Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A Clean Slate  (Read 1313 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
A Clean Slate
« on: January 07, 2010, 04:33:44 pm »

I'm not promising anything.

FortKnox has proven to be too large of an undertaking for the moment, so I've decided to start small.

With Modbase out of commission, I have decided to scrap it, and reuse as much of it as possible for a new beginning. A clean slate.

It's going to a be a mod manager retaining the most important functions of the old Modbase - compiling and fabricating raws. It will have a new interface, new syntax, and hopefully better performance. It'll also be written in C#.

It will, of course, be only for the next version of DF.

No 'shots for now. I will post progress here as it happens.

Post suggestions and encouragement here.

Help is appreciated in form of links to the preview raws of the next version that were released to date. I seem to have lost them. Bonus points for doing it before Footkerchief does.

I'd also like to ask the resident pixel art masters to come up with a program icon that would represent the "clean slate". It can be a slab of rock with the DF's slate symbol on it.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 04:36:07 pm by Sean Mirrsen »
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

TSB

• Bay Watcher
  • It's the TSB experience.
    • View Profile
Re: A Clean Slate
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010, 04:57:03 pm »

Sample weapon raws:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Sample creature raws:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I forget which other samples were offered, so I will keep poking around. Hope this helped.

And here is a giant link.

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/spoilers/raws-12-18-08/index.html
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 05:21:59 pm by TSB »

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010, 04:58:23 pm »

There were body detail plans and dwarves, IIRC.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

TSB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2010, 08:32:53 pm »

Bump so you see this.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2010, 03:50:27 am »

Okay, that helps greatly. Thanks a lot!

TSB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2010, 01:18:31 pm »

No problem.

Now, about those bonus points... ;D

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2010, 02:43:30 pm »

I can make a bonus feature. Do you want a bonus feature?

TSB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2010, 03:46:18 pm »

I appreciate the thought, but I'm just glad I could help out. That's bonus enough for me.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2010, 01:52:15 pm »

Alright, I've sorta resurrected ("Reanimated" would be a better term) my desktop, so now I can actually do programming on it. (glances at the poor dead laptop in the corner)

I'm currently at the "grasping concepts" stage of development, because other than using the English language, C# and VB don't have much in common. But I have made what I deem will be the final version of the interface.

I hope to make the left window a "tree view" with on/off icons and submods/variations in the tree instead of different windows as it was in Modbase. Also, with Drag&Drop. The right field will have the descriptions.
"Select Target Folder" will be for saving compiled raws to an existing save, "Reloading Raws From" is for the same in reverse. All in all, I estimate my success chances as 30%, optimistically. Let's hope I find enough time for this.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2010, 02:02:56 pm »

Progress report.

System.Collections.Generic.List<T> is a godsend. If I knew of this thing (or how to use this thing) when doing Modbase, I'd have avoided about half of the trouble I've had with it. I'm exploring other collection variants like keyed lists for potential use as tag containers.
Right now, the program can detect any files starting with dfmod_ in a given folder, stick them into the treeview list, and display the full path to them when an item is clicked. This was achieved with just the mod list, the tree view, and a simple ten-line search routine, whereas Modbase uses complicated subroutine structures for such things. "A Clean Slate" may well become much faster, and may even be done before the new version hits! Hehe, I'd forgotten how exciting programming can get sometimes. And yes, I'm a little too optimistic.

*reaches into brain, carefully turns the "optimism" dial until it shows "3", flicks a random switch for the heck of it and seals the brain again*

.kcab ti kcilf retteB <_> .ynnuf adnik leef I ,wow iO

*etats tluafed sti ot kcab hctiws eht skcilf ,niaga niarb otni sehcaer*

Yeah, let's not do that again.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 02:05:28 pm by Sean Mirrsen »