Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Cycloneaxes - A port town [community]  (Read 4260 times)

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
  • Khorne Flakes: Crunchy & Delicious
    • View Profile
Cycloneaxes - A port town [community]
« on: January 08, 2010, 04:23:39 am »

With the disasterous result of Bearsteels, I will be attempting a new community fort.
----------
Year 18 A.S. (after steel was found) of the Momentous Dimensions

Being born and raised in one of the only trader families in all of the Axe of Corridors was not very beneficial. We were centered in the only mountains of this large island, with only the orcs as neighbours. Once a year the Humans came from the mainland on their sea-floaters to trade with us, and this was the only reason I am not a jobless peasant. For 3 decades I had done nothing with my life except trade stone trinkets and goods for whatever useful things the humans had to offer. Although it did give me exclusive stories of the mainland. There were apparently 2 other dwarven civilizations that called the mainland their home, but they were both on the brink of destruction. One from the hands of the goblins and orcs, which had recently allied with eachother, and the other by the hands of the elves.

Elves. From what I've heard of them, they were just cruel and evil corpse eating scum that attacked anything that was even semi-sentient.

I needed something, anything really, that would allow me to bring pride and honor to my family name. And every year these elves were becoming a better excuse for that. After every summer I met with King Logem and told him the news that I had heard from the humans.

This year he said something I had not expected.
  "Have the humans left on their sea-floaters yet?"
  "No, sir... Why?"
  "Good, I have chosen you to lead six others in an expedition to the main land. You will establish a port along the shores. Our engineers have started building sea-floaters so we do not need to rely on the humans for goods from the mainland. There we will steadily send more of our dwarves to you so we may eventually have a nice port town going from which we can trade with other humans and ourselves. Here is a map of the mainland and where you will be going. I have already informed the humans diplomat that you are coming, and you will be bringing some supplies with you, so there will be no problems there. Be wary though, as you know, orcs and elves infest those lands, and it is not a safe place for dwarves at all. You will be the one to change that. Good day, and travel safe."

With that he stood up from his *granite chair* and walked out of the room.

Finally!, I thought to myself, A chance to prove that my family is not useless! Who will I take with me.....

--------
And there is the flavor text
I do not have an exact embark site picked out yet, but expect a shore, trees, and an aquifer.

This is where our dwarf civ is
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And this is the general area that our embark will be. Elfs are automatically hostile against us, and there are plenty of orcs.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Dwarfs (@ means this person has a dwarf):
1. Beanchubbs - Trader/Admin@
2. Hilbo - Hunter@
3. 100killer9 - Engraver/Glassmaker@
4. Waga - Miner@
5. Wineslasher - Swordsdwarf/Mechanic@
6. Ups - Miner@
7. Stas - Bookeeper/Admin@

8. sausage - Cook/Hunter@
9. Zades - Mason@
10. Derm - Carpenter/Mechanic@
11. Harvi - Fisher/Carpenter@
12. Unnamed - Clothesmaker/Dyer@

13. Orange - cook

Player building requests:
Soap tower - getting a soap making industry started
Glass hut with 4 pewter statues - not started, still looking for ores to make pewter
Port 'control tower' - not started, will start once main port is done
Underground room with 1 statue of each random rock - Has one statue, will focus on it more later
Monopolized weapon industry - won't get started for a while because there is no magma and trees are limited
Lighthouse - not started, will start once port 'control tower' is done
Engraved Museum - not started, will start when the digging for other projects is done.
Sub-aquatic dining hall with waterfall - not started
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 05:07:16 pm by Beanchubbs »
Yikes, the Orcs have a nasty language.  Traditional foreplay would be right out for them; how would they ever "say my name" for one another?  No wonder Ocrs are always so bloodthirsty and violent, they're getting sub-par action.

hillburra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cycloneaxes - A port town [community]
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2010, 04:56:00 am »

Pity about the last fort, can I get another dwarf?

Hilbo
Ambusher/Animal Trainer/Marksdwarf

Hopefully I can protect you from the orcs this time and get some meat and leather when they aren't around.

EDIT: What a poor king of dwarves. Only has a *granite throne* - sifn't have a named artifact of elves being gored by skeletal elephants to sit on.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 04:58:57 am by hillburra »
'b' is different than 'x' and a Bed doesn't hold back magma as well as a Floodgate no matter how fast you type.

100killer9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2010, 07:27:51 am »

100killer9
Engraver5/glassmaker5
Male
Just out of curiosity, what DOES Dwarf Fortress smell like?
Death, Booze, and Insanity.
Ladders are absolutely essential for one reason and one reason only:

Welcome, friends to Slaves to Armok III: Snakes and Ladders.

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2010, 01:57:40 pm »

EDIT: What a poor king of dwarves. Only has a *granite throne* - sifn't have a named artifact of elves being gored by skeletal elephants to sit on.

Yes, this civilization of dwarves is very secluded from the rest of the world. They only hang out with the orcs and nothing else. There are no elves or elephants on the island. The only reason I used **, is because I haven't quite figured out how put masterul marks in there.

Also, thanks you two for joining back up again despite how short and aweful the last one was. This one should be more interesting. I'll post the embark site soon.
Yikes, the Orcs have a nasty language.  Traditional foreplay would be right out for them; how would they ever "say my name" for one another?  No wonder Ocrs are always so bloodthirsty and violent, they're getting sub-par action.

