Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Human Settlement  (Read 1828 times)

Biopass

• Bay Watcher
  • Human
    • View Profile
Human Settlement
« on: January 06, 2010, 11:44:04 pm »

A few weeks ago, I decided to work on a human mod, since I've seen them discussed, but don't recall seeing one that compiled all of the good or new ideas posted. I'm not exactly good at it or familiar with all of the nuances of the system, so I apologize in advance for any stupid questions. I plan to upload what I’ve actually got tomorrow.

My goal is to make a balanced mod that makes humans a fun, semidorflike experience to play. From what I've experimented with, life is not exactly easy for humans.

So. Human Settlement.

CURRENT FEATURES

Humans playable
Wooden mechanisms via smelter (kudos to sunshaker for the reaction)
Humans use bows only (via crossbow skill)
Humans now have King as leader type
Humans have a few trap components
Humans can use ballistae
Dwarves will now trade with humans

PLANNED FEATURES
I’d like to work out a smelter reaction for (wooden) fire arrows. It’s kinda crude, they’re just arrows that do heat damage, but they're fun. The thing is, I’d like to incorporate quality levels if that’s possible. Anyone know how to do this?

Another smelter reaction I’d like is fire-hardened arrows. Again, I’d like to have quality levels.

I’d like to ensure that nobles will arrive. When I first tried playing as humans, I got no nobles as immigrants, not even with 80+ humans. Is there a tag for this?

Is it possible to change the names of different skills? If so, I might just entirely switch bows and crossbows in function and name.

Is there a way to make pets perform tasks such as pumping? If so, I might add pet entries for the major races to simulate slavery, which Toady’s humans find “acceptable”.

As a long-term goal, I’d like to divide the “Human” entity into a few multiple cultures. A Roman/Grecian culture that uses stone and bronze, a Viking-like Nordic culture that uses wood a lot, and a Japanese-like culture that uses steel and stone and has a strong warrior culture.

Along with this, I will probably rename the current elves to "Fey Elves" and give them wings. I will then mod in more Tolkienesque elves (metalworking, don't care about trees that much, no cannibalism). Does anyone know if it's possible to allow a certain race access to deep metals? It would make the new elves much more interesting if they had adamantine equipment (might balance by making birth rates abysmally low).

Any comments/hints/suggestions/corrections/abuse? Any feedback is quite welcome, especially on features people would like to see.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 11:19:03 pm by Biopass »
500 fps vanilla 4x4 embark. intel master race.

sunshaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Human Settlement
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010, 07:35:20 am »

You can make fire arrows, you can have them as a smelter reaction, but you can't control quality in reactions (you can control it via ITEM_CORPSE from dead things though, if you want dead animals dropping arrows...). You may have issues with the use and construction of them (I don't know enough about making and using ammunition yet as I've not played with it), if you add them to the entity file they will make them out of wood in the craft workshop (and have quality), if you make them via smelter reaction without them being in the entity file I'm not sure you can pick them up.

Fire hardened arrows are simple just make another entry in the ammo list with a higher damage value, adding to the entity file will allow normal construction, downside is that they will be able to be made out of metal as well (fire hardened iron arrows, think about it). Another option I have seen is to make a new metal called "Fire Hardened Wood" set the weapon damage at 66% or 75%, allow its use as weapons and ammo (and maybe armor) and build a reaction to convert 1 wood into 1 bar at the smelter.

I give you a reaction to make obsidian tipped bolts that do 133% damage, replacing ITEM_AMMO_BOLTS with ITEM_AMMO_ARROWS, again no quality on these things but they shouldn't need it. I'm sure you can adapt this reaction to make you Fire Arrows and Fire Hardened Arrows. You can't use [SHARP] in the ammo entries and putting it in the weapon files just allows you to make obsidian bows that shoot wooden arrows (it becomes a kick ass hand to hand bow).

Code: [Select]
[REACTION:OBSIDIAN_BOLTS]
[NAME:make obsidian bolts]
[SMELTER]
[REAGENT:1:STONE:NO_SUBTYPE:STONE:OBSIDIAN]
[REAGENT:1:WOOD:NONE:WOOD:NO_MATGLOSS]
[PRODUCT:100:25:AMMO:ITEM_AMMO_BOLTS:STONE:OBSIDIAN]

No idea on the nobles bit beyond look at what the dwarves have in the entity file that is different than the humans. Also a quick look at the entity entries should show you what to add to the dwarves to get all of the trap components (you may also have to allow Mechanic as a human profession).

I don't think you can change the skill name, but you can change the profession name for that skill.

