Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Neutering Animals?  (Read 1871 times)

Danjen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Neutering Animals?
« on: January 08, 2010, 01:41:06 am »

What do I have to change to stop a particular species of animal from breeding? Every time the humans come to siege my fort, they stay for like 2 seasons, and all of their female horses start dropping babies which neuters my framerate, so I need to know how to stop them.
Quote from: mrbobbyg
Hey, I'm cool with you tying a dog up and shooting it with a ballista if you're short on elves, but there's not need to lie about it to us.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
Re: Neutering Animals?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2010, 01:45:15 am »

I believe there a value for the creature raw called Litter or Litter size, if you change that number to zero, they won't breed.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2010, 02:06:19 am »

No. You just remove child and baby tags.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Halmie

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2010, 02:41:16 am »

No. You just remove child and baby tags.
I thought that made them jsut skip the whole child and baby stage. I think giving them [MALE] or [FEMALE] tag will stop them breeding becuase the whol race will be that gender.
Meh.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2010, 02:43:45 am »

RACE? If you give it to RACE, then they will die out during worldgen.

If you give it to a specific creature type, you have to re-gen. Because otherwise remaining males in case of [FEMALE] may cause some glitches.

I'd say, destroy (butcher/kill) all existing children of that creature before removing those tokens, just in case.

Anyway, removing the child/baby token  is the fastest and working way to stop breeding.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2010, 07:33:12 am »

RACE? If you give it to RACE, then they will die out during worldgen.

Not exactly. I have a genderless race which doesn't die out in worldgen due to not breeding - they just don't breed.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2010, 08:04:17 am »

well, then they should be immortal :).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

wagawaga

• Bay Watcher
  • He is utterly unaware of his own intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2010, 10:42:21 am »

Their populations remains to the initial then, and on the first war they get pwnt.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2010, 10:46:16 am »

Their populations remains to the initial then, and on the first war they get pwnt.

Not if they're tough enough. My race has initial pop/civ 1250, one max starting civ, no CAN_SPEAK, firebreath, and DAMBLOCK 15. They don't kill everything, nor does everything kill them. They do, however, make for good history.

Oh, and they're lead by powers as well, which helps them control themselves.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2010, 04:32:55 pm »

What do I have to change to stop a particular species of animal from breeding? Every time the humans come to siege my fort, they stay for like 2 seasons, and all of their female horses start dropping babies which neuters my framerate, so I need to know how to stop them.

You could build a military and kill them all, or you could build a bunch of traps to do the same. You could build a megatrap and systematically wipe them out. You could make horses aquatic and airdrown all of them once the humans leave. I don't know how removing the child tags on the horse creature file would effect the game though. Suddenly you have all these objects that refer to things  that aren't in the raw files, I have a feeling that the game wouldn't handle it very well.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2010, 05:06:10 pm »

You could build a military and kill them all, or you could build a bunch of traps to do the same. You could build a megatrap and systematically wipe them out. You could make horses aquatic and airdrown all of them once the humans leave. I don't know how removing the child tags on the horse creature file would effect the game though. Suddenly you have all these objects that refer to things  that aren't in the raw files, I have a feeling that the game wouldn't handle it very well.

When you remove child tags for creatures of which there are already living creatures, the remaining babies grow up in approximately less than a season, and no more are born.

This is tested: I tried this on giant olms that were multiplying in my underground river and slaying my fps. That was what I observed.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

wagawaga

• Bay Watcher
  • He is utterly unaware of his own intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2010, 01:31:56 pm »

Not if they're tough enough. My race has initial pop/civ 1250, one max starting civ, no CAN_SPEAK, firebreath, and DAMBLOCK 15. They don't kill everything, nor does everything kill them. They do, however, make for good history.

Oh, and they're lead by powers as well, which helps them control themselves.

Basically, they are a Megabeast civilization.