Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Oversized, hand-drawn tileset: Smirk's Folly (Work In Progress)  (Read 7268 times)

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Oversized, hand-drawn tileset: Smirk's Folly (Work In Progress)
« on: January 05, 2010, 09:50:17 pm »

Right, so.

A while ago, this one guy Japa posted a thread wherein he began to make a beautiful looking tileset:
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=40877.0

It never was finished, as far as I know. But I took a look at it, said to myself "that looks like fun!", grabbed a mechanical pencil and some printer paper, and set to work.

An interval ensued.

The story of that interval is long and convoluted and even involves a narrow escape from death at one point, but I'm too tired to tell it now. The upshot is that I've got this tileset that I'd like some feedback on. It's over on the DFFD. I'll warn ye right now that it's not so good to actually play with; the graphics look pretty bad when you're not zoomed in with 40d16's zoom feature, and that feature doesn't lend itself to playability at the moment.

Tileset was originally designed to be 8800x8800 (each tile 550x550), but got cut back to 2048x2048 (each tile 128x128) so that DF would start without immediately crashing. I'm running a GeForce 7900 GS on AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+, and the maximum size tileset I could load was 2831x2831 (at 2832x2832 the game told me to upgrade my GPU O_o ). Cutting it back to a power of 2 made sense for some reason.

Also, screenshots:

Spoiler: Embark (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Mining Away (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Wall Designs (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Furniture (click to show/hide)
From top left to bottom right: armor stand, door, coffin, chair, grate, hatch, down stair, up stair, up/down stair, down stair again, cabinet, chest, table, statue, weapon rack, quern (looks like a well, I know, and so do ant hills and rings. Ah well.)

Spoiler: Outside (click to show/hide)
Trees and logs and prickle berries, oh my!

The font isn't mine, incidentally; I shamelessly stole it from here

I don't think it's quite finished yet, really. There's still 11 blank tiles that I'll try to fill in later with something useful. I might even attempt to make this a full graphics pack at some point, though that is most likely beyond even my hubristic reach. But I figured the thing is complete enough now to be posted and get some feedback on. So please, backfeed me!
« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 11:37:15 pm by smirk »
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

NRN_R_Sumo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Oversized, hand-drawn tileset: Smirk's Folly (Work In Progress)
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2010, 11:23:39 pm »

I like it, but you should really consider adding some spec's  to the `,' type ground tiles as everything seems to be floating otherwise, and it should flatten out the display enough to do so.
A dwarf is nothing but an alcohol powered beard.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2010, 11:28:14 pm »

I like the way that Japa does the water, maybe you could do something similar for grass, pebbles and stone and such. As NRN said, it'd give it a much more complete look IMO.
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2010, 11:38:30 pm »

Yeah, I was kinda on the fence about it meself. I'll make some fuzzy backgrounds for 'em and see how it looks.

edit: Also, I just realized that too much transparency in my natural walls makes them eye-searingly white. Fixing that now.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 07:11:49 pm by smirk »
also
his moist amphibian skin

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2010, 07:14:19 pm »

Updated. Made rough floor tiles with backgrounds; it does help quite a bit. Also, tree saplings are now visible, and barrels actually look like barrels. Played around with the water tiles a bit too.
Spoiler: bonobos by brook (click to show/hide)

Also changed around the natural wall tiles; they're not done yet but at least they're not mind-numbingly white anymore.
Spoiler: walls and webs (click to show/hide)
That's cobaltite, realgar and native aluminum. Rough microcline and rhyolite floors. And cave spider silk webs.

Also, dogs are now 100% more graphical!

And the population screen, to show off the font.
Spoiler: popscreen (click to show/hide)

same place on DFFD, right here.

Time to thicken lines on some quite a few tiles to improve visibility.
also
his moist amphibian skin

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2010, 07:43:05 pm »

Right, so.

A while ago, this one guy Japa posted a thread wherein he began to make a beautiful looking tileset:
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=40877.0

It never was finished, as far as I know. But I took a look at it, said to myself "that looks like fun!", grabbed a mechanical pencil and some printer paper, and set to work.

An interval ensued.

The story of that interval is long and convoluted and even involves a narrow escape from death at one point, but I'm too tired to tell it now. The upshot is that I've got this tileset that I'd like some feedback on. It's over on the DFFD. I'll warn ye right now that it's not so good to actually play with; the graphics look pretty bad when you're not zoomed in with 40d16's zoom feature, and that feature doesn't lend itself to playability at the moment.

Tileset was originally designed to be 8800x8800 (each tile 550x550), but got cut back to 2048x2048 (each tile 128x128) so that DF would start without immediately crashing. I'm running a GeForce 7900 GS on AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+, and the maximum size tileset I could load was 2081x2081 (at 2082x2082 the game told me to upgrade my GPU O_o ). Cutting it back to a power of 2 made sense for some reason.

Also, screenshots:

Spoiler: Embark (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Mining Away (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Wall Designs (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Furniture (click to show/hide)
From top left to bottom right: armor stand, door, coffin, chair, grate, hatch, down stair, up stair, up/down stair, down stair again, cabinet, chest, table, statue, weapon rack, quern (looks like a well, I know, and so do ant hills and rings. Ah well.)

Spoiler: Outside (click to show/hide)
Trees and logs and prickle berries, oh my!

The font isn't mine, incidentally; I shamelessly stole it from here

I don't think it's quite finished yet, really. There's still 11 blank tiles that I'll try to fill in later with something useful. I might even attempt to make this a full graphics pack at some point, though that is most likely beyond even my hubristic reach. But I figured the thing is complete enough now to be posted and get some feedback on. So please, backfeed me!
Love this.
THPÆCROSSISM
ΘπÆ┼ - Rise up against our superiors! Let all dwarves be equal!
KHDownloads

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2010, 09:58:38 pm »

I'm absolutely loving it!

I do have a couple (possible?) requests...

Could you possibly make a blending grass tile? So there isn't that black line around it. Also make it so there isn't the comma period or w/e in the tile?

Maybe web look a bit more... web like?

Also, I think if you lessened the amount of lines through letters they might be a bit more pleasing.

Just throwing out some ideas, love it either way, would be nice to see a 16x16 tileset or a version of this that looks good zoomed out.

I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2010, 08:30:29 am »

Why not draw a bonobo instead of a b?
THPÆCROSSISM
ΘπÆ┼ - Rise up against our superiors! Let all dwarves be equal!
KHDownloads

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2010, 12:36:34 am »

Spent far too much time on the transparency for engraved walls, then discovered the feather function in Photoshop and did it all over again! At least engraved walls don't make your fort look like Candyland anymore. Also upped the brightness on most tiles so they're a bit more visible. And played with natural walls some more.

Could you possibly make a blending grass tile? So there isn't that black line around it. Also make it so there isn't the comma period or w/e in the tile?

Done and done. I like the punctuated ground myself, but it's not too difficult to modify that. It's a separate file in the art folder; ye'll need to change your init to use it instead. And also set VARIED_GROUND_TILES to NO in said init. Picture!

I feel like that meself, some days =P

I can't do much with the webs though; that same tile is also used for gems, the masterpiece symbol, the sun symbol, the currency symbol, gear assemblies, and fireballs. For that same reason, all bracelets and ant colonies will look like wells. Such is the limitation of DF's current graphical system, unfortunately  O_o

And yeah, a different font would probably go a long way toward making things more usable when not zoomed in. But Tusj just looks so cool! I'll go find some other fonts later and play around with 'em =D

Why not draw a bonobo instead of a b?

Someday, somehow, if I wish upon a star and always leave bread and milk out for the Fair Folk, then this will be a graphical set. At the moment the only creatures with graphics are Dwarves, cats, dogs, various vermin, and a couple of fish. It'll get there! Just slowly.

More screens!

Sounds like a country song to me O_0

It makes perfect sense!
also
his moist amphibian skin

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2010, 12:38:46 am »

This looks excellent, but it seems like it'd be really slow... also, with such room to draw, why do you still have "d" and "H" and such?

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2010, 01:07:02 am »

This looks excellent, but it seems like it'd be really slow... also, with such room to draw, why do you still have "d" and "H" and such?

Ah, probably should've clarified that. It's still 16x16 tiles, 256 total, as that's the amount DF reads. But it's 2048x2048 pixels for more detail per tile. Still working on creature graphical sets; I'm a slow sketcher.

Runs just as fast as any other tileset, but ye need to use 40d16's zoom in feature to see it properly =P
also
his moist amphibian skin

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2010, 01:31:38 am »

Wow, really? It seems intuitive that using larger files for the pictures would make the game run slower...

Anyway, great work!

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2010, 02:44:19 am »

Naw, graphics don't cause any slow down in the game, at least never that I've noticed.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2010, 04:24:54 am »

They do, but at the very specific level, which most video cards have passed long time ago. Some Voodoo 3dfx card should get a hit, anything higher than Nvidia Geforce MX (or maybe even lower) with 16 Mb of video memory should have no problems with it.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2010, 04:52:58 am »

that doll will haunt me for the rest of my days.

otherwise great tileset.