Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Values & Ideals  (Read 3639 times)

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
Re: Values & Ideals
« Reply #45 on: January 09, 2010, 02:53:46 pm »

The US never actually fought the USSR.  One plane went down during the Cuban missile crisis, and it was shot by Cuba.  Which had no operational nukes to use.  Plus the intent was for us not to use nukes, because we didn't want to upset the USSR.

If we had attacked the USSR directly, or them us, at any point, nukes would have gone flying.  There was a major problem of what to do should the soviets interfere with Vietnam or Korea.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 09, 2010, 03:25:52 pm »

Mindmaker - Good luck with that!  :) And comiserations to the situation you're in at the moment. Must be a bummer.  :-\ Nonetheless, one hopes you'll finish uni in the middle of an economic boom!  :D

Nuclear War Discussion - While I think that it's true that putting a large area of the world in a "mexican standoff" has aided world piece, as more and more of the world join in, I think the chances of some mad person "shooting" (most likely a mentally incapped person, or fundamentalist) and causing everyone involved to die heightens. Like LegoLord, world peace is an idea that heavily appeals to me, even if I know it'll make very difference to what happens to me during my lifetime.  :)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 09, 2010, 06:54:08 pm »

The US never actually fought the USSR.
Yes they did. In all those conflicts around the world. If the US sends troops to "aid" South Vietnam/Korea and the USSR sends troops to "aid" NV/NK, and they shoot each other, I'd say that they are pretty much fighting each other
One plane went down during the Cuban missile crisis, and it was shot by Cuba.
Nope. Soviet SAM battery, manned by Russian soldiers.
There was a major problem of what to do should the soviets interfere with Vietnam or Korea.
They did interfere
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vietnam_war#Soviet_Union
« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 06:59:00 pm by ChairmanPoo »
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 09, 2010, 07:20:28 pm »

If I had been Kennedy I would've ordered them to fire a nuke at Cuba.  I then would've climbed atop the capitol building and begun punching the air, shouting "LET THE WORLD BURN" over and over again.
Shoes...

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 09, 2010, 07:22:30 pm »

If I had been Kennedy I would've ordered them to fire a nuke at Cuba.  I then would've climbed atop the capitol building and begun punching the air, shouting "LET THE WORLD BURN" over and over again.

Thankfully, your not Kennedy.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 09, 2010, 07:27:00 pm »

My not Kennedy what?

Scathing remarks aside, I am Kennedy.  I just wasn't during the Cuban missile crisis.
Shoes...

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 09, 2010, 07:32:08 pm »

that would have been sort of cool
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

redacted123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
-
« Reply #52 on: January 09, 2010, 07:38:19 pm »

-
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 11:44:10 am by Stany »

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 11, 2010, 01:42:50 am »

What, are you guys a bunch of American terrorists?

h3lblad3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 11, 2010, 09:49:21 am »

I'm going to ignore the derailing mostly because I can't get around to reading it and throwing out my genius.

I value procrastination.
I'd tell you why, but I'll save it for another time.
I was talking about importing alimunim.
And we were hypothesising about the sexual relations between elves and trees.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 11, 2010, 09:56:43 am »

It wasn't that long ago that I watched a movie that must have came out during EARLY cold war Era. Where USSR invented a Nuclear Rocket that was capable of striking New York dirrectly.

USSR won, killed both protagonists sent to stop them, and nuked New York.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 11, 2010, 01:04:08 pm »

I value procrastination.
This is what I use to justify my procrastination: http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=what-are-we-thinking-when
Turns out the best way to solve a problem is to keep it in the back of your mind. Or as I put it, "I'm not procrastinating, I'm fermenting my thoughts!"
And in a similar line of thought: "I'm not lazy, I'm efficient."

As an atheist, my view is one of utilitarianism mixed with evolutionary theory. The way I see it, morals and ethics are analogous to DNA in the organism which is a society. They would appear naturally in just about any society, even among much less intelligent species. A stable society of organisms can be much more productive than a single organism. Therefore, like any other evolved trait, organisms would adapt into a state which would most benefit that society, keeping it healthy and productive for its members (and by extension themselves and their offspring).
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 01:06:33 pm by alway »

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 12, 2010, 08:58:06 pm »

I value procrastination.
This is what I use to justify my procrastination: http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=what-are-we-thinking-when
Turns out the best way to solve a problem is to keep it in the back of your mind. Or as I put it, "I'm not procrastinating, I'm fermenting my thoughts!"
And in a similar line of thought: "I'm not lazy, I'm efficient."

As an atheist, my view is one of utilitarianism mixed with evolutionary theory. The way I see it, morals and ethics are analogous to DNA in the organism which is a society. They would appear naturally in just about any society, even among much less intelligent species. A stable society of organisms can be much more productive than a single organism. Therefore, like any other evolved trait, organisms would adapt into a state which would most benefit that society, keeping it healthy and productive for its members (and by extension themselves and their offspring).
When will computers develop morals?

jvempire

• Bay Watcher
  • Row Row, Fight da British
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 12, 2010, 09:06:44 pm »

It wasn't that long ago that I watched a movie that must have came out during EARLY cold war Era. Where USSR invented a Nuclear Rocket that was capable of striking New York dirrectly.

USSR won, killed both protagonists sent to stop them, and nuked New York.
I guess those people never saw War Games!

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 13, 2010, 08:41:33 am »

My values are extremely compicated, and my philosophy far more so.

My primary value is that speech should flow freely. Censorship, in any form, for ay reason, is the greatest crime any person can commit, for it makes all other atrocities possible. This does not mean that one is free from the consequences of what he says, for there is no right not to get your teeth knocked in when you insult someone enough, or advocate that that person be chained or slaughtered.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5