Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Fun things to do with water?  (Read 1517 times)

T600

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Fun things to do with water?
« on: January 07, 2010, 10:48:22 pm »

Are there any cool or interesting things to do with water? I feel that magma is over rated and water is the true W.M.D.

So what are some cool things you guys have done with water? Also I'm a DF newb kind of. Also im traumatized by magma. I embarked near a exposed magma pool and a fire imp came out and set a forest fire. Needless to say all my dwarves were burned alive. No one survived

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fun things to do with water?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010, 10:50:17 pm »

And that's traumatizing?

Dude, you need to toughen up.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010, 10:59:38 pm »

The most fun that can be had with water is its ability to knock things down without killing them, and its ability to interrupt pathing. That's it, really, other than interactions WITH magma.

I mean, sure you can drown things, but if you've got them trapped enough to drown, then you don't really need the water, you could just Release the Hounds, or Pull the Spike Lever, or whathaveyou.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

T600

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2010, 11:04:24 pm »

Also do any of you use water wheels? I would like to work comfortably with magma but I can never find a magma pipe and a river or brook in the same area.. I think my world sucks perhaps?

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2010, 11:07:51 pm »

I've been hoping to try around with water access tunnels - train your military up to Legendary in swimming, then build 2z deep waterways and drop them in with bridges. Sure, they won't path in naturally, but if you force them in and give them a way out on the other side, perhaps they'll take it. A good potential way to flank a siege. Perhaps tonight calls for some experimentation!

ed- That was both fast to test and incredibly successful. The legendary swimmer didn't continue to fall downwards in the water despite it being deep because he'd started swimming, then chose to swim down another tunnel and up some ramps to the exit. This is exciting.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 11:33:41 pm by Retro »

Tcei

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear me! I am Bekat the Adorable Skull!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2010, 11:08:43 pm »

If you live in a freezing biome you can create a freeze trap.
....They just refuse to stay down unless butchered, in which case their skins will haunt you until you subdue and tan them. Never has legendary butcher and legendary tanner seemed so valueable as in this release.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2010, 11:09:05 pm »

Also do any of you use water wheels? I would like to work comfortably with magma but I can never find a magma pipe and a river or brook in the same area.. I think my world sucks perhaps?

Waterwheels are the way to go, in terms of power generation.

I would reccomend genning a new world, but changing the options to let you see the features like magma pipes on the world map. THen you can embark on a site where hte pipe is hidden underground (and the imps will only come out to play once you've breached it).  Another reccomendation for newer players is to immediately dig in when the vent is on the surface. And by dig in, I mean, move everything underground. Right away. Then seal the entrance. This would give you some safe distance to plan how to deal with the magma.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

jokermatt999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2010, 11:19:23 pm »

I'd suggest playing with water pressure. Make a tall cistern, fill it, then open the floodgates and flood the world.

Fishbulb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2010, 12:05:53 am »

Water pressure is awesome. Yes, magma is fine and all, but the way water moves under pressure makes for big fun. At least to me; I'm a nerd.

I've lately adopted a sort of standard habit for all my forts; not sure if it'll last or I'll get bored with it or what. But I've been embarking near streams or minor rivers (or in a couple cases, a major river), damming them, and digging out a fairly large pressure column just downstream of the dam. Say a 3x3 or 5x5 pipe going straight down from the riverbed to the bottom of the map. I do this by digging up stairs on the lowest z-level, then up/down stairs the rest of the way. The inside of the pipe gets smoothed and fitted, then I channel out the stairs. The miners stand on the z-level below to channel out the stairs above them. It works well.

On each level I'll install a door or four, and just leave them. Once the dam is opened again and the pipe is filled (which takes like two seconds), I can come back later and dig horizontal pipes up to those doors, rig them with levers elsewhere, and open them to bring water to wherever I want it. Since it's under the pressure of the whole column, it fills pipes really quickly, and water can be piped upwards without pumps. I've had a little problem lately remembering to install pressure baffles where they need to go, but there haven't been any fatalities yet. I'm wimpy enough to built a floodgate-valved emergency release at the bottom level; I have a pipe that runs horizontally from the bottom of my water column to the nearest map edge, closed off with floodgates. Smooth and carve the map edge, pull the floodgate lever and the whole plumbing system drops out the bottom. It can take quite a while (i.e., a season or more) for elaborate horizontal plumbing networks to fully drain, but the point is the pressure is released immediately, so overflows can be interrupted before they become catastrophic.

The natural extension, of course, is to use a pump stack and a constructed pipe to extend this idea to a water tower that reaches all the way up to the sky. Given that a 15-level subterranean water column creates dramatic results when tapped on the bottom, a column that rises 15 levels into the sky would presumably produce dramatic results when tapped at ground level.

Of course, due to the way water flows vertically (it teleports rather than actually moving from tile to tile) it wouldn't be possible to blast orcs away from the fort with tons of pressurized water. More's the pity. But still, it would let you deliver a large amount of water to an enclosed space in a short amount of time, for whatever fun or amusing uses you might have for it.

