Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Edit emark site (change biomes, add features)  (Read 787 times)

Khym Chanur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Edit emark site (change biomes, add features)
« on: January 07, 2010, 08:58:58 pm »

If a scenario for a fortress has really specific site requirements it can take a long time and some frustration to find the site you need.  There are various suggestions for improving the site finder, and various ways you can fiddle with world generation parameters, but what about altering a site in an already gen'd world so that it's exactly what you need?  That way if you find a site that's almost what you need, you just tweak it a little and then embark.

As for the interface, the way I envision it is:

• Something like the designation menu or building menu, to add (or remove) things like magma pipes, chasms, HFS, and so on.
  • Select one of the existing biomes and alter it:
    • Select a layer and change it, which would have lots of uses:
      • Add sand for glass making.
      • Add flux for steel making.
      • Add a sedimentary layer for iron.
      • Make a glacier.
      • Add obsidian for short swords and high-value stone.
      • Remove (or add) aquifers.
    • Change the density of trees and vegetation.
    • Change the temperature.
    • Change the evil/good/savage/calm settings (or spheres in future versions that use spheres).

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Edit emark site (change biomes, add features)
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010, 10:59:24 pm »

This is, basically, cheating, as DF attempts to be a bit of a world simulator. So maybe this would be best for a completely separate mode which does not gen a world at all...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010, 11:04:41 pm »

Can't you already hand draw worlds?   I don't see why the game needs built in functionality to make 'perfect' sites.   Part of the fun is not knowing.  Most of the fun is playing in the semi-coherent 'world' that the game generates.   All of the fun is Losing.

Eztuzt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2010, 12:37:48 am »

Hand draw worlds? With what?

Also, part of the fun is not completely knowing whats down there. If you could place HFS and know exactly where your underground river is, it wouldn't be much of a surprise, now would it?
In August of 1943, while serving as skipper of the PT-109, John F. Kennedy's boat was ripped in two by the Japanese destroyer Amagiri. Kennedy and his crew were tossed into the water and surrounded by flames. Kennedy, despite a chronic back injury and an even more chronic boning-induced-exhaustion, managed to swim four hours to safety while towing an injured crewman by the life jacket strap with his teeth. His fucking teeth!

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2010, 01:24:58 am »

It's possible to gen a world that uses a supplied heightmap to create the world. There are pics floating around somewhere of a greater britain world map for example. Similarly, there is a paintbrush tool that lets you paint in elevation, savagery, etc.
The problem with both is they don't actually allow control of site maps, only world. It doesn't mean you can't do some things like make a really deep ocean next to a tall mountain, but it doesn't quite have the control I think Khym is going for.

Anyway, I agree with the Capn. A lot of the fun comes from knowing that this awesome site actually popped up out of pure random fractal math.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2010, 07:49:33 am »

Which is why I suggest a sandbox mode, if someone really wants to just run some dwarves through a maze, or complete some sort of megaproject, then they can use a completely customised map(with options to randomise some aspects). I suppose an option to put a fortress from any compatible source into a world map could have its uses...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2010, 02:57:15 pm »

The game has been moving away from such things, not towards them. Don't hold your breath

What the game needs is being able to place civs more intelligently (relying on random placement is bad now that supply of materials matters) and less reliance on your own materials. Eventually we'll be able to import glass to recycle, flux and fuel in adequate quantities etc. That should make more locations viable without needing to hamfist in marble layers with the power of plot

groo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2010, 01:49:45 am »

Part of the fun is not knowing.  Most of the fun is playing in the semi-coherent 'world' that the game generates.   All of the fun is Losing.
Speak for yourself. I get frustrated when I lose out on entire industries because my embark site doesn't have what I need for them. My idea of fun is having as much content to play around with in each embark, from enemies and monster to fight to resources to tap; there's a reason forum threads devoted to finding the perfect "dwarf heaven" exist, it's because people don't want their access to game features restricted in any given game. And as the game works now, it's fairly easy to play on a map with an underground river, lake or magma pocket and never even know it's there for as long as the fortress stands, unless you're alright with messing your site up by honeycombing it for features.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2010, 02:13:05 am »

This is part of a dev item:

# EDITORS: Draw your own region maps, create your own towns, creatures, items, start situations, etc. For example, you could create Earth at various time periods (or an amalgamation of various time periods).

However, as a post-V1 item, it's not likely to get implemented in the near future.