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2010, 02:22:29 pm »

As me and the first two dwarves I had picked out, Hilbo a hunter, and 100killer9 an engraver and a glassmaker, were planning out how to build the port, I glanced back at the map that marked where we would be going.

It seemed like a nice enough place. From what the humans had told me about their ports, this area perfect for building a port town. I only hope our design will work with the sea-floaters the mountainhomes will be making.

wagawaga

• Bay Watcher
  • He is utterly unaware of his own intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2010, 03:15:19 pm »

Waga
-Mining 5
-Anything else you want

DwarfOfDefeat

• Bay Watcher
  • Reproduces through Mitosis
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2010, 05:06:59 pm »

cap'n wineslasher
-energetic piratey dwarf who all ways has a smart ass comment :D
skills:sword:3
shield:2
mecanic:5
i hopei made it :D
"Your mother was a hamster and your father smelled of elder berries!

TheHunger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2010, 05:59:26 pm »

Name: Ups
Profession: Miner

Looking forward to this.

Stas

• Bay Watcher
  • Procrastination
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2010, 06:10:27 pm »

Name: Stas
Profession: Book keeper (or anything else that allows me to have an office)

No I'm not psychic. I just know that this is dwarf fortress. and the most stupidly awesome and inexplicable thing is probably going to be the first thing to happen.

sausage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2010, 08:21:40 pm »

I'll take a dwarf.

name sausage
cook/hunter.
Of course, why else would dwarves risk life and limb to retrive one sock during a full scale siege onslaught.
The depressing thing is that they quite often lose life and limb(s) in the process.

Zades

• Bay Watcher
  • Do flying babies do blunt or gore damage?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2010, 08:29:17 pm »

Ooooh. I like ports too.

Dwarf pls.
Name: Zades
Profession: Mason?

100killer9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2010, 08:33:47 pm »

Men in dwarf fortress wear dresses too. A very disturbing glitch...
Just out of curiosity, what DOES Dwarf Fortress smell like?
Death, Booze, and Insanity.
Ladders are absolutely essential for one reason and one reason only:

Welcome, friends to Slaves to Armok III: Snakes and Ladders.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2010, 10:18:53 pm »

i claim whatever i had last game
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2010, 11:05:34 pm »

Alright, I got the dwarf list updated. I wasn't quite expecting this much interest in such a short time.
I'll try to get the first update done sometime before now and 12

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2010, 02:25:05 am »

I was going to write a story about the journey to the site, but I had over half of it written, then accidently lost it all and really didn't feel like re-writing it. I'll put it in later.
-------
As we arrived at the beach, I had the miners dig down to build some basic housing and get a farm set up. Oh wait, farm. We had no farmers. Or brewers. Or butchers to clean up the corpses that Hilbo brought in. How would we survive?
We had no masons, or a woodcutter or carpenters for that matter. We really didn't have anything that was necessary. I brought it upon myself to pick up the axe and cut down the nearby trees for wood and to clear the way for our walls.

While the miners, Waga and Ups, dug out the living quarters and farming area, I had Wineslasher setup the farms because most everyone else was busy or was doing as little as him. After the miners dug out the living and dining hall area, they went down to dig out some mines for rocks, and 100killer started smoothing the rooms and dining hall.
Because we needed some defenses, Stas, HIlbo, and I grabbed some of the rocks, dragged them out into the daylight, and built them into tall rough slaps, which we rigged together to look like walls.
To further increase the defenses, Waga dug a channel, and Wineslasher did something he was good at and built a bridge with a working lever to connect it.

Hilbo was looking kind of tired and sweaty, so he dropped his hunting equipment and kept on working in his civilian clothes.
After the upper defenses were finally finished, we built a seawall to block off the waves and protect against a beach assault.

It's been a few months, and few of us have done anything that we are too used to really. I've been cutting down trees and brewing the booze. Hilbo's been making crafts for when the caravan comes. Wineslasher has been doing whatever else needs to get done.
We finally got all the furniture we needed, like tables for the dining hall, beds for everyone, and a chair for Stas so he can keep track of everything in the fort.

In early autumn, I was going up to cut down some more trees, when I saw a group of rhesus macaques making off with Hilbo's hunting equipment! I chased them down, trying to kill them or at least get them to drop the stuff, but I was only able to kill one.

As they made off with the goods into the distance, the dwarven caravan was riding in from the horizon.
I yelled for Wineslasher to bring up the crafts he made. Even from the depths of the fort I could here him reply "You can shove 'dese goods up yer arse!".
Even after 2 seasons he was still bitter towards everybody, maybe he'd change.
Despite his grumblings, he brought up the goods.
The traders looked rather pale and thin, much like we were when we arrived.
"That sea not treating you well?" I said with a hint of a smile forming on my face.
"What? Uh.... no.. no, we're fine. Now, let's trade."
We traded all of our crafts and goods for their food and booze, both of which we desperately needed. Now, instead of having to ration our food carefully with every meal, we had enough food to last us for a while.

--------
I'm so sorry about this update, I know it's aweful, but I was watching Kath Williams, and he seems to absorb my creative juices. The next one should be much better, I promise.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6