T600

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2010, 09:54:14 pm »

Water pressure is awesome. Yes, magma is fine and all, but the way water moves under pressure makes for big fun. At least to me; I'm a nerd.

I've lately adopted a sort of standard habit for all my forts; not sure if it'll last or I'll get bored with it or what. But I've been embarking near streams or minor rivers (or in a couple cases, a major river), damming them, and digging out a fairly large pressure column just downstream of the dam. Say a 3x3 or 5x5 pipe going straight down from the riverbed to the bottom of the map. I do this by digging up stairs on the lowest z-level, then up/down stairs the rest of the way. The inside of the pipe gets smoothed and fitted, then I channel out the stairs. The miners stand on the z-level below to channel out the stairs above them. It works well.

On each level I'll install a door or four, and just leave them. Once the dam is opened again and the pipe is filled (which takes like two seconds), I can come back later and dig horizontal pipes up to those doors, rig them with levers elsewhere, and open them to bring water to wherever I want it. Since it's under the pressure of the whole column, it fills pipes really quickly, and water can be piped upwards without pumps. I've had a little problem lately remembering to install pressure baffles where they need to go, but there haven't been any fatalities yet. I'm wimpy enough to built a floodgate-valved emergency release at the bottom level; I have a pipe that runs horizontally from the bottom of my water column to the nearest map edge, closed off with floodgates. Smooth and carve the map edge, pull the floodgate lever and the whole plumbing system drops out the bottom. It can take quite a while (i.e., a season or more) for elaborate horizontal plumbing networks to fully drain, but the point is the pressure is released immediately, so overflows can be interrupted before they become catastrophic.

The natural extension, of course, is to use a pump stack and a constructed pipe to extend this idea to a water tower that reaches all the way up to the sky. Given that a 15-level subterranean water column creates dramatic results when tapped on the bottom, a column that rises 15 levels into the sky would presumably produce dramatic results when tapped at ground level.

Of course, due to the way water flows vertically (it teleports rather than actually moving from tile to tile) it wouldn't be possible to blast orcs away from the fort with tons of pressurized water. More's the pity. But still, it would let you deliver a large amount of water to an enclosed space in a short amount of time, for whatever fun or amusing uses you might have for it.

how do you people think of things like this? I wish I was this good at dwarf fortress :(

Shrike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2010, 10:49:13 pm »

Well, it's really more of a: "What the heck just happened and killed everyone?" "Oh, I see." "Hmm... how to make this intentional in the future. Also killing everyone faster."

In other words, experience is the best teacher.

While water pressure doesn't really work in the vertical direction for shoving, there is always the fun of using a horizontal vent to blow orcs off the side of a cliff.
Also elves.
Humans.
Dragons.
Dwarven nobles.
Milkers, dyers, fisherdwarves (If the bottom of the cliff has a carp pool, the proper way to address fisherdwarves is "chum").

jokermatt999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2010, 02:51:51 am »

Pushing orcs off cliffs, eh? This makes me want to make a set up where the enemy is constantly pushed back and forth by water, possibly dropping 1 z level at a time.

Deadly, no. Hilarious, yes.

Picture an orc, ready to siege you. His eyes glare at your entrance, his nerves are like steel, he's growling murder at your dwarves, ready to enter your fort and slaughter. This is a being of pure hatred, existing only to annihilate you. Truly, a visage of terror. He charges towards your fort, the lone herbalist looking up in horror at his approaching doom. Suddenly, a wall of water rushes towards him. The orc doesn't even have time to turn to face it, as he's thrust from his murderous course, into a tiny pit, just barely tall enough to keep him from climbing out. Really, he's more baffled than enraged. Then, it happens again, pushing him down into another tiny pit. This time he's even more confused. As the the water rushes towards him a third time, he simply curls into a ball and waits for wetness to stop.

Water is fun.

jokuvaan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2010, 04:49:22 am »

http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-1544-motherofallfloodingtrapsfloodeverything

nuff said  ;D

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!
Thikut Inethmuzish, Recruit cancels Shooting at Archery Range: Too Insane.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2010, 05:45:19 am »

a similar experience- except by accident. Had an exposed magma pipe in a very steep mountain face, and thus a large chunk of open space. I'd dug my fortress in behind the magma pipe's caldera, and then i'd decided to dig a stair shaft upwards. I ran into the underground river I'd forgotten was there. From underneath.

Cue sealing-off of my pipe, and plugging of small gaps in the caldera to attain maximum water retention.

Then I dug a hole at the bottom.

To his credit, my miner didn't splatter against a tree. He actually managed to swim up a level and survive.

So yeah. That was Fun.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Murphy

• Bay Watcher
  • Lazy half-ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2010, 06:27:22 am »

I sometimes construct vaults for my adventurers to loot, that are only accessible via underwater passages. Too bad I can't ensure there will be monsters underwater.
Pages: [1] 2