Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Haunted area, not so haunted?  (Read 1592 times)

mission0

• Bay Watcher
  • He is on a mission!
    • View Profile
Haunted area, not so haunted?
« on: January 05, 2010, 09:10:57 pm »

Basically I have embarked on a location that is completely haunted all across the map in a frozen biome and a volcano. I have yet to have an undead creature, and that includes the creatures in the volcano which were alive as well.

I still get some rather vicious things like WereWolves and Ice Wolves but I can dispatch them easily, any idea as to what is going on to cause me to get un-undead creatures. Just regular elk, and muskox so far.
Oh wait, "insane" doesn't work on this forum.
Crap, can't think of an alternative.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: Haunted area, not so haunted?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2010, 09:21:18 pm »

Keep living. Eventually the hordes of undead will feel your presence. ;D
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

mission0

• Bay Watcher
  • He is on a mission!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2010, 09:28:38 pm »

I have a feeling that perhaps even Nist Akath will have nothing on the undead hoards that will eventually come my way. *shivers as he he thinks of undead ice wolf packs*

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2010, 10:13:47 pm »

Keep living. Eventually the hordes of undead will feel your presence. ;D

Uh, dunno about this. From my exerience, you either get skeletal/zombie stuff or you don't.

I'm having the same problem, though, with a fort that's embarked on an evil mountain and evil jungle and the mountain produces undead stuff while the jungle trees are still alive, plants aren't dead, and I get perfectly living foxes and deer. It's weird. Yet every time I check, the jungle is still officially listed as evil.

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2010, 10:45:11 pm »

In my experience worldgen is pretty stingy with the fun, other then occasionally dropping you next to a skeletal giant eagle on embark.  Right now I am playing on a Terrifying major river and the worst thing I have seen is a pack of 6 zombie pheasants (Dig deeper, BTW).  Keep in mind Haunted = Medium Savagery though, shoot for terrifying. 
...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...

mission0

• Bay Watcher
  • He is on a mission!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2010, 11:59:08 pm »

gah still annoying... I'll shoot for terrifying next time indeed.

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2010, 01:18:39 am »

Even with Terrifying, undead are not assured.  Although sometimes it's just plain evil awesome.  I found a Terrifying beach once that spawned about 10 to 15 skeletal whales at a time.  And they always made straight for my Dwarves.
Sanity is for the weak.

Mraedis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2010, 01:24:10 am »

I embarked on a Terrifying ocean once, there was one creature, and it wasn't undead.

But after a month, schools of undead tuna and whales began swimming in the seas, and murdering my dwarves in on-land ambushes.  :D
GENERATION 30:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Sorcerer

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2010, 01:52:50 am »

I had a fort where i went for a zombie survial theme.. immediately upon embarking i realize that im completely surrounded by zombie woodland creatures.. unit list said i had six pages of zombie marmots, and even more zombie fish. my dwarves had to get drafted in shifts to they could stave off the zombie horde that eternally shuffeled towards my little camp.

and then came the zombie gcs...

xdarkcodex

• Bay Watcher
  • Watch in awe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2010, 02:19:51 am »

Gcs?The longest I last on a haunted map was 10 minutes and I've only been on a haunted map once. The skeletal wolves kept on re-spawning in my fortress.
the statement below is true
the statement above is false

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2010, 06:10:33 am »

Having the same problem as OP. from some build onward, I am simply getting few or no undead.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

snaggles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2010, 08:04:26 am »

I embarked on a terrifying river once.
All of my dwarves were torn apart by skeletal carp and longnose gar.

monkeyfetus

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring:terrible puns]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2010, 03:40:08 pm »

Why does my adventurer keep crying?
Greiger's is actually correct...  sadly enough.  The emotional circumstance processor is still turned on, with a randomly rolled up personality, but they can't express themselves or take control...  they can only cry.

mission0

• Bay Watcher
  • He is on a mission!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2010, 03:49:16 pm »

Having the same problem as OP. from some build onward, I am simply getting few or no undead.

I haven't seen any undead at all actually. To clarify I am using 40d16

Tcei

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear me! I am Bekat the Adorable Skull!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2010, 06:44:38 pm »

IME haunted/terrifying biomes seems to have a little less than 50/50 chance of creating undead (or the living terrifying critters such as werewolves and harpies). Most of the time it seems to just be a normal map, unless you up the number of evil region squares. I've found that gens where the  world map is 50% or more evil creates the greatest chance for undead/evil critters. And skeletal carp are scarier than everything else in exsistance. I've yet to have a fort survive past the first season on maps where they were involved...
....They just refuse to stay down unless butchered, in which case their skins will haunt you until you subdue and tan them. Never has legendary butcher and legendary tanner seemed so valueable as in this release.
Pages: [1] 2