Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [40d] Vista Problems  (Read 1015 times)

Klokjammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[40d] Vista Problems
« on: January 07, 2010, 11:17:21 pm »

I moved my DF directory onto a Vista Machine (Don't Ask), and was able to play one of my old forts.  But then I ran into several problems.  I am using version 40d, and have only moded the tileset.  I have not made any other changes since I copied the directory onto the new computer.

Firstly, the Game cannot launch from the "recent programs" section in the Start Menu. It can only be executed in the actual directory.  Not a big problem, but its a slight inconvenience.  It said something about not locating the index file in data folder.

I cannot, for whatever reason, export images of the fortress.  Creating a new world and exporting that map works fine.

If I run as administrator, or copy the whole directory, the game starts up from an outdated save, more specifically, from the time when the folder was copied from the old computer.  Which is odd, because this save should have been overwritten with each save.  Looking at the save folders, nothing has been modified since (the date still says September 2008, the last time I played it before moving).  Where is my game being saved?  And how is this game finding it?

How can I work around these problems?  Has anyone else experienced problems with 64-bit Vista?
Code: [Select]
g  <-  This is a goat
g  <-  This is a goblin mason
g  <-  This is a gremlin covered in white paint

Does everyone understand the difference now?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: [40d] Vista Problems
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010, 11:54:37 pm »

Is the game installed in Program Files?  If so, move it somewhere else.  Vista doesn't play nice with that.

Klokjammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2010, 03:34:23 am »

Yes its in Program Files, however moving the directory is not an option, because I will lose the game I saved.  Running DF as a user, allows me to access a save file that I have been playing for the past couple of days, but running as Admin or moving the directory has the old data.  The reason being, the old data is the one in the save folder, but if that's the case, then how am I saving and playing a continuous game?  If its not saving and loading in the region1 folder then where is it?  Windows search is useless, it says searching for non-indexed files, but it isn't.

If I could find the files, or actually save it into Program Files, Then I can move it.
g  <-  This is a goat

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2010, 03:50:10 am »

According to this page you should be able to find the save in C:\Users\<userid>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\<DF directory>.  If it's not there, read that page for more clues.  I just found that page by Googling -- at this point you can do a lot more to help yourself than I can to help you.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 03:55:02 am by Footkerchief »

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2010, 10:39:42 am »

Firstly, the Game cannot launch from the "recent programs" section in the Start Menu. It can only be executed in the actual directory.  Not a big problem, but its a slight inconvenience.  It said something about not locating the index file in data folder.

Mine doesn't do this either. (And I believe it is because of something about Vista's paranoid security.)

I can export images of the fort though.

It does saves just fine, it's not in the program files folder though. I would try moving it out of the program files after you finish this fort.. not sure what else you can do.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Klokjammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2010, 11:41:29 am »

According to this page you should be able to find the save in C:\Users\<userid>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\<DF directory>.  If it's not there, read that page for more clues.  I just found that page by Googling -- at this point you can do a lot more to help yourself than I can to help you.

Thanks Footkerchief, the files have been retrieved and the DF directory has been moved.  Lessons learned, Vista file permissions cannot be negotiated with, Don't put any program that saves to its program folder into 'Program Files,' and get Windows 7 ASAP.
g  <-  This is a goat

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2010, 02:08:25 pm »

Woot, glad that worked.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2010, 03:46:31 pm »

Thanks Footkerchief, the files have been retrieved and the DF directory has been moved.  Lessons learned, Vista file permissions cannot be negotiated with, Don't put any program that saves to its program folder into 'Program Files,' and get Windows 7 ASAP.
Congratz, this is one of the reasons that Windows disgusts me.

I really wish I could use Linux, but there is tons of compatiblity issues.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.