Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Diplomatic Relations  (Read 1220 times)

Talanic

• Bay Watcher
  • Struggling author / pizza delivery guy.
    • View Profile
Re: Diplomatic Relations
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2010, 03:19:03 pm »

Generals and other officers may garner respect from the nobility, but usually a factor in that is because they were members of noble houses before they joined the military.  Grunt troops rarely got more than their fair payment for their services.  The problem here is that your nobles are all newly-elevated and don't have prestige from their ancestral lines to fall back on; they worked their way up to nobility, which means they're likely to be scorned by others.

I just have to say that you're bringing up good points and improving the idea.  Some nobles might call on you for military aid - this could forge or bolster a lasting friendship, or get your dorfs kicked to the curb once they've given you your payment. 

Also, in the upcoming version, the king doesn't send you a baron.  He sends your fort an official notice that your fort's a barony and asks YOU...which of your dorfs is now a baron?  Kill off your nobles and you'll just have other dorfs appointed as nobles.  The old system of killing all nobles might be obsolete, which is why I'm hoping to figure something that'll be less annoying and possibly more useful.
I'm an aspiring Science Fiction and Fantasy writer.  I'm telling the tale of a hapless cyborg everyman lost in a savage fantasy world.

My first review from a real magazine!

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2010, 05:43:24 pm »

Space Empires was always better anyway.
If you think SE was good, you should check out Stars!. Much of the good bits of SE without the hideous UI.

Which version of SE are you referring to? By 5 the UI's pretty good. There's still a little to much "A" in the AI, but it's getting better.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Ankheg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Chasing the Sunset
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2010, 08:31:37 am »

Apologies for the late response.
I've tried SE3-5, and alas been annoyed by the GUI in all of them.  I found it bulky, unintuitive and hard to figure out and perform tasks that should be simple.  The simultaneous multiplayer mode is also rather lacking in orders you can perform.  It does have its highpoints, though, of course.  The AI is infinitely more capable than the one in stars!, and I do enjoy the depth of the tech tree, for instance.  Regardless, the UI does keep me going back to stars! even for singleplayer games, where SE should be clearly superior.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2010, 10:00:26 am »

5 has a few interface issues, like sorting ship designs or cloaking fleets, but anything else can be done in three clicks or less, which is not bad.

The AI is pitiful unless you use a mod, though.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.
Pages: 1 [2]