Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: "Quick" scenarios  (Read 2154 times)

ebenezer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
"Quick" scenarios
« on: January 06, 2010, 03:54:44 pm »

Hi everyone,
being a very slow player, I cannot afford games that last more than a few years (game time). It takes me one month to play two years, and it slows down as long as the fortress grows. No megaprojects in sight, I'm afraid.
I'm looking for ideas for quick, hard, "target-oriented" scenarios. The challenges in the wiki are far too time-demanding. Something like:
The Gobbosnatchers: In desperate need for intelligence to better fight the incoming war, your king has sent you near a goblin settlement to make prisoners; capture 20 goblins in less than 3 years.
Lost: 7 soldiers stranded on a terrifying island. Survive until the first caravan arrives. If it arrives.

Any suggestions? I think that scenarios that have a limited duration can be stimulating for new players, to practice for more complex and longer games, and eventually a list can be added to the challenges.
Ebenezer cancels Dwarf Fortress: seeking infant.

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
Re: "Quick" scenarios
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2010, 04:07:02 pm »

For that second one, embark on a Terrifying glacier with no soil levels for extra challenge.

One of my favorites is embarking to an Elven, Human, or Goblin settlement and seeing how fast I can kill all of the people living there.  This is made extra hard since your Dwarves refuse to target them since they always start off Friendly.
Sanity is for the weak.

alphawolf29

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2010, 06:37:22 pm »

Start off with 7 military non-marksman dwarves and build a butchery. Use your butchery as youre only source of food.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2010, 06:46:35 pm »

Start off with 7 military non-marksman dwarves and build a butchery. Use your butchery as youre only source of food.

this isn't target oriented, which i think was the point of hte OP.
How about  "create a sustainable hunting ground" - ie. trap, chain, and create a release system for the offspring.
BONUS POINTS: make it all underground, with a large "hunting cavern"
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Arrkhal

• Bay Watcher
  • Who modded in these flying killer attack babies???
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2010, 06:57:48 pm »

I dunno, I think it's most beneficial for new players to try and keep a fort going indefinitely (initially with the economy disabled, then with it turned on).  A lot of things don't become problems until later.

But anyway, how about embarking on a terrifying map with an aquifer, with no tower-cap logs or any other building materials, and not using any traps, mechanisms, or machines whatsoever?  Try to just survive for 3 years.

You could also embark on a desert map with no water, without taking any booze or livestock.  Never buy booze from caravans, and keep your dwarves on a strict vegetarian diet.  Try to survive for 3 years, again.
In development: Arrkhal's Material and Weapon balance
Please test and let me know what still needs fixing.  And get these freakin' babies offa me!

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2010, 07:09:02 pm »

Sterilize a river full of carp. Use no ranged units.

Nobbins

• Bay Watcher
  • Dustland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2010, 08:04:17 pm »

Sterilize a river full of carp. Use no ranged units.

I modded my carp to do 15-20 damage per bite instead of 1-6. If I ever try this, it'll be hella fun.
Nobbins's Tileset Shoppe
It would mean that once a year, all of your female cats suddenly explode if there are any male cats around.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2010, 10:46:12 pm »

Your dwarven community wishes to set up a new fortress nearby at a haunted location that contains a pit and large chasm. Take a team of dwarves, set up a temporary camp, and exterminate *all* wildlife at the location.

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2010, 03:00:34 am »

Bandits.
Take a group of 7 undertrained dwarves in military skills (basically meaning 1 point for the military jobs, nothing in anything else).
With nothing but the clothes on their backs.
You HAVE to seize/kill every single caravan that comes your way.
You HAVE to kill every single migrant that comes your way.
Only two dogs.
No other pets.
No booze
No food
anything else is pretty much fair game.

Best place to embark on - a terrifying road (makes it seem like the caravans and migrants are travelers).

# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

Diamond

• Bay Watcher
  • Did someone just say "elves" ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2010, 06:12:10 am »

Embark on [haunted/terrifying/sinister] sand desert with aquifer with no initial building materials. Survive two years.  ;)

Dorf3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2010, 07:19:41 am »

Fastest tantrum spiral.  Normal dwarves must have food/water and not be purposely killed or injured (except by beserk dwarves, so no recruiting them to stand next to the skeletal GCS).  Crazed dwarves of course will die by suicide or thirst/starvation.  Your job is to finish them all off before the migrants come and make it more difficult.

You could also play as suicide bombers builders, they bring nothing but picks and mining/mason skills, and build until they drop..  did I mention they forgot to bring food? and berries are for Elves?  oh yes.  If they don't finish before they stop moving forever, the reclaim group can carry on their work.. how many sacrifices will be necessary to complete your new fortress?
I had a tigerman get elected mayor and he promptly mandated 3 bowls of cereal.

NRN_R_Sumo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2010, 08:14:29 am »

Fastest tantrum spiral.  Normal dwarves must have food/water and not be purposely killed or injured (except by beserk dwarves, so no recruiting them to stand next to the skeletal GCS).  Crazed dwarves of course will die by suicide or thirst/starvation.  Your job is to finish them all off before the migrants come and make it more difficult.

You could also play as suicide bombers builders, they bring nothing but picks and mining/mason skills, and build until they drop..  did I mention they forgot to bring food? and berries are for Elves?  oh yes.  If they don't finish before they stop moving forever, the reclaim group can carry on their work.. how many sacrifices will be necessary to complete your new fortress?
shouldnt be too hard without cats, as they can eat vermin to live and drink from the river until they are too emo to stand.
A dwarf is nothing but an alcohol powered beard.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2010, 08:15:49 am »

Undermine a goblin fortress. Make sure nobody survives.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

ebenezer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2010, 03:45:35 pm »

Bandits.
Take a group of 7 undertrained dwarves in military skills (basically meaning 1 point for the military jobs, nothing in anything else).
With nothing but the clothes on their backs.
You HAVE to seize/kill every single caravan that comes your way.
You HAVE to kill every single migrant that comes your way.
Only two dogs.
No other pets.
No booze
No food
anything else is pretty much fair game.

Best place to embark on - a terrifying road (makes it seem like the caravans and migrants are travelers).

This is very interesting, but how do you attack caravans? Will the civilizations declare war if you seize the content of the wagon?
If you produce no wealth (being a parasite), will migrants still come?

Ebenezer cancels Dwarf Fortress: seeking infant.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2010, 03:58:48 pm »

You can attack caravans by enticing them inside then closing the entrance so they can't leave.

Migrants will come even if you do not export any wealth.
Pages: [1] 2