stuff.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6