No one has been able to make pets that are not also in the entity file do any work and then only if they are from the race you are playing (occasionally you will see glitched fortresses, usually through the duplicate entry error, that will spawn slaves).

Multiple people have split humans into different cultures (civ_forge did it with each culture getting a new creature, Living Lands had each civ using the human entry).

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010, 09:20:11 am »

to make humans use bows as the crossbow skill its best to copy the weapon BOW in the item_weapon.txt and call the new Bow = BOW_HUMAN then change [RANGED:BOW:ARROW] to [RANGED:CROSSBOW:ARROW] make sure you change the orginal bow to BOW_HUMAN in the entity

this can also be used so dwarves can use whips by adding [RANGED:SWORD:BLOWDART] and [SKILL:WHIP(or whatever the whip skill is)] or any ammo class but blowdarts arn't used yet and it would be odd to see lashers shot arrows or bolts from a whip ???, and have weapons train other skills by simply beating something senseless

and with the Nobles never fear, or maybe, I've been playing with humans every now and then but never got a POP of over 30+ damn orcs. But even with dwarves its random with my one dwarven fortress I had 187 dwarves before the nobles showed up, I think this is the cause with your human fort. Nobles might be affected by Popcap, Wealth, and Trade Export/Import.

And making AMMO with a reaction just make sure you don't use a crazy number like I did [PRODUCT:100:9999:AMMO:....] it was just too heavy

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2010, 04:53:40 pm »

The problem with the nobles was not that you were playing as human, but that you didn't fulfill the noble requirements, which include certain kinds of jobs and export amounts.

To be on the safe side, however, add in the [MAYOR] tag to the human entity, and you've already changed their leader type to KING. My modded race has those tags, and it gets nobles fine.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Biopass

• Bay Watcher
  • Human
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2010, 10:07:11 pm »

Sorry I havn't been working on this, I have had midterms and was woefully underprepared. I should be able to upload an early version soon.

NRN_R_Sumo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2010, 10:45:41 pm »

You dont need to use the smelter to make more types of arrows..

[ITEM_AMMO:ITEM_AMMO_FIREARROWS]
[NAME:arrow:arrows]
[CLASS:ARROW]
[DAMAGE:30:HEAT]

You just need to make sure they are indeed craftable by the humans.

This does of course mean you'd be able to make fire arrows of all metal types as well as bone arrows.
A dwarf is nothing but an alcohol powered beard.

Biopass

• Bay Watcher
  • Human
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2010, 11:14:15 pm »

Which is what I was hoping to avoid. I might, I just don't like it.

Toastergargletop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2010, 02:27:32 am »

why not use that fat thats lying around and use it in the reaction to represent a fuel source?

SomeDorf

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2010, 06:40:00 pm »

Well. Good luck to you and your mod. I, personally, have had my own fully functioning Human Town mod, but I've kept it to myself.

EDIT:

Also, I believe the tag for nobles you're looking for is [Mayor]

And I remember a thread a while back that made a custom creature called Beastman in to, more or less pets, that would do Farming, Pump Operating, and those such things.

Oh, right, and if you haven't already, you might want to get rid of the [MERCHANT_NOBILITY] tag. If I remember correctly, if you leave it in there, you'll be getting multiple trade caravans from like, the same faction at the same time. Or some such nonsense like that.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 07:03:38 pm by SomeDorf »

Hazelnut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2010, 08:48:29 am »

Well. Good luck to you and your mod. I, personally, have had my own fully functioning Human Town mod, but I've kept it to myself.

Any particular reason?

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Light shall take us
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2010, 09:05:53 am »

You'll probably need some kind of Wood to Planks reaction. I've had 1 Log = 6 Planks. Else, one needs ridiculous amounts of wood.
Quote from: Akura
Now, if we could only mod Giant War Eagles to carry crossbows, we could do strafing runs on the elves who sold the eagles to us in the first place.

rickvoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2010, 07:08:26 pm »

Ooh. A logs to planks reaction. Shame you couldn't use the planks for any carpentry, other than building, and even then it's going to count as either stonecrafting or masonry, depending on where you define planks, right?

sunshaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2010, 07:12:15 pm »

Planks = blocks, as you can make wooden blocks you will need carpentry.

rickvoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2010, 07:22:26 pm »

Oh. That makes sense. Nevermind, still a neat idea.

Biopass

• Bay Watcher
  • Human
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2010, 08:46:32 am »

Is there still interest in this now that .31 is relatively stable? I'm willing to pick it up again, although it'll be tough since the new RAWs are so different.
Pages: [1] 2