Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: The Real Wagon  (Read 22149 times)

milaga

• Bay Watcher
  • No Job
    • View Profile
The Real Wagon
« on: January 07, 2010, 08:38:39 am »

Kosoth: This is the true story ...
Minkot: ... of seven dwarves ...
Sazir: ... picked to live in a wagon ...
Lokum: ... work together and have their lives taped ...
Mebzuth: ... to find out what happens ...
Shorast: ... when dwarves stop being polite ...
Rakust: ... and start getting real.

The Real Wagon

Background
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

In in the Year of our Dwarf 80 seven dwarves embark next to a terrifying volcano. They tie their animals up outside and wall themselves into their wagon for protection to begin a three year experiment. With nothing at all to do they immediately begin socializing. Their social skills begin a rather quick increase.

The first thing I noticed, checking Dwarf Therapist, was that not all dwarves were gaining all social skills. Kosoth and Sazir seemed to lack the ability to intimidate their fellow dwarves. Lokum could neither persuade nor flatter and Minkot couldn't console, pacify or even carry on a conversation! Minkot was, however, the only dwarf that was capable of lying. I can only assume that the inability to gain these skills comes from the dwarves personality.

Almost immediately the two most disfunctional dwarves, Lokum and Minkot hooked up. By the end of Spring Kosoth (who was chosen as the leader) and Shorast paired up as well. This left Mebzuth and Sazir to fight over Rakust. But Rakust didn't seem to be interested in them, or in any of the other dwarves for that matter. She was the only one not to have any friends in the bunch. As the social outcast, she remained merely happy while the rest of the dwarves were quite ecstatic.

If there was going to be a problem in the fort it was almost certainly going to start with Rakust. During the first year, Rakust's happiness fluxuates between 60 and 80. Sazir and Mebzuth level off at around 200 happiness. The remaining four dwarves who seemed to have found true love are on their way past 500.

In the autumn the caravan came. One of the guards had his arm torn off by an undead groundhog and died on the side of the mountain. The liason, unable to get inside, decided to hang around. In fact, he hung around for THREE YEARS, occasionally being chased around the map by skeletal animals.

On the first day of the second year Lokum and Minkot are married. They forgo any formal ceremonies. Shortly thereafter Lokum becomes the first legendary dwarf in Consoling. Two days shy of the start of Winter Minkot gives birth to a baby girl. Her happiness skyrockets to around 2000. The rest of the year progresses along without change, although a band of skeletal macaques swept across the map to claim the dead guard's belongings and slaughtered the animals that were tied up. They also freaked the hell out of the dwarves but left the Liason intact physically.

In mid-summer of the third year Minkot gives birth to another girl. Rakust is the last dwarf to reach Legendary +5 in all social skills she has. By autumn, the emo Rakust has had enough of the fort. The same food day in day out, constant snowstorms, vermin and those two horny dwarves Mebzuth and Sazir eying her constantly. Her happiness dips below 50 into unhappy and slowly begins to decline.

It looks like we might finally have a tantrum on our hands. However, just as winter hits Thob, Minkot's eldest daughter, grows into a child. She takes a liking to Rakust and becomes her first friend. Almost immediately her happiness jumps up to 80 and by the time the third year ended she was ecstatic.

The happiest dwarf in the end was Lokum with 3491, followed by his daughter Thob with 3336 and his wife Minkot with 3106. The next happiest was Mebzuth, who had clearly resigned himself to being alone and had achieved a 659. This was more than the other couple who were both around 450, while Rakust and Sazir rounded out the bottom with 200.

Conclusions
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 05:10:16 pm by milaga »
Thanks for that...  now I have the image of Urist McBooger walking up to me with a creepy smile and asking me if I want a "dwarven shower".

sunshaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Real Wagon
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010, 09:01:36 am »

Out of curiosity what were their personality traits?

Arrkhal

• Bay Watcher
  • Who modded in these flying killer attack babies???
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010, 09:34:57 am »

I had originally planned on writing this up as a transcript but I don't have the energy. I don't like or watch The Real World so I would probably do a bad job at a parody anyway.

A parody would have been utterly agonizing.

Post 1: Urist complained of the rain today.

Commercial break!

10 minutes ago, Urist complained of the rain.

Commercial break!

20 minutes ago, Urist complained of the rain.

Commercial break!

30 minutes ago, Urist complained of the rain.  What excitement will happen next????

