Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: refrain from OOC descriptions of gods/deities  (Read 1189 times)

aha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
refrain from OOC descriptions of gods/deities
« on: January 25, 2008, 01:51:00 pm »

I am constantly following dev blog and I noticed this line in 23.01.08 post:

Members of the Doctrine of Devils worshipped Tabmik Frothedbloat the Putrid Sucker (disease) in the Ungodly Silty Shrine.

I understand that the name of the god describes his actions and nature, but shouldn't it be in-character? Surely, when kobolds worship a certain deity who commands them sacrifice babies every other day, they don't see this act as evil themselves. Human observer might call their god evil, but actual worshippers obiously would not.

tail -f -n 10 df_27_176_38a/gamelog.txt

Nite/m4re

• Bay Watcher
  • Too Deep
    • View Profile
Re: refrain from OOC descriptions of gods/deities
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2008, 01:57:00 pm »

Personally, I like them this way.

sorbius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2008, 02:00:00 pm »

The dev log is about as OOC as you can get.  I would prefer Toady NOT RP in his dev posts.

EDIT: also, when did he say anything about this being evil?  The way it's worded it's completely neutral (just the facts)

[ January 25, 2008: Message edited by: sorbius ]

keepin' it real for atleast the last 5 minutes.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2008, 02:18:00 pm »

There's two ways relative perception works. It is based on how do evil people acknowledge evil. In one case the people call it good, relative to how it affects them. In the other, they acknowledge evil as evil - evil to the good, thus good for them. For gameplay's sake, I think the second case would work better, the first way would cause confusion.

While you discovering a dark goblin citadel and finding a "Kind Lovely High-Temple of Flowers" is reasonably fun, the fact that "Kind" and "Lovely" are evil-relative terms, and that "Flowers" refers to a particular man-eating variety, would not be very easily presented to the player, and thus the goblins' dark style is somewhat compromised.

Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Red Jackard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Page
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2008, 02:27:00 pm »

it is not unfeasible for characters to worship evil gods for various reasons, though the post below me does have a little merit.

still, i prefer that dev notes remain as they are - objective.

[ January 25, 2008: Message edited by: Red Jackard ]

My dwarves are not your dwarves.

aha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2008, 02:28:00 pm »

You are going from one extreme to another. What about something rather neutral - like Mighty Granthack (known to goblins) there could be additional entry that elves call this particular god Midnight Baby Snatcher :D

sorbius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2008, 02:32:00 pm »

Everything else in the game is presented in this history book style, just the details of what happened, no oppinions.  Allowing the player to decide if it's 'good' or 'evil'.

also /agree with Sean Mirrsen

sorbius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2008, 02:35:00 pm »

a.k.a's for gods would be cool.

[ January 25, 2008: Message edited by: sorbius ]

Cosmonot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2008, 09:51:00 pm »

Subtlety has not yet been implemented. Be patient.
Kobolds carry copper crossbows.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2008, 10:18:00 pm »

Kobold: [EVIL].
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2008, 10:49:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by aha:
<STRONG>I am constantly following dev blog and I noticed this line in 23.01.08 post:

Members of the Doctrine of Devils worshipped Tabmik Frothedbloat the Putrid Sucker (disease) in the Ungodly Silty Shrine.

I understand that the name of the god describes his actions and nature, but shouldn't it be in-character? Surely, when kobolds worship a certain deity who commands them sacrifice babies every other day, they don't see this act as evil themselves. Human observer might call their god evil, but actual worshippers obiously would not.</STRONG>

What part of that is evil?  Kobolds like devils.  They think frothy bloat sounds good, and putrid sucker diseases are just part of their life...  and it is an ungodly silty shrine.  It's just really silty.

Kobolds use nasty words a lot and have a crude sense of humor, but nothing in that line automatically means 'evil'.  In fact, you are the one applying your standards of good and evil to the kobolds!

We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Alfador

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerous Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2008, 04:39:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Aquillion:
<STRONG>What part of that is evil?  Kobolds like devils.  They think frothy bloat sounds good, and putrid sucker diseases are just part of their life...  and it is an ungodly silty shrine.  It's just really silty.

Kobolds use nasty words a lot and have a crude sense of humor, but nothing in that line automatically means 'evil'.  In fact, you are the one applying your standards of good and evil to the kobolds!</STRONG>

Agreed! Heck, if elves worshipped gods instead of a force of nature, we'd probably be seeing something like "Circleturned, god of Birth and Death." Paradox? No, nature!

This is a fox skull helmet. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of fox bone and is encircled with bands of fox leather. This item is haunted by the ghost of Alfador Angrorung the fox.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2008, 06:21:00 pm »

The spinning !!carp!! strikes Torak in the head!  :mad:

quote:
What part of that is evil? Kobolds like devils. They think frothy bloat sounds good, and putrid sucker diseases are just part of their life... and it is an ungodly silty shrine. It's just really silty.

Kobolds use nasty words a lot and have a crude sense of humor, but nothing in that line automatically means 'evil'. In fact, you are the one applying your standards of good and evil to the kobolds!
Agreed! Heck, if elves worshipped gods instead of a force of nature, we'd probably be seeing something like "Circleturned, god of Birth and Death." Paradox? No, nature!

Seconded!
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Cosmonot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2008, 06:40:00 pm »

This is a fantasy universe. Moral relativism does not work. Kobolds are evil. They steal your children. Get over it.
Kobolds carry copper crossbows.

aha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2008, 09:14:00 pm »

I am raising and butchering cows in my fortress. I am taking away mommies and daddies of little calves. Am I evil?

Kobolds steal dwarven and human children but raise their own (otherwise they won't have much of society). Are they evil in their own sense?

Pages: [1] 2