Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: soldier(s) thinking every fellow dwarf is an enemy  (Read 1997 times)

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
soldier(s) thinking every fellow dwarf is an enemy
« on: January 06, 2010, 12:09:46 am »

I had many dwarf merchants go mad (berzerk) by locking them in with a wall, my soldiers took care of them and after awhile those soldiers had gone mad but still sane and targeted every civllian and other squads even his own and effectivly killed everyone but himself

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
Re: soldier(s) thinking every fellow dwarf is an enemy
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2010, 12:10:35 am »

but they were not in a "mood"

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2010, 12:20:14 am »

If your soldiers never actually went Berserk (i.e. they still showed up as smileys rather than @ signs), it's possible that the act of killing berserk Dwarven merchants triggered a loyalty cascade, causing your soldiers to become enemies of their own civilization.

This is, by the way, very awesome.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2010, 01:29:33 am »

after awhile those soldiers had gone mad but still sane

What does this mean?  What did the game say that caused you to draw this conclusion?

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2010, 02:10:22 pm »

I forgot to check the game log, I will recreate this event and see what it says. But the soldiers just decided to attack everyone, and my other soldiers just stood there and took it, and not too well. Its as if my rouge soldiers turned into a savage animal but remained a part of my civ

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2010, 02:12:37 pm »

Well, that sounds exactly like if they went berserk.  By "still sane" did you mean that their unit views didn't label them as "In a berserk rage"?

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2010, 11:06:37 pm »

they arn't regestered as berzerk themselves (never had a mood) and other units ignore these "Ima firin' my lazer!" soldiers here is the game log nothing really suspicious just alot of interupts and struck downs after the merchant interupts
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

nothing out of the ordinarythe error log reports nothing

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2010, 03:42:28 am »

they arn't regestered as berzerk themselves (never had a mood)

They don't have to have had a mood to go berserk.  Insanity happens whenever they get extremely unhappy, failed moods are just one way of becoming very unhappy.

Anyway, it looks like you had a couple military dwarves throwing tantrums.  One of them is even mentioned in that log: "Fath Likotokil Igathteling, Marksdwarf is throwing a tantrum!"  The other tantrums probably started before the beginning of that log.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2010, 09:22:09 am »

Tantruming soldiers shouldn't be scaring nearby civilians, though - it actually looks like they've somehow become enemies of your own civilization, the start of a loyalty cascade.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Arrkhal

• Bay Watcher
  • Who modded in these flying killer attack babies???
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2010, 12:22:39 pm »

Does sound like my Entity-Civ loyalty cascade theory is correct, then.  Dwarven merchants are always from the same Civ as you, but a different Entity.
In development: Arrkhal's Material and Weapon balance
Please test and let me know what still needs fixing.  And get these freakin' babies offa me!

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2010, 03:02:41 pm »

If it's actually a loyalty cascade, I'm going to hazard a guess that he's using 40c or some other version prior to 40d.  One of the bugs fixed in 40d was "stopped thrown tantrum items from causing dwarf to become site enemy."

I didn't even realize until now that this thread is in Bug Reports, but yeah... version number, please?

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2010, 09:53:06 pm »

The Version of DF is 0.28.181.40d, and the reason the marksdwarf threw a tantrum is because on his rampage he killed all his friends, he later went into a state of major depression and the other marksdwarf went stark raving mad, thus ending my fort... If this is only happening to me and noone else, its probally not that big of a deal... Just drives me nuts when I have a good fort and a soldier just likes to murder everyone, I'll just stop killing merchants. Still confuses me that this would happen

Arrkhal

• Bay Watcher
  • Who modded in these flying killer attack babies???
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2010, 10:11:30 pm »

If it's actually a loyalty cascade, I'm going to hazard a guess that he's using 40c or some other version prior to 40d.  One of the bugs fixed in 40d was "stopped thrown tantrum items from causing dwarf to become site enemy."

That's pretty different.  That only means that someone from Entity A of Civ A can no longer trigger a loyalty cascade by throwing things at someone else from Entity A of Civ A.

My theory is that loyalty cascades still occur when someone from Entity A of Civ A attacks someone from Entity B of Civ A.  Merchants come from the player's Civilization, but are of a different Entity, thus attacking a merchant is different.
In development: Arrkhal's Material and Weapon balance
Please test and let me know what still needs fixing.  And get these freakin' babies offa me!

Firehound

• Bay Watcher
  • !!human!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2010, 05:33:21 pm »

That is cool. Did you try to deactivate Urist McOswald?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)