Post 2: Last time, on The Real Wagon, Urist complained of the rain.

Commercial break!

Last time, on The Real Wagon, Urist complained of the rain.  This time, Oddom punched Berim right in the agak!

Commercial break!

Last time, on The Real Wagon, Urist complained of the rain.  10 minutes ago, Oddom punched Berim right in the agak!

Commercial break!

Last time, on The Real Wagon, Urist complained of the rain.  20 minutes ago, Oddom punched Berim right in the agak!  Things are incredibly fast-paced in The Real Wagon!  What excitement will happen tomorrow?
In development: Arrkhal's Material and Weapon balance
Please test and let me know what still needs fixing.  And get these freakin' babies offa me!

Tally

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2010, 09:57:35 am »

That was hilarious, Arrkhal. This is kind of interesting, though. I figure you can probably take some info away from this to save a fort pre-emptively from a tantrum spiral. One guy's a downer, just cancel his jobs, cancel his friend's jobs, have them talk to each other for a good while.

The thing I can definitely see is that dwarves LOVE to have friends, and love even more to have lovers. I can see that interaction with friends and lovers provides a massive amount more happiness than just talking to any other dwarf.

milaga

• Bay Watcher
  • No Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2010, 10:26:20 am »

Out of curiosity what were their personality traits?

The DF wiki has a key to what these numbers mean.

There is another thing to take away from this. If you have the time and don't mind messing up your relations with the trade caravans, sealing your dwarves in like this is a relatively quick way to make seven dwarves Legendary +5 nine times over. Look a the stats on them! Not bad for a peasant.
Thanks for that...  now I have the image of Urist McBooger walking up to me with a creepy smile and asking me if I want a "dwarven shower".

Cardinal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2010, 01:31:51 pm »

Or just build yourself a legendary dining room + legendary barracks + food supply and seal off a small portion of your population inside regularly for enforced socialization.  It's like the opposite of Dwarven Science...  Maybe once they're all L+5 in social skills you can drop magma on them, just to make up for it.  There's a danger in one of them getting a mood (Not a problem with the test case of course, but once you've carved out a fortress...) but then you can just pull the lever and let all or some of them out.  Better than making them run the pump for eternity. 

I wonder if you could engineer a more pliable mayor out of the deal (say your current mayor has lots of friends but likes Bismuth, Pig Iron and Clear Glass while you've got a few guys who like cages, microcline and vomit who you think would make better mayors but they have crap social skills and no friends).  Dwarven Political Campaigning?
Engraved is an image of a Human and a video game. The Human is making a plaintive gesture.

TheDJ17

• Bay Watcher
  • [SWAG]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2010, 01:53:42 pm »

Did any immigrants ever come? Or did you turn them off? I think it would be interesting if the migrants built their own fort around the Stating 7's 9x9 block, that would probably make the challenge less boring.
The spinning =<*Free Form Jazz*>= strikes the Poster in all the senses, ya' dig, utterly blowing the mind!
The Status Quo has been struck down!

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2010, 03:55:17 pm »

What I'd find interesting is trying to run an actually functional fort in as small a space as possible. Plop down a farm plot, plant some mushrooms, harvest them, tear up the plot, put down a distillery, brew the mushrooms, tear up the distillery, put down a kitchen, cook the booze...

Of course, that gets away from the socialization study a bit. I guess the goal would be to see how happy you can make dwarves be when they have no permanent structures except for the walls enclosing them.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

milaga

• Bay Watcher
  • No Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2010, 05:06:36 pm »

Or just build yourself a legendary dining room + legendary barracks + food supply and seal off a small portion of your population inside regularly for enforced socialization.
There's a danger in one of them getting a mood
Better than making them run the pump for eternity.

Yeah, this is a far quicker method for training up the attributes of dwarves then the "gulag" of endless mining, smoothing, pumping and blockbuilding. As I understand it military dwarves won't go into a mood. One of the future experiments I'll plan to run is to give the seven a single point in wrestling, activate them all and put them off duty. With no barracks they shouldn't spar, but how much socializing they do remains to be seen.

I wonder if you could engineer a more pliable mayor out of the deal (say your current mayor has lots of friends but likes Bismuth, Pig Iron and Clear Glass while you've got a few guys who like cages, microcline and vomit who you think would make better mayors but they have crap social skills and no friends).  Dwarven Political Campaigning?

Something else I noticed but did not mention is that apart from the two couples pairing up in the first season the relationships between the dwarves did not change at all. Despite the fact all the dwarves were essentially Legendary +5 socialites, Rakust was never more than a passing acquaintance to the other six. Whether or not these skills made it easier for them to become friends when introduced to new dwarves was beyond the scope of this experiment but is still an interesting question I might get to.

As I understand it, the mayor elected is usually the one with the most friends and skills don't have anything to do with it. So running dwarves through this social machine won't necessarily make them any more likely to be elected mayor. Still, this is a good idea.

And as a side note, since this super-socializing doesn't make them any more friends, it shouldn't put them any more at risk for a tantrum. On the contrary, I imagine a fort leader with Legendary +5 consoling and pacifying might be able to prevent quite a few tantrums.

Did any immigrants ever come? Or did you turn them off? I think it would be interesting if the migrants built their own fort around the Stating 7's 9x9 block, that would probably make the challenge less boring.

I never got any migrants, and since the value of the fortress was steadily declining by constant consumption and no production that seems logical. Although how immigration actually works never seems all that logical to me. I mentioned in the writeup that once the liaison appeared she never left. Since the liason needs to report the value of the fort (as I understand it) yet remained alive I don't think we'd ever get immigrants.

And I didn't see this as a challenge so much as a "What if ..." thought experiment.

What I'd find interesting is trying to run an actually functional fort in as small a space as possible. Plop down a farm plot, plant some mushrooms, harvest them, tear up the plot, put down a distillery, brew the mushrooms, tear up the distillery, put down a kitchen, cook the booze...

One of the variants I have in mind is taking six dwarves and cramming them into a one space hole in the ground surrounded by walls. The seventh dwarf (the leader) will be responsible for continually growing plump helmets, brewing some and then dumping them on the dwarves. This can be run indefinitely until something upsets the system. Maybe every once and a while they will get a few bucketfuls of water dumped on them to freak them out.

MC Dirty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2010, 06:08:52 pm »

I can really imagine them sitting there and one of them says:
"Hey, did I already tell you the story about..."
"Yes."
"And the one with the..."
"Yes, you did."
"And the one with my uncle, who..."
"YES! 57 TIMES ALREADY!"
"...well, crap."

Tally

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2010, 06:31:23 pm »

"Did I ever tell you about the time me and Keith ran through a burning building while killing some zombies? ...Oh wait, that was with you guys. Nevermind."

In any case, though, I think it'd be better that the guy who hangs in the corner would be the worker for the whole operation.

Unfortunately, in the chart given to us, Rakust doesn't have any 'gregariousness' personality trait. I'm sure it's there, just hidden. I figure it's probably likely that the person with the lowest gregariousness would be the wallflower.

If you don't want to guess, just give everyone growing, brewing, and cooking.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2010, 07:04:23 pm »

The liaison does not need to report on your fortress wealth for you to get migrants. I've gotten migrants in the first summer, which would obviously preclude that. It might be a factor, but it's not a requirement.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

elizar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2010, 07:14:02 pm »

I'm doing my own wagon challenge, if only to figure out how relationships actually work in this game.

I have now three pairs of breeders of a [NO_EAT] and [NO_DRINK] dwarves, which is also not [ALCOHOLDEPENDANT]. Can't wait for the kids to grow up to see how they go about this.
A quick scan of the stocks menu shows that one of the dead pack animals has a bin full of silk cloth!  It is speedily unforbidden, and my moody glassmaker sprints off to retrieve his prize amongst the smoking, charred, blood-soaked ruin that is the outdoors, totally oblivious to the carnage that was instigated on his behalf.

DennyTom

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Urist!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2010, 06:03:38 am »

I'm doing my own wagon challenge, if only to figure out how relationships actually work in this game.

I have now three pairs of breeders of a [NO_EAT] and [NO_DRINK] dwarves, which is also not [ALCOHOLDEPENDANT]. Can't wait for the kids to grow up to see how they go about this.

Well - they just can go forever and ever. If they do not get crazy because being outcast or because failed artifact creation, they can be only damaged by hunger or giant eagles.
It is so much easier to measure life in experience points...

Freeklace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2010, 07:07:57 am »

As I understand it military dwarves won't go into a mood.

Does that aply to Recruits aswell? I drafted a ranger yesterday and 2 seconds (litteraly) later he got a mood...
Pages: [1] 2 3 4