Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Currency Questions  (Read 1544 times)

sunshaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Currency Questions
« on: January 06, 2010, 05:33:50 pm »

Ok So the default currency for the game is Copper 1, Silver 5, Gold 15 which matches the relative values of the bars (Copper bar 2, Silver bar 10, Gold bar 30). I've seen some mods which have assigned different metals as currency (sometimes they match the values of the bars, sometimes they don't). I have never seen foreign currency show up in Fortress mode, I've never seen the traders bring any. Aside from use in the economy (which can be annoying) it has no use.

I've never played the Adventure mode, thus I don't know if coins serve a purpose in it. So do you ever get coins in the Adventure mode? Would assigning different metals to be used by different races as money (at their correct values) have a negative, neutral, or positive effect on the game in Adventure mode?

Is it possible to assign objects other than metals to be used as coins (like wood or plants for the elves)?

Can you use denominations other than 1, 5, or 15 (like say bronze at 2.5 or aluminum at 20)?

I'm strongly tempted to replace the dwarven coinage with copper (1), iron (5) and steel (15) (yes those are correct values), if for no other reason than being dwarfy.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Currency Questions
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2010, 05:42:01 pm »

Currency is used in Adventurer mode, yes, by races that use it. While I don't quite know for sure, as far as I know currency values are effectively global, so if one race had platinum coins (worth 30), and I came in from another town which didn't use platinum coins and only gold and below, I could trade two of those gold coins for a platinum coin and such.

I'm not sure about other materials. It's worth trying. All matglosses are put under a single header, after all.

Denominations: Yes, whatever you want. It doesn't have to match the material by any means either. 2.5 would go a good job of breaking the game, though.

Also, you can set as many different coin types as you want, in case you didn't know already.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2010, 05:50:49 pm »

Not only races have to 'use it', but also they need some place they can keep the coins.

That means shops, and that means civilizations with human-like towns, nothing else.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2010, 05:57:11 pm »

when I played adventure mode, civilizations didn't accept other civ's currencies. Not sure if that's always the case, but it sure was when I tried to use one type of gold coin in a different civ's shop.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Arrkhal

• Bay Watcher
  • Who modded in these flying killer attack babies???
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2010, 07:08:26 pm »

when I played adventure mode, civilizations didn't accept other civ's currencies. Not sure if that's always the case, but it sure was when I tried to use one type of gold coin in a different civ's shop.

That's what I was about to say.  Yeah, in my experience, currency is worthless to any civilization but the one who minted it.  Also, gold coins (let alone lesser denomination ones) are quite often heavier than many trade goods (especially giant cave spider silk stuff, and anything masterwork level).  Really, the main thing coins are good for is training throwing, as you can get enormous stacks and they're reasonably lightweight.

Also, you can loot the till of a human store and throw the coins all over the place, and no one will get mad as long as you never exit the store with the coins in your possession.  Not a bad way to train throwing.
In development: Arrkhal's Material and Weapon balance
Please test and let me know what still needs fixing.  And get these freakin' babies offa me!

BunnyMaster42

• Bay Watcher
  • Huggbees.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2010, 10:05:47 pm »

Just to add in, the values do have a relation to the bars, they seem to be worth half as much as a bar of the same type. Not that that makes it any better or logical mind you, just wanted to point it out (although I probably didn't need to, it's fairly obvious)

skaltum

• Bay Watcher
  • DRAW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2010, 10:10:22 am »

Ok So the default currency for the game is Copper 1, Silver 5, Gold 15 which matches the relative values of the bars (Copper bar 2, Silver bar 10, Gold bar 30). I've seen some mods which have assigned different metals as currency (sometimes they match the values of the bars, sometimes they don't). I have never seen foreign currency show up in Fortress mode, I've never seen the traders bring any. Aside from use in the economy (which can be annoying) it has no use.

I've never played the Adventure mode, thus I don't know if coins serve a purpose in it. So do you ever get coins in the Adventure mode? Would assigning different metals to be used by different races as money (at their correct values) have a negative, neutral, or positive effect on the game in Adventure mode?

Is it possible to assign objects other than metals to be used as coins (like wood or plants for the elves)?

Can you use denominations other than 1, 5, or 15 (like say bronze at 2.5 or aluminum at 20)?

I'm strongly tempted to replace the dwarven coinage with copper (1), iron (5) and steel (15) (yes those are correct values), if for no other reason than being dwarfy.

[CURRENCY:GOLD:15] the value can be anything you want.

if you wanted humans to use something like brass as a coin but you wanted it at a high value then you would place this tag in the human entity file

[CURRENCY:BRASS:30]
I just realized, after adding the new body parts to the other races, that I have an entire squad of dwarves with a shield in each hand and swinging their axes with their penises. There's nightmare fuel for those goblins, in more ways than one.

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2010, 04:58:12 pm »

Iron can't be the currency as it rust into dust and lose weight.
Finis sanctificat media.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2010, 04:58:25 pm »

As far as I know, it's a linear scale.
1 Gold coin = 3 Silver coins (15/5) = 15 Copper coins
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Pyro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dragons Can Code
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2010, 09:35:40 pm »

The term is 'dwarven'

skaltum

• Bay Watcher
  • DRAW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2010, 12:14:11 am »

Iron can't be the currency as it rust into dust and lose weight.

hell u can have adamantine for coins if u want. iron coins won't degrade. their just ridicuasly heavy
I just realized, after adding the new body parts to the other races, that I have an entire squad of dwarves with a shield in each hand and swinging their axes with their penises. There's nightmare fuel for those goblins, in more ways than one.

wagawaga

• Bay Watcher
  • He is utterly unaware of his own intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2010, 10:48:58 am »

iron coins won't degrade. their just ridicuasly heavy
What about lead coins then?

I guess, since Adamantine has the [DEEP] tag, will no civ but you (if you find the adamantine) forge the coins? That's still a waste of adamantine however.

skaltum

• Bay Watcher
  • DRAW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2010, 03:19:18 pm »

iron coins won't degrade. their just ridicuasly heavy
What about lead coins then?

I guess, since Adamantine has the [DEEP] tag, will no civ but you (if you find the adamantine) forge the coins? That's still a waste of adamantine however.

anything made from a forge will not rust or degrade. unless exposed to a higher temperature than it's own melting point. then it will melt.

yeah if u want civs too use it for coins then remove the deep tag. but only civs with [METAL_PREF] will use it

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2010, 04:20:08 pm »

Guys, i meant that iron do rust in our reality, and will rust in future versions of DF, so it can't be used as currency.
Finis sanctificat media.

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2010, 04:38:49 pm »

It can be in the current form, and thats what matters :P
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!
Pages: [1] 2