Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Suicidal Zombie Alligators.  (Read 3760 times)

Asmodeous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Suicidal Zombie Alligators.
« on: January 07, 2010, 10:59:42 am »

So my fort, the Mystery Cavern of Magic (which three of us are simultaneously playing alternate realities off) is in a nice Haunted Biome, where we occasionally see a living animal, but most of the time it's the undead. Excellent place for dwarves to live. In fact, even the Fire Imps are zombies. It's fun times.

So anyway, there is a severe Skeletal and Zombie Alligator infestation, no matter how many die, more show up. The really crazy thing is I only ever hunted one of them, so that it would stop harassing my woodcutters, yet they keep ending up dead... er. Deader.

To date, 10 (yes, ten) skeletal and zombie alligators have wandered into my fort through the front gate, and walked right into the barracks to say hello to my Champions. They walk in, they say "Hey guys, what's up?" and the Champions all pause their sparring momentarily, look over, and then proceed to tear the little bastard apart.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

As you can see, there are alligator bones all over the hall. In fact, what that image doesn't show is that the string of alligator bones (from the latest skeletal alligator) string about 15 tiles in all directions, 1 bone per pile. I think my champions got a little overzealous.

Who would have thought that being undead would be so horrible for an alligator that they would all walk right into the sparring barracks with ten champions in it to be ripped apart. :( Sad state.

Bear in mind these are the same champions that a dragon showed up, they marched over to it, ate two fire breaths without flinching (the lead champion had a shield, and has an excellent shield skill and forked the breath weapon around him, the other six champions to his flanks were not so lucky but came out uninjured not even a bruise!!) and tore him apart in seconds.

Poor undead alligators. :(
(There is a story behind this. . .)

This is an Alder Omelette. All craftsdwarfship is of highest quality. It is encircled with bands of cheese. It menaces with spikes of bacon, ham, and peppers. On the object is an image of dwarves in egg white. The dwarves are eating.

Asmodeous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Suicidal Zombie Alligators.
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010, 11:08:57 am »

As a testament, three of my eleven (or three of the last five) artifacts are made of alligator bone. :D

This is an Alder Omelette. All craftsdwarfship is of highest quality. It is encircled with bands of cheese. It menaces with spikes of bacon, ham, and peppers. On the object is an image of dwarves in egg white. The dwarves are eating.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010, 11:24:33 am »

Zombies and skeletons are known for being very persistent, not for their tactical genius.

Asmodeous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2010, 11:37:53 am »

It almost makes me feel bad for them. :( The poor little guys get torn to pieces!

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2010, 11:41:13 am »

The undead are dangerous because they're very fast and can turn powerful but benign or waterbound creatures into walking heralds of death. Not because they carefully siege and ambush your dwarves.

But yea, the afterlife sucks when all you can do is wander into a barracks.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2010, 11:56:58 am »

One of the side effects of being undead is wanting to kill everything that isn't also undead.
Being undead, they aren't really capable of any sort of reasoning, so they just charge in and attack.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Asmodeous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2010, 12:01:37 pm »

I realize this, it was mostly that I found it comedic, because in the span of one year, ten of the buggers marched in and none of them went after any of the dwarves or the meeting hall that is about six paces prior to the sparring room. They all marched straight for the barracks.

It was pretty hilarious to watch. :)

alphawolf29

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2010, 12:56:23 pm »

Pff. Thats nothing. One year i defeated an ambush of Fourty Four Zombie Rabbits.

That was before the Skeletal Wyvern showed up though. (Who kept stealing socks and running away..never did figure that out..)

Earth Striker Lurin

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's Go to Work...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2010, 01:04:17 pm »

As a report from one of the other realities of MysteryCavern,  I have to state that our fearless leader "Mayor McCheese" went stark raving mad because I refused to make him a noble's quarters.  And he ran into the booze room and started beating the crap out of "Planter Mary"...  The official response from the Marksdwarf team was "I'm on break..."  But after quickly drafting some rookie wrestlers we managed to take McCheese down, but he had killed 4 of the most friendliest dwarves you've ever met.

Needless to say my reality of MysteryCavern got reset last night...
"So I looked to the left of me, looked to the right of me, raised the giant's severed arm above my head and said 'Let's go to work...'"   -- Lurin Diamondfist relating the time he had to mine without a pick axe.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2010, 01:55:54 pm »

In one of my fortresses I was fending off neverending hordes of zombie gazelles.

The entire western side of the map was plagued by them, and my champions just kept patrolling up and down the side of the map, destroying everything, leaving the map just covered in bones. My fortress of 150 dorfs couldn't keep up with hauling all of the bones into the catacombs deep underground.  :(

Loyal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rogueish looks]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2010, 03:33:54 pm »

I once played a fortress that was on the border of good/evil biomes, so there were unicorns on one end of the map (who occasionally liked to wander into my cage traps), and skeletal mountain goats on the other.

Goblin ambushes were also frequent, and there was an almost-competition to see whether the dwarves or goblins would rack up a higher mountain goat killcount (they make good training for melee dwarves with nervous injuries).

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2010, 04:46:22 pm »

When animals wander into your fort one by one, it's not too bad. But when they wander into your fort in clusters...

...In my latest game I modded elephants to come in huge groups and appear everywhere so they could torment my peasants. Every spring, a herd of them would camp my front gate, flee as the trade caravan approached, and then kill any peasant that went near them to cut wood or drink water from the lake or collect the corpses of peasants who went before. Occasionally they would wander in one by one, and crush war dogs that got in their way. I sent my champions out to get them away from my front gate, but the elephant armies mobbed them to death, and arrows seldom hit key areas, leading to suicidal crossbow charges. I put out cage and weapon traps, but the elephants jammed the weapon traps immediately, and then killed the mechanics who went to reset or reload the traps. Throughout all this, I couldn't even gather the corpses of the elephants I did kill, because the rest of the herd would gather round and protect it until it rotted away to bone and vanished.

Did I mention I also modded the elephants to be size 60?
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

xdarkcodex

• Bay Watcher
  • Watch in awe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2010, 08:02:20 pm »

Thats just plain suicide if you ask me.
the statement below is true
the statement above is false

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2010, 11:30:13 am »

Thats just plain suicide FUN if you ask me.

Fixed.

:D

Whats your raw for the elephant hordes?

Graven

• Bay Watcher
  • Don't we all just love contact juggling?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2010, 11:34:02 am »

I once had a league of skeletal horses attempt synchronised assaults on my fortress. Too bad their half of the map was flat, with the first mountain ridge being the entrance to my fortress. Oh, and did I mention I had erected dwarven watchtowers in front of it? Generally killing undead with arrows is rather inefficient, but with the remains of 30 skeletal horses spread, so to speak, in my front yard, it's quite funny.

And Darkflagrance, that does sound somewhat suicidal, I give you that :)
What a strange and beautiful world I beheld, but dangerous too, I was certain. And I was friendless and homeless. And so I prayed.
"Hear me, exalted spirits. Hear me be you gods or devils, ye who hold dominion here. I am a wizard without a home. I am a wanderer seeking refuge."
Pages: [1] 2