Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: export world info later, after creation  (Read 1935 times)

Bas Cost Budde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.heuveltop.nl
export world info later, after creation
« on: January 07, 2010, 11:08:25 am »

I have generated several worlds but did not realize the value of having a bmp and history exported. Can I get at that afterwards?

sunshaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: export world info later, after creation
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010, 11:37:12 am »

Yes. If you are not play a fortress or adventuring in that world then you can go into Legends and generate a world seed, map and other things.

If you are playing a fortress or adventuring in the world then you can still do it, it is just a bit more complicated. First, with Dwarf Fortress off, backup/copy your saved game folder to another directory. Then start DF and abandon your fort or retire your character. Now go into Legends and generate your seed, map and other stuff. Quit DF. Copy those files to a safe place. Replace the "abandoned/retired" save with the backup of the "active" save. Continue enjoying your game.

Bas Cost Budde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.heuveltop.nl
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010, 01:24:34 pm »

Splendid! Thank you.

Echo7

• Bay Watcher
  • Reading you loud and clear, kid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2010, 08:54:02 pm »

Why go to the trouble of copying twice?

Copy the save folder once, with a different name in the same directory (i.e., "region1" and "region1 copy").  Start DF and load the copy.  Abandon that fortress.  Delete when done.  Less work, same results.  ;)
Always shoot first.

Moosey

• Bay Watcher
  • [moose brute extract]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2010, 11:59:25 am »

You can get your seed without any mucking about with save files.  Just go to the Escape menu and do "Export Local Image".  Along with the images will be a text file with all the worldgen info, including seed.  I don't think this gets your embark location, though...
Backs to the wheel
There's granite to shove