Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [40d16] Sparring dwarves ignore walls when choosing position  (Read 861 times)

Khym Chanur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[40d16] Sparring dwarves ignore walls when choosing position
« on: January 07, 2010, 12:04:49 am »

I have a sparring barracks set up in my above ground walled-off courtyard, in order to avoid cave adaptation, with the layout like this:
Code: [Select]
W = wall
B = barrack
O = outside
I = inside

OOOOOOOOOOOOO
WWWWWWWWWWWWO
IIIIBBBBBBBWO
IIIIBBBBBBBWO
IIIIBBBBBBBWO
IIIIBBBBBBBWO
IIIIBBBBBBBWO
IIIIBBBBBBBWO
IIIIBBBBBBBWO
IIIIIIIIIIIWO

When off-duty dwarves spar there, if the outside is accessible (both draw-bridges are down) then sometimes a sparring dwarf will go to an outside tile which is next to a wall which is next to the barracks, realize that it can't reach it's sparring partner, then go back inside.

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [40d16] Sparring dwarves ignore walls when choosing position
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010, 01:08:22 pm »

Was the barracks placed before or after the walls around it?  I assume you've checked to make sure part of the barracks aren't sticking outside...

Out of curiosity, where is your outside access?  I regularly use this method of creating a barracks and never see this problem, but access is restricted to a stairway leading down into the middle of my fort somewhere.  While it's possible to get outside of the fortress., it's a pretty long walk
I've never tried it and there's a good chance it could make them freak out.
Do it.
Severedcoils - the Baron Consort accumulation challenge
Severedcoils II: The Reckoning - a DnD 5e Adventure set in the world of Severedcoils

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010, 03:42:47 pm »

I suspect this is the same problem you get with kids following moms, or soldiers in squads following their squad leader. In short, the dwarf picks a location near to the unit he's following, and doesn't care if there's a wall in the way. Until this gets fixed properly, you should be able to deal, either by making your barracks slightly smaller or by making your walls thicker.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Khym Chanur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2010, 09:28:16 pm »

Was the barracks placed before or after the walls around it?  I assume you've checked to make sure part of the barracks aren't sticking outside...

I placed the barracks after the walls were up.

Out of curiosity, where is your outside access?  I regularly use this method of creating a barracks and never see this problem, but access is restricted to a stairway leading down into the middle of my fort somewhere.  While it's possible to get outside of the fortress., it's a pretty long walk

The southwest corner of the barracks is several tiles north and about five tiles east of the drawbridge leading to the depot, and then there's another drawbridge leading out of the depot to the outside.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2010, 12:22:39 am »

They'll ignore stuff like this for a lot of things. Talking through walls certainly doesn't seem to slow down the countess/elf diplomat dialogue.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets