Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: War Dog Challange  (Read 4337 times)

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: War Dog Challange
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2010, 02:21:03 pm »

Forgot that there was a popcap on species - thanks Martin.

If you removed this popcap and breed huge swathes of dogs, they can kill almost anything. Even an Elite Archer is going to run out of ammo, and then he is eventually going to get tired when he wades in to melee and eaten.

Using Pressure Plates and putting cages around blind corners (for best effect, put PP on the corner and cages before and after), even squads of Archers can be quickly destroyed.

It really needs to be huge numbers, though. I remember once (many fortresses ago) getting 2 elite marksgobbos each leading up a squad of ranged units, and an elite sword or axe-gobbo leading a 3rd squad, with 2 other squads led by elite attacking as well. That sword/axe gobbo killed 5 of my champions when we rushed him and wounded enough others that my melee forces were then far too weak to take on the remaining forces. They also brought a dozen trolls with them. My ranged units might have been able to turn the tide, but the elite marksgobbos had the ability to take them out. The fortress would have fallen if not for a dragon that had arrived on the map just days before who greeted the two squads of ranged gobbos and barbecued them and set the map on fire which like a month later finally caught up with and torched most of the trolls that were busting the place up on the other side of the map. That allowed me to use my remaining forces on the last two squads, getting in just enough damage that the siege broke and they ran off. The dragon fortunately decided to wander into a cage trap I had set to catch mountain goats. Even with a well planned out approach, I doubt 200 war dogs would have done the job.

Part of the problem is that once you unleash them on the first squads, they're now scattered and out of your control. When later squads arrive, particularly if they are ranged, the massing effect from the dogs is lost and there's 300 bolts ready to be unleashed on them as the dogs attack a few at a time.

So you really need to be able to release enough dogs to take care of two squads arriving simultaneously (what I usually see) and then have in reserve enough dogs to take care of the next two squads that arrive. And if you are brave enough to try this with orcs, you have to have enough dogs in reserve to replace those that are lost as you're likely to get sieged every 2 seasons. 

So, yeah, you could survive one siege with a smaller population, but if you want to be able to handle recurring threats you need far, far more than you might realize.

(That was an awesome map, too. There was a huge cliff running down the center of the map so you couldn't travel from east to west. The fortress had an entrance to each level which turned out to be a bad layout since it divided my forces, but there was a massive exposed/underground chasm and a pit. There were GCSs everywhere - it was impossible to keep the population down and it was difficult to get a melee army properly trained up because those little bastards would come in and snipe the guys on the ground when they were out protecting the dwarves carrying in looted armor and destroyed trade caravans. Had I only had orcs back then, and known half of what I know now.)

sproingie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2010, 02:25:47 pm »

War Imps would work great as ranged troops.

War Carp FTW  ;D

Toady is the man who Peter Molyneux wishes he was

Quote from: ToadyOne
dragon pus was like creamy gold. Infect and collect!

Chicken Launcher

• Bay Watcher
  • Poultry Technician
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2010, 03:38:11 pm »

I can imagine making a series of rooms separated by drawbridges or floodgates and such to stop marksman fire, sorta like this:

X - door/bridge
C - war dog cage
░ - floor
█ - wall

█████░███░███░█████
█████X███X███X█████
█████C███C███C█████
░░░X░░░X░░░X░░░X░░░
░░░X░░░X░░░X░░░X░░░
░░░X░░░X░░░X░░░X░░░
███████████████████

The goblins would pass into one of the sections, it would be closed, and the dogs would be released from the cages. The goblins would probably be separated into groups of about 4, so the dozens of war dogs at close range would overwhelm them. However, it would be so mind-numbingly slow and tedious to reset the dog cages for every 3 or 4 goblins that it's not worth the effort. Not to mention chances are at least a few goblins would slip past the bridges and create a lot of Fun inside your fort.
"Did you ever notice any time you see two groups of people who really hate each other, chances are good they’re wearing different kinds of hats? Keep an eye on that, it might be important." - George Carlin

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2010, 07:18:34 pm »

how about this: Embark on a map full of skeletal creatures, catch the creatures and fill a defense room with their cages as a defense, no marksgoblin, no matter how good is going to take down more then two skeletal elephants, the only problem would be cleering the undead after, maybe fill a long corridor with ccage traps and a chained animal at the end, so when you open the undead will go after it and get caught again, or maybe they could wander off the map?
Nom nom nom

Pasakoye

• Bay Watcher
  • c is for SCAMPS
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2010, 09:03:05 pm »

Thanks for all the responses, I plan on using only war dogs, and a a lot of cages. I may use chains but if I do I'm going to at least have a lever to release them in case of an emergency. Also, if I do use bridges, it will be retracting ones, with a small pit that the dogs can walk into, maybe with dogs in it already. I want death to be from only dogs, no atom smashing/falling.
I play as elves.
What the f*ck is wrong with you?
DF doesn't have a learning curve. It has a sheer cliff face. And you have to climb it with nothing but a keyboard.

Chicken Launcher

• Bay Watcher
  • Poultry Technician
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2010, 10:53:51 pm »

Thanks for all the responses, I plan on using only war dogs, and a a lot of cages. I may use chains but if I do I'm going to at least have a lever to release them in case of an emergency. Also, if I do use bridges, it will be retracting ones, with a small pit that the dogs can walk into, maybe with dogs in it already. I want death to be from only dogs, no atom smashing/falling.

Actually, I think what would work best would be if you had a shallow pit (no falling damage) that contains most of your wardogs, that you can somehow drop goblins into one by one.
"Did you ever notice any time you see two groups of people who really hate each other, chances are good they’re wearing different kinds of hats? Keep an eye on that, it might be important." - George Carlin

NRN_R_Sumo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2010, 08:03:10 am »

Better yet, have that shallow platform be surrounded by magma, so that the goblins fall into it should they try to dodge.
A dwarf is nothing but an alcohol powered beard.

Kav

• Bay Watcher
  • b-C-w
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2010, 11:11:58 am »

I tried something like this once. I did it with regular non-war dogs. Just make a statue garden where you want them to congregate. Yeah crossbow goblins cut them up, but there were over 50 of them. There's nothing quite like watching an ocean of puppies wash over a goblin ambush.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2010, 03:31:51 pm »

I want death to be from only dogs, no atom smashing/falling.
Does falling a single z-level into a room full of dogs count?

JmzLost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2010, 12:40:43 am »

You nay want to add [CAN_LEARN] to your dogs.  A group of 6 dogs (and their puppies) will end up with several Legendary social skills by the end of the first year, and they'll have perfect agility, so even Elves Hippies won't be able to outrun them.  Also less time for bowgobs to shoot them.

The only problems I've had using dogs for my early defense are:
    1)   Puppies won't fight, so I get a massive rush AWAY from any invaders (eats FPS)
    2)   Dogs make a huge mess when they kill something.  I swear there were enough (kobold chunks) lying around for 3 kobolds after the last thief met my dogs.

JMZ
Also, obviously, magma avalanches and tsunamis weren't exactly a contingency covered in the mission briefing.
I can assure you that Ardentdikes is not the first fortress to be flooded with magma. What's unusual is that we actually meant to flood it with magma.

As Always

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2010, 01:18:28 am »

My army once consisted of bears. I modded in trainable bears, bred a lot of them, then assigned a dwarf the title of 'bear keeper'. He did nothing but tend to the bears - he raised them, trained them for war, and when the enemy reared it's head, he marched out onto the field of battle with his pack of bears by his side. He carried no weapon besides a simple iron staff, and only a covering of light chainmail protected him.

Best army ever. Is there any way to make animal armour? That'd make that plan twice as good.
"...Although, how you misplace an entire corpse is beyond me."

Slappy Moose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2010, 01:52:45 am »

Forgot that there was a popcap on species - thanks Martin.

If you removed this popcap and breed huge swathes of dogs, they can kill almost anything. Even an Elite Archer is going to run out of ammo, and then he is eventually going to get tired when he wades in to melee and eaten.

Using Pressure Plates and putting cages around blind corners (for best effect, put PP on the corner and cages before and after), even squads of Archers can be quickly destroyed.
How can you remove the population cap?
Zaneg Thazor: Armok Reincarnate Story http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=19291.msg196691#msg196691

[Healthcare Update Thread] Personally, I can't wait for doctors to get possessed and start surgically attaching axes to champion soldier's arms.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2010, 12:07:49 pm »

Is there any way to make animal armour? That'd make that plan twice as good.
You can make leather armour, but it appears that in the next version not only will you be able to make you armour out of bears, you'll be be able to make the weapons out of bears too.

sproingie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2010, 12:22:06 pm »

I think the question was whether you can make armor worn by animals.
Toady is the man who Peter Molyneux wishes he was

Quote from: ToadyOne
dragon pus was like creamy gold. Infect and collect!

blue sam3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2010, 12:43:14 pm »

Code: [Select]
WWWW.WWWW
WW.....WW
WW.WWW.WW
WD.DWD.DW
WD.DWD.DW
WD.DWD.DW
WD.DWD.DW
WD.DWD.DW
WD.DWD.DW
WW.....WW
WWWW.WWWW

Could be improved to add caravan access.
Pages: 1 [2] 3