Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Carp: You died as you lived.... running away?  (Read 4286 times)

Lost Requiem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Fur Affinity
Carp: You died as you lived.... running away?
« on: January 07, 2010, 01:49:38 pm »

In adventurer mode, I've killed a small handful of Carp and Sturgeon, and now for some reason, a huge fleet of the terrors of the deep are FLEEING from me as I slowly swim towards them and hack them apart one by one. If they had half a mind to attack me, I wouldn't stand a chance. Now they're just running off without a fight.

Here's a picture. I'm sneaking up on them right now to get the shot, but the instant I got out of hiding, they ran off.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 02:08:34 pm by Lost Requiem »
Lost's sanctuary for Lolis.
Quest Complete! 41/31

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
Re: Carp: You died as you lived.... running away?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010, 02:44:47 pm »

Don't they have the benign tag? That usually makes animals flee from you if they have that.

Lost Requiem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Fur Affinity
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010, 02:50:01 pm »

No. These are the same fish that moments before I found them were eating a pack of wolves.

Well, I lost them. I chased them down the river, which is now filled with blood, and here's the final kill count. Honestly, I don't think I even did anything to their numbers. The mass was as large as ever when they escaped into a lake.

53 Carp
7 Longnose Gar
8 Pike
5 Sturgeons
4 Sea Lampreys
Quest Complete! 41/31

Arrkhal

• Bay Watcher
  • Who modded in these flying killer attack babies???
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2010, 02:53:11 pm »

Carp and most other animals that don't LIKES_FIGHTING or have LARGE_PREDATOR will run, and only fight if they think they're cornered.  Pretty sure that BENIGN is a biome tag only, that doesn't affect behavior.

It's strange.  Horses and goats and other harmless stuff will kill peasants left and right in adventurer, while carp run from you.  Then in fortress mode it's the opposite.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 02:59:35 pm by Arrkhal »
In development: Arrkhal's Material and Weapon balance
Please test and let me know what still needs fixing.  And get these freakin' babies offa me!

valcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Experience rivers.
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2010, 03:04:33 pm »

I think horses and stuff fight only in defense, so maybe it's the same way with carp?  Idk.  In fortress mode, your dwarves are scared beardless at the mere sight of them so they usually don't get close enough to do battle. 
Still doing Let's Plays, still got a gold toof. 

Adventure Mode:  The Movie!

Jervous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2010, 03:32:39 pm »

That's because Carp actually initiate combat, but NPCs will, constantly. If a dwarf walks up to a river and sees a carp, it will tackle it and..drown.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2010, 05:49:08 pm »

That's because Carp actually initiate combat, but NPCs will, constantly. If a dwarf walks up to a river and sees a carp, it will tackle it and..drown.

Civilian dwarves (in Fortress mode) will never attack anything willingly unless they're Hunting it or it's attacking them. Carp only attack dwarves near the river because they feel threatened (i.e. unable to run away), and the dwarf's retaliation typically doesn't end well.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2010, 07:41:35 pm »

Carp and most other animals that don't LIKES_FIGHTING or have LARGE_PREDATOR will run, and only fight if they think they're cornered.  Pretty sure that BENIGN is a biome tag only, that doesn't affect behavior.

It's strange.  Horses and goats and other harmless stuff will kill peasants left and right in adventurer, while carp run from you.  Then in fortress mode it's the opposite.

So you're saying LIKES_FIGHTING is liable to make horses stand their ground when threatened? I need something to make horses stop running (I'm expecting human sieges in my next game) that isn't as ridiculous as LARGE_PREDATOR. Not to mention that the aforementioned tag also makes them ambush you in adventure mode.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2010, 07:43:27 pm »

Yeah. As opposed to sturgeons. In this game they're nothing more than bloody-minded armor plated freshwater sharks.

I've lost more dwarves to sturgeons than carp in riverside forts. :(
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Arrkhal

• Bay Watcher
  • Who modded in these flying killer attack babies???
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2010, 07:54:36 pm »

So you're saying LIKES_FIGHTING is liable to make horses stand their ground when threatened? I need something to make horses stop running (I'm expecting human sieges in my next game) that isn't as ridiculous as LARGE_PREDATOR. Not to mention that the aforementioned tag also makes them ambush you in adventure mode.

Yep, [liKES_FIGHTING] ought to do it for fortress mode, but is likely to make them go berserk in adventurer (not really sure).

Hm, checking the raws again, [BENIGN] may change their behavior after all, in addition to making them appear in benign biomes.  I notice the main difference between cats and dogs is cats are [BENIGN].
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 07:56:59 pm by Arrkhal »
In development: Arrkhal's Material and Weapon balance
Please test and let me know what still needs fixing.  And get these freakin' babies offa me!

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2010, 08:02:49 pm »

That's because Cars actually initiate combat, but NPCs will, constantly. If a dwarf walks up to a road and sees a car, it will flag it down and... get ran over.

Yeah. As opposed to surgeons. In this game they're nothing more than bloody-minded armor plated freshwater sharks.

I've lost more dwarves to surgeons than cars in riverside forts. :(
Note to self, don't go to a hospital or riverside.
(Yes, I make very bad jokes)

Note, I never had any experience with carp, or any other fish in DF. Although it would be FUN if toady allowed Bull Sharks, which tolerate freshwater, to go up a river and attack your dwarves if the part of river you're on is near the ocean.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 08:13:23 pm by Phantom »

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2010, 08:28:39 pm »

Yep, [liKES_FIGHTING] ought to do it for fortress mode, but is likely to make them go berserk in adventurer (not really sure).

Hm, checking the raws again, [BENIGN] may change their behavior after all, in addition to making them appear in benign biomes.  I notice the main difference between cats and dogs is cats are [BENIGN].

For now I've removed their benign tag. If that doesn't make them stand their ground, I'm gonna experiment with likes_fighting next. Large_predator did it for me before, but I'd like to avoid using it due to them ambushing adventurers with that tag (of course I could add it every time I play fortress and remove it every time I play adventure, but I'd prefer something that's consistent).

Lost Requiem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Fur Affinity
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2010, 11:11:20 pm »

That's because Cars actually initiate combat, but NPCs will, constantly. If a dwarf walks up to a road and sees a car, it will flag it down and... get ran over.

Yeah. As opposed to surgeons. In this game they're nothing more than bloody-minded armor plated freshwater sharks.

I've lost more dwarves to surgeons than cars in riverside forts. :(
Note to self, don't go to a hospital or riverside.
(Yes, I make very bad jokes)

I lived in the Riverside area for 5 years, and then moved to a county bordering it. Not as great as advertised. The schools I went to were a complete carp heap.

And what are you going to do once the doctoring job comes in the next build? Let all your dwarves DIE?
Quest Complete! 41/31

JoystickHero

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:tileset]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2010, 11:33:33 pm »

I've lost more dwarves to sturgeons than carp in riverside forts. :(
I've lost more adventurers to sturgeons than dwarves to carp. :P
JoystickHero's Capital Tileset (Simple. Clean. 16x16)
Quote from: Moosey
Really?  You passed up an opportunity to say "Urist McNugget"?

Loyal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rogueish looks]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2010, 11:37:17 pm »

Exactly what determines whether a creatures is "cornered"?

Because jesus christ I have never seen so much blood in the water. I'm not even sure what caused it because the only dead creatures are some carp, pike, and longnose gars that airdrowned at the bottom-most tile of the map. They like to nibble at my dwarves now and again, and I think a dwarf caravan guard killed one (or at least wounded another, leaving a mangled dorsal fin).
Pages: [1] 2 3