Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: goblin fortress - advice?  (Read 1184 times)

squeak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
goblin fortress - advice?
« on: January 07, 2010, 10:47:02 am »

hi! i've tried to start a goblin fort as i've heard of before on these forums, but i have encountered a problem, i moved the civ_controllable tag as described, do i need to do anything else to make them usable?
i embarked once and whatever i did they wouldn't cut down trees :S
going to try again though....

ps. not sure if this is the right place to post this, feel free to point out if i have made a mistake!

Ravenplucker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: goblin fortress - advice?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010, 12:21:17 pm »

I think there is already a goblin fortress mod out there. seek it out, it looks pretty good.

squeak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010, 12:27:34 pm »

apparently i took the wrong axes... i got it to work ok, and my home goblin civ did come and trade with me, surviving without farming is hard though, even in the very safe area i embark in anyone set to hunt (i have crossbows and bolts) dies a horrible death

squeak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2010, 12:28:25 pm »

also i have tried looking on the forums and on the wiki for such a mod, i cannot find much on them

Murphy

• Bay Watcher
  • Lazy half-ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2010, 05:10:46 am »

Why mods? Isn't just moving the [civ_controllable] tag enough?

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2010, 05:35:17 am »

Why mods? Isn't just moving the [civ_controllable] tag enough?

Technically, yes. But for all I know, vanilla goblins might be unplayable (not literally, but I hope you know what I mean). The fact that the OP mentioned allegedly taking the wrong* axes seems to hint at gobs needing some streamlining before being comfortably playable.

* There should be no wrong axes for chopping wood. Even a halberd or great axe (I've tested the former, and thus surmise that the latter will be the same) is useful for woodcutting as long as you switch your woodcutter to two-handed weapon usage. If that won't cut it, then you're going to have to decrease the size requirements for those weapons. While this might be a hassle, it can be preferable reembarking or having to wait for traders to bring battle axes.

Murphy

• Bay Watcher
  • Lazy half-ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2010, 06:24:50 am »

Ah, so they would be playable, with some quirks, but nothing truly bad. I didn't play much with goblins, and was just thinking I might have overlooked something critical for later gameplay.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2010, 07:01:51 am »

...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

squeak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2010, 07:27:33 am »

i did eventually get it to work ok, its quite strange to see goblins running around instead of dorfs. one strange thing is goblin caravans from my home civ appear to arrive every season. this will be interesting to explore...
thanks very much for the link to the mod!

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2010, 01:54:09 pm »

with some quirks, but nothing truly bad

Technically, I can't be sure about the second part. One won't know that until one looks at (and understands) the raws, or better yet, tests playable goblins properly. I have done neither.

one strange thing is goblin caravans from my home civ appear to arrive every season.

Look at your raws and check during which seasons your goblins are active. Dwarves are only active during autumn, which is when they send caravans. Default goblins are active all year, so if the mod hasn't changed this, I'm not at all surprised about you getting caravans four times a year.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 01:56:01 pm by assimilateur »

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2010, 06:10:28 pm »

It's partly to balance the fact that the other civs in the game are at war with you. Thus, it is a feature, not a bug  ;D
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2010, 10:09:24 pm »

Ha, I wouldn't have called that a bug either. I was just explaining why this (most likely) worked as it did in case Squeak wanted to change it.