Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [40d16][Not Bug] Apparent Return of Bug #000275  (Read 1525 times)

katroclopse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[40d16][Not Bug] Apparent Return of Bug #000275
« on: January 05, 2010, 10:35:49 pm »

-----------NOT BUG------------

Original Bug Entry:
000275 ▪ (0.22.123.23a) [dwarf mode][jobs][farming and the farmer's workshop]    farmer does not harvest certain plants and keeps walking over to them to try

Relevant Info:
  • Dwarves All Harvest On.
  • Dwarves Gather Food On.
  • Appropriate Stockpile Vacant. <--Incorrect
  • Multiple Dwarves Idle.
  • No Irrigation Attempts.
  • This fort was stricken with a Nemesis Error and was recovered by abandonment and reclaim.--After backup data was added; note: it has been reclaimed several times hence, and this is the first time that this error was noticeable, although this error would account for the the previous forts' starvation deaths.--
  • No cancellation message at time of apparent bug.
  • Dwarf Therapist running in background.
  • No mods to my knowledge.
  • Dwarf Fortress Version 40D16.

I have noticed that a dwarf--and later, several others--would move to a plump helmet which is to be harvested and then quickly run away with nothing in hand, only to return a second later to try again.  Some plump helmets are harvested and moved off to be eaten directly.  Many plump helmets go uneaten and subsequently wilt.--Proof that they are not being harvested?--

I apologize if I have neglected any information; this is to be my first bug report regarding dwarf fortress.

Addendum:
  • When a dwarf--that will fail--attempts to grab a plump helmet, a teal question mark replaces the dwarf momentarily. --Dwarves will flash a red question mark one or two seconds after realizing they have failed to harvest; it is at this point that they might go back and try harvesting again, or just to continue on with other jobs.--
  • Plump Helmets are successfully harvested when used for brewing as well as, previously mentioned, when they will be eaten directly.
Save:  http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=1746
  • The affected farm is located on z-level 148, west of the circular lake.
  • Dwarf D2 looks to be the closest dwarf tasked with harvesting at the time of the save and will exhibit the bug for me.
Init:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

--Edit2: Added Save and Init information, removed init comments, clarified addendum.--
--Edit: Reformatted post slightly, corrected inaccurate statement.--
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 08:33:26 am by katroclopse »

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: [40d16] Apparent Return of Bug #000275
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2010, 01:26:20 am »

No cancellation message at time of apparent bug.

Are your cancellation options set to "Show all cancellations" or only "Show some"?

Also, for future reference, I know you were trying to help keep things tidy with the spoilers (thanks!), but for a bug report it's better not to make people click.[/list]

katroclopse

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: January 06, 2010, 01:53:45 am »

Show all.--There are plenty of cancellations for the standard reasons, but none concerning the dwarves who are bugging.--
    « Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 01:55:32 am by katroclopse »

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: January 06, 2010, 03:25:30 am »

If you can upload (to the DF File Depot) a save that demonstrates this problem, it might be really helpful.  It sounds like it's happening pretty consistently, so hopefully you can catch it in action.  Thanks for your very thorough report, by the way.

katroclopse

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: January 06, 2010, 03:47:34 am »

A save--with the bug--has been added to the first post. Detail is not a problem, the game--Dwarf Fortress-- is likely worth such reporting.

--Edited for clarity.--
    « Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 04:02:13 am by katroclopse »

katroclopse

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: January 07, 2010, 07:04:47 am »

Started a new save today, the harvest problem seems to have disappeared.  I suspect, highly, that the reappearance the bug 000275 was a result of the nemesis error/recovery process/multiple abandon-reclaims.  --Not entirely sure which of the three, but the first and second seem to be most likely.

I'm going to alter the thread title to reflect the nature of the problem--something like "this does not appear to be a widespread bug, just something associated with a nemesis error/recovery attempt"--.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    Re: [40d16][Likely Nemesis Based eg Not Bug] Apparent Return of Bug #000275
    « Reply #6 on: January 07, 2010, 07:08:52 am »

Huh.  I don't know how that stuff would have messed with harvesting, but if the bug's gone...

katroclopse

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    [Not Bug] Apparent Return of Bug #000275[Not Bug]
    « Reply #7 on: January 07, 2010, 08:27:05 am »

It appears that placing a generic food stockpile will remedy the problem. --I had been using a plant&cooked food stockpile; but, it is possible that I inadvertently did not include plants.--  *facepalms*

I was tempted to make a new stockpile after the symptoms of not having one in my new save were an exact match to the "bugged" save.
    « Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 08:29:09 am by katroclopse »