Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Taking Trophies.  (Read 1610 times)

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Taking Trophies.
« on: January 05, 2010, 09:16:22 pm »

How do you commemorate a victory? Of any scale? Or a defeat?

Personally, whenever a thief or babysnatcher comes to my fort and my soldiers paint the walls with its blood, I place a weapon trap in my entrance, using only the guy's no-longer-needed dagger.

And every time a dwarf dies, I place an obsidian statue outside my fort. The quality level is determined by the dwarf's highest skill (no-skill to competent = base quality, skilled-talented = well-crafted, etc.) Champion military dwarves get theirs in my entrance.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

mission0

• Bay Watcher
  • He is on a mission!
    • View Profile
Re: Taking Trophies.
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2010, 09:26:57 pm »

I place their coffin then return them to the ultimate stone of obsidian where they will be able to rest forever in peace. Basically make a bauxite coffin, or a regular one if you dump water first. Then dump the opposite of whatever you chose first to put over the coffin and let it cool. And voila a good commemorative for your dwarf, engrave at will.
Oh wait, "insane" doesn't work on this forum.
Crap, can't think of an alternative.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2010, 09:34:14 pm »

I might just start carboniting the corpses.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

mission0

• Bay Watcher
  • He is on a mission!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2010, 09:37:57 pm »

I might just start carboniting the corpses.

Be careful, I have never checked to see if it has actually destroyed the corpse and causes a bad thought. My legendary dining room makes me not have to worry about such things, heheh.

Anyways as for goblins? I normally like to accumulate prisoners until I have about 10 of two different races and then have them fight it.

mareck

• Bay Watcher
  • Ahhhh, Dwarf meat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2010, 04:46:23 am »

Ah, Trophies.
I first kill them, then forbid all other refuse...
create a custom stockpile in your throne/trophy room and make a Totem of the guy.

Then your dwarves/ goblins can see their enemy forever.
Art is a Blast

M.R. Siegal

• Bay Watcher
  • Menaces with spikes of sarcasm
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2010, 11:32:15 am »

In my first successful fortress I had a bit of a bronze colossus problem.  So I started to accumulate masterwork bronze statues.  I started placing them in a foyer in commemoration.  After that, whenever I killed a megabeast I used its bones to decorate a platinum statue and added to the foyer.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2010, 12:34:29 pm »

I place their coffin then return them to the ultimate stone of obsidian where they will be able to rest forever in peace. Basically make a bauxite coffin, or a regular one if you dump water first. Then dump the opposite of whatever you chose first to put over the coffin and let it cool. And voila a good commemorative for your dwarf, engrave at will.

I'm going to steal that idea for the next version. Currently, the coffins are in statue gardens scattered around the fort. Recently a tantruming child got into one and destroyed half the coffins and a half dozen statues. Given the amount of masterwork statues I had in that one... Fun will ensue.

Vicomt

• Bay Watcher
  • Just call me Vic.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2010, 03:06:52 pm »

I have all the skulls of all my defeated foes stored in a vault, in the (still under construction at 8 years) underground cathedral in a cavern at the bottom of my fortress.

Arrkhal

• Bay Watcher
  • Who modded in these flying killer attack babies???
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2010, 03:17:20 pm »

I like to Offer a single goblin skull totem to my civ leader for every time we defeat a goblin siege.
In development: Arrkhal's Material and Weapon balance
Please test and let me know what still needs fixing.  And get these freakin' babies offa me!

monkeyfetus

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring:terrible puns]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2010, 03:30:27 pm »

Whenever I kill a megabeast/demon, I move its remains to a special tomb and forbid them. I make a new tomb for each megabeast.
Why does my adventurer keep crying?
Greiger's is actually correct...  sadly enough.  The emotional circumstance processor is still turned on, with a randomly rolled up personality, but they can't express themselves or take control...  they can only cry.

mission0

• Bay Watcher
  • He is on a mission!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2010, 03:54:27 pm »

I'm going to steal that idea for the next version. Currently, the coffins are in statue gardens scattered around the fort. Recently a tantruming child got into one and destroyed half the coffins and a half dozen statues. Given the amount of masterwork statues I had in that one... Fun will ensue.

Seems I have made a new way to commemorate the dead, ^_^

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2010, 03:57:02 pm »

I make their skulls into totems. Humanoid skull totems are sold/given to the respective race.

Otherwise, I tend to use skull totems as my main export. Usually of goblins.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Earth Striker Lurin

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's Go to Work...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2010, 07:36:04 pm »

I have a special magma pool to dump bauxite coffins which are filled.  From the book of Armok:  "we come from the magma, and into the magma we must return."
"So I looked to the left of me, looked to the right of me, raised the giant's severed arm above my head and said 'Let's go to work...'"   -- Lurin Diamondfist relating the time he had to mine without a pick axe.

Biopass

• Bay Watcher
  • Human
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2010, 09:16:44 pm »

I'm a little extreme with my burials/victories. When I utterly destroy a siege, each dwarf that took part gets one high-value (preferably masterpiece) item in his or her room.

When I first lose a warrior, I build a great boat of bauxite with masterpiece coffins. Every warrior gets one, even if it was just Urist McFisherdorf drafted at the edge of the map as he was chased down by a goblin ambush party.

When I have filled every coffin, I set a meeting place around the boat so every idle dwarf in the fortress will come and witness the dedication of the legends of the fortress to the magma, lifeblood of the mountainhomes.

I pile it with high-quality jewelry, furniture, armor, and weapons. And booze.

Only then may the warriors of the fortress go home to rest in peace.
500 fps vanilla 4x4 embark. intel master race.

pushy

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2010, 09:46:24 am »

The very bottom z-level of every fort I make is reserved for burial detail...

There's a giant room which is reserved for wastes of space like immigrants that I immediately killed off (normally because they like cats for their aloofness :P) or dwarves that came as part of a goblin raid. These dwarves are put in plain stone coffins in that mass graveyard.
Normal civilians who die are put in wooden coffins in another mass graveyard on the opposite side of the corridor.
None of the above are ever assigned burial chambers or coffins so on occasion mistakes will be made and they'll be buried in the wrong area...
Soldiers get a 3x3 burial chamber with a green glass coffin.
Nobles get whatever size burial chamber will keep the twat happy, with a clear glass coffin.
Legendary dwarves (including legendary soldiers, though they're very much a rarity in my forts) get a 5x5 burial chamber with an iron coffin.

That's fairly standard for me. Depending on what I've got available, I may choose to have coffins made out of other metals I have in abundance like copper and give them to the soldiers and give green glass to civvies

As for trophies, having a goblin siege party walk through a corridor lined on either side with the skulls (totems) of their unsuccessful predecessors is a rather evil prospect...it's not really morale-shattering but in my head that's basically what it's doing. Their armour and weapons (except whips) are melted down and turned into armour and bolts for my military dwarves and bones turned into crossbows and training bolts, which is to further torment future raiding parties. I can just picture a dwarf crippling a goblin then walking up and saying "Like my crossbow? I made it out of your brother's bones, and the bolts out of his armour" before delivering the killing blow :D
Whips are used to line the boundaries of my arena. The goblins can either stay in the middle of the arena and get killed by my dwarves or a megabeast or whatever...or they can run to the walls and slowly be whipped to death for their cowardice :P
Quote from: Tim Edwards, PC Gamer UK
There are three things I know about dwarves:
1. They've got beards. Even the women.
2. They're short. Especially the women.
3. They're Scottish.
Pages: [